Sipping Rusty Spinners

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Post Reply
User avatar
Twism86
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 pm
Location: Basking Ridge, NJ
Contact:

Sipping Rusty Spinners

Post by Twism86 » Sat May 30, 2020 10:07 pm

Went for a walk through the KLG this evening with the wifey but I of course had bring a rod along. I grabbed my 6’6” boo and a small selection of flies and went out. No waders, just shorts, a backpack and some water shoes. Saw a riser near the trestle and went to work. I threw on a #14 rusty spinner and made a perfect 40’ cast to a nice 12” wild brown that was sipping. After a delicate take, he was on! A nice fight and a fish later I was back on my way, enjoying the evening with my lady. I’m still confused by all the people I see in waders? The water was more than tolerable and nothing is better than wet wading and tossing dries with your bamboo!
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

Troutman
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: Sipping Rusty Spinners

Post by Troutman » Sat May 30, 2020 11:30 pm

Twism86 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:07 pm
I’m still confused by all the people I see in waders?
I dont wet wade anymore. Read a few people that contracted possible infections parasite from a possible open wound from wet wading
Was known as Troutman1

User avatar
Twism86
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 pm
Location: Basking Ridge, NJ
Contact:

Re: Sipping Rusty Spinners

Post by Twism86 » Sat May 30, 2020 11:56 pm

Troutman wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 11:30 pm
Twism86 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:07 pm
I’m still confused by all the people I see in waders?
I dont wet wade anymore. Read a few people that contracted possible infections parasite from a possible open wound from wet wading
If you don’t have any open wounds then you are not at risk.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

User avatar
lightenup
Posts: 320
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: Sipping Rusty Spinners

Post by lightenup » Sun May 31, 2020 9:01 am

Twism86 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 11:56 pm
Troutman wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 11:30 pm
Twism86 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:07 pm
I’m still confused by all the people I see in waders?
I dont wet wade anymore. Read a few people that contracted possible infections parasite from a possible open wound from wet wading
If you don’t have any open wounds then you are not at risk.
Until you get one of them barbed hooks in your bare leg :mrgreen:
I like to wet wade when I start smallmouth fishing...when its 90 degrees out..Im getting old, the cold stiffens my joints..wish it worked that way for everything ;)

User avatar
Drossi
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:05 pm

Re: Sipping Rusty Spinners

Post by Drossi » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:30 am

The next time I find a trout stream that doesn't have any picker bushes between me and the stream will be when I start wet wading....
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

martalus
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:39 pm

Re: Sipping Rusty Spinners

Post by martalus » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:24 am

Maybe I am a little, nuts, but I start wet wading when the water gets above 50 degrees for small streams. I hate the idea of ruining a good pair of waders climbing over rocks/logs etc. Down here, the larger rivers like the Potomac quickly warmed up from the 50s to the mid 70s in the past few weeks so I did my first wet wade for smallies this past weekend. Water is still a bit high to wade out to the rocky channels/islands, but I look forward to future wet wading trips over the next 3 months.

joe_panella
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:08 pm

Re: Sipping Rusty Spinners

Post by joe_panella » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:54 pm

There is nothing I hate more than Putting on some form of waders.

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 662
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: Sipping Rusty Spinners

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:14 pm

Twism86 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 11:56 pm
Troutman wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 11:30 pm
Twism86 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:07 pm
I’m still confused by all the people I see in waders?
I dont wet wade anymore. Read a few people that contracted possible infections parasite from a possible open wound from wet wading
If you don’t have any open wounds then you are not at risk.
Not to mention that chances are that if you do, it is on your hands and not your legs.....

I use Simms wet wading socks with built in gravel guards and my Chota wading boots in summer for work or fishing. Wet wading is so much better than sweating through breathable waders, IMO.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

User avatar
BiggerThomas
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:44 pm
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Re: Sipping Rusty Spinners

Post by BiggerThomas » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:05 pm

My legs are pretty nicked up from bug bites since I've been wearing shorts for the last few weeks...but I love wet wading as much as the next guy, esp on a really hot day.
Every Night & every Morn
Some to Misery are Born
Every Morn and every Night
Some are Born to sweet delight
Some are Born to sweet delight
Some are Born to Endless Night
___________________________
--William Blake, "Auguries of Innocence"

SBR Guy
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu May 28, 2020 10:18 am
Location: High Bridge

Re: Sipping Rusty Spinners

Post by SBR Guy » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:48 am

people look at me like a crazy guy for fishing without waders with the water is still in the 50s. you get used to it in a few minutes. nothing a warm car and a glass of scotch cant fix later.

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 662
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: Sipping Rusty Spinners

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:16 am

SBR Guy wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:48 am
people look at me like a crazy guy for fishing without waders with the water is still in the 50s. you get used to it in a few minutes. nothing a warm car and a glass of scotch cant fix later.
Many of you know Agust Gudmundsson from TU. He wet wades all of the time regardless of water or air temps. I have seen him wet wade in snow before. We were on the Beaverkill recently with water temps at 48 when we started. I had on wool sock under my waders while Agust just waded right in wearing shorts. :shock: :)
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

User avatar
Twism86
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 pm
Location: Basking Ridge, NJ
Contact:

Re: Sipping Rusty Spinners

Post by Twism86 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:08 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:16 am
SBR Guy wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:48 am
people look at me like a crazy guy for fishing without waders with the water is still in the 50s. you get used to it in a few minutes. nothing a warm car and a glass of scotch cant fix later.
Many of you know Agust Gudmundsson from TU. He wet wades all of the time regardless of water or air temps. I have seen him wet wade in snow before. We were on the Beaverkill recently with water temps at 48 when we started. I had on wool sock under my waders while Agust just waded right in wearing shorts. :shock: :)
Its all that icy Icelandic blood in his veins!
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 662
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: Sipping Rusty Spinners

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:28 pm

Twism86 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:08 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:16 am
SBR Guy wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:48 am
people look at me like a crazy guy for fishing without waders with the water is still in the 50s. you get used to it in a few minutes. nothing a warm car and a glass of scotch cant fix later.
Many of you know Agust Gudmundsson from TU. He wet wades all of the time regardless of water or air temps. I have seen him wet wade in snow before. We were on the Beaverkill recently with water temps at 48 when we started. I had on wool sock under my waders while Agust just waded right in wearing shorts. :shock: :)
Its all that icy Icelandic blood in his veins!
IMG_3528.JPG
IMG_3528.JPG (4.7 MiB) Viewed 751 times
I call this photo, "Twins". That's Rick Axt with Agust the Viking.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Post Reply