Help

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
lightenup

Help

Post by lightenup » Thu May 21, 2020 10:00 am

I was fishing the KLG last night. Sulphurs started hatching and about an hour later fish started to rise. I set myself about 50 yards upstream from another angler. I hooked two and landed one in the first 10 minutes. Out of the corner of my eye I see this guy eyeing me up and I could also see he was just starting out with a fly rod..we have all been there!!! I asked him how he was doing...and he said fine, are you using a dry fly? I said yes, you are new at this no? He said yep.. I mentioned sulphurs and he said What? So I offered one to him. A catskill style dry. Did some quick explainin about bugs and drifts and mentioned he may want to take some time practicing casting. He thanked me and went about his flailing..we have all been there. About 30 minutes later and a few more fish in my net, I hear a splash and a giggle..he got one on the fly I tied and gave him...It was more exciting than catching fish that evening...he tried to return the fly...Told him to keep it and he thanked me and went along his merry way. Fly fishing is rewarding in many ways!!!

martalus

Re: Help

Post by martalus » Thu May 21, 2020 10:03 am

I think it is safe to say that he is now hooked! It's great to lend a helping hand like that-while we all learn a lot by doing, sometimes just a little push in the right direction from a fellow angler makes a world of difference in terms of moral and shortening the learning curve. Well done!

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Thu May 21, 2020 10:54 am

Pulling that sulpher out of that box and giving it to him , is great you walk away knowing you did the right thing and maybe started him off on an amazing journey . He walks away thinking your some crazy fish whispering shaman that haunts the KLG

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu May 21, 2020 11:16 am

Jaybird wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:54 am
Pulling that sulpher out of that box and giving it to him , is great you walk away knowing you did the right thing and maybe started him off on an amazing journey . He walks away thinking your some crazy fish whispering shaman that haunts the KLG
Well, I am... ;)

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Thu May 21, 2020 11:32 am

lightenup wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:16 am
Jaybird wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:54 am
Well, I am... ;)

I never had a doubt .

CheeseburgerFly

Post by CheeseburgerFly » Thu May 21, 2020 11:34 am

Awesome gesture and great story. Thank you for sharing.

BillSmith

Post by BillSmith » Thu May 21, 2020 12:43 pm

Barbless correct.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu May 21, 2020 12:54 pm

BillSmith wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:43 pm
Barbless correct.
That goes without question....must be why he lost the fish... :mrgreen:

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Thu May 21, 2020 1:12 pm

Great story and its always nice to see someone helping out their fellow fisherman. Hopefully he turns into someone who is life longer fisherman, conservationist and license buyer! I always try and do my share of helping out other when im at the lake or the stream.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

cappy

Post by cappy » Thu May 21, 2020 1:19 pm

Thanks for sharing, great story.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

barkeater

Post by barkeater » Thu May 21, 2020 9:14 pm

Good for you. I have also given flies to people who need help but I've never seen them catch a fish on one which may be a comment on my fly tying skills.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu May 21, 2020 10:16 pm

lightenup wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:00 am
I was fishing the KLG last night. Sulphurs started hatching and about an hour later fish started to rise. I set myself about 50 yards upstream from another angler. I hooked two and landed one in the first 10 minutes. Out of the corner of my eye I see this guy eyeing me up and I could also see he was just starting out with a fly rod..we have all been there!!! I asked him how he was doing...and he said fine, are you using a dry fly? I said yes, you are new at this no? He said yep.. I mentioned sulphurs and he said What? So I offered one to him. A catskill style dry. Did some quick explainin about bugs and drifts and mentioned he may want to take some time practicing casting. He thanked me and went about his flailing..we have all been there. About 30 minutes later and a few more fish in my net, I hear a splash and a giggle..he got one on the fly I tied and gave him...It was more exciting than catching fish that evening...he tried to return the fly...Told him to keep it and he thanked me and went along his merry way. Fly fishing is rewarding in many ways!!!
KUDOS to you man for helping another :D . Im usually that way with kids. I offer up what Im using when Im catching. But Ive seen dad's take from the kid's afterwards. & that pisses me off :!: :!:
Was known as Troutman1

garden hackle

Post by garden hackle » Fri May 22, 2020 6:18 am

And another dry fly snob is born. Before you know it he will be pointing his finger at work directing what everyone should be doing. :lol:
Public Service Announcement: Sometimes KARMA is best served cold!

Once a box salesman, always a box salesman, and he still cannot think outside of the box!

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Fri May 22, 2020 7:58 am

garden hackle wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:18 am
And another dry fly snob is born. Before you know it he will be pointing his finger at work directing what everyone should be doing. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1