A new honey hole for me on the Musky

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Troutman
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

A new honey hole for me on the Musky

Post by Troutman » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:14 pm

On fire today😲. Again went scouting for new spots on a river that i have fished for over 45 years🀫. Decided to walk down further then i usually do. What do i find πŸ€”. 1 heck of a honey hole. Im gonna be nice & share the spot with you with some hints you have to figure on your own πŸ˜‰ . Managed 11 trout from this spot the am. water temps was 65* & flowing low. The pocket was about 5ft deep. & here is the picture of the spot for you to 🧐. πŸ‘ luck in finding it 😘πŸ€ͺ🀣🀣
Image
Image
Image
Image
Was known as Troutman1

User avatar
BiggerThomas
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:44 pm
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Re: A new honey hole for me on the Musky

Post by BiggerThomas » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:37 pm

Troutman wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:14 pm
On fire today😲. Again went scouting for new spots on a river that i have fished for over 45 years🀫. Decided to walk down further then i usually do. What do i find πŸ€”. 1 heck of a honey hole. Im gonna be nice & share the spot with you with some hints you have to figure on your own πŸ˜‰ . Managed 11 trout from this spot the am. water temps was 65* & flowing low. The pocket was about 5ft deep. & here is the picture of the spot for you to 🧐. πŸ‘ luck in finding it 😘πŸ€ͺ🀣🀣
Image
Image
Image
Image
Nice looking water there, TM.

But G-damn, it took my computer about 17 mins to load all those freaking emojis :lol:
Every Night & every Morn
Some to Misery are Born
Every Morn and every Night
Some are Born to sweet delight
Some are Born to sweet delight
Some are Born to Endless Night
___________________________
--William Blake, "Auguries of Innocence"

Jerzguy21
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:19 am

Re: A new honey hole for me on the Musky

Post by Jerzguy21 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:47 am

Hint question, north or south of 78 ?

Troutman
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: A new honey hole for me on the Musky

Post by Troutman » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:57 am

BiggerThomas wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:37 pm
Nice looking water there, TM.

But G-damn, it took my computer about 17 mins to load all those freaking emojis :lol:
[/quote]

Thanks BT. Just when you think you know all the spots in the river something like this pops up. Feels like your 1st time in the candy store again :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: A new honey hole for me on the Musky

Post by Troutman » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:58 am

Jerzguy21 wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:47 am
Hint question, north or south of 78 ?
North ;)
Was known as Troutman1

JAD
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:52 pm

Re: A new honey hole for me on the Musky

Post by JAD » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:02 pm

So what fly did you use?

Looks to me like a stretch along rt. 57 west of Hackettstown. But that doesn't narrow it down much.

User avatar
Drossi
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:05 pm

Re: A new honey hole for me on the Musky

Post by Drossi » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:52 pm

Always did well in that stretch along the road. Also got my biggest Musky smallie right around that bend.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Troutman
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: A new honey hole for me on the Musky

Post by Troutman » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:40 pm

JAD wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:02 pm
Looks to me like a stretch along rt. 57 west of Hackettstown. But that doesn't narrow it down much.
your on fire my man....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: A new honey hole for me on the Musky

Post by Troutman » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:42 pm

Drossi wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:52 pm
Always did well in that stretch along the road. Also got my biggest Musky smallie right around that bend.
The smallie was out. I had hooked into a few small 1's. I LOVE the way they peel off line :D :D
Was known as Troutman1

Fishybig
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:43 am

Re: A new honey hole for me on the Musky

Post by Fishybig » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:34 pm

Troutman wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:42 pm
Drossi wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:52 pm
Always did well in that stretch along the road. Also got my biggest Musky smallie right around that bend.
The smallie was out. I had hooked into a few small 1's. I LOVE the way they peel off line :D :D
Exactly why you should consider switching ur target specie this time of yr....just sayin

Fishybig
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:43 am

Re: A new honey hole for me on the Musky

Post by Fishybig » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:35 pm

Troutman wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:42 pm
Drossi wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:52 pm
Always did well in that stretch along the road. Also got my biggest Musky smallie right around that bend.
The smallie was out. I had hooked into a few small 1's. I LOVE the way they peel off line :D :D
Exactly why you should consider switching ur target specie this time of yr....just sayin


I had a banner smallie float yesterday!!!

martalus
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:39 pm

Re: A new honey hole for me on the Musky

Post by martalus » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:49 pm

Where was the smallie float?? I went to Harpers Ferry on Saturday and I had high hopes, but couldnt key in on them. I got two, but 20 or 50 fish days are banner days...Apparently smallies dont eat the two weeks after spawning and flows were a bit high with lots of swimmers/tubers/kayakers, so i will chalk it up to that.

Fishybig
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:43 am

Re: A new honey hole for me on the Musky

Post by Fishybig » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:17 pm

martalus wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:49 pm
Where was the smallie float?? I went to Harpers Ferry on Saturday and I had high hopes, but couldnt key in on them. I got two, but 20 or 50 fish days are banner days...Apparently smallies dont eat the two weeks after spawning and flows were a bit high with lots of swimmers/tubers/kayakers, so i will chalk it up to that.
My banner day waz 5 fish between 18 & 20 "...with a bunch of other fish mixed in...20-50 days are a thing of the past I think...I no longer throw small fish baitz

Troutman
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: A new honey hole for me on the Musky

Post by Troutman » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:46 pm

Fishybig wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:34 pm
Exactly why you should consider switching ur target specie this time of yr....just sayin
Im usually up on the upper west branch delaware this time of the year already angling for the wild browns. But due to the pandemic. It has delayed me. So I stay local & fish only early am with a thermometer 1st. If it isnt cold enough I just go home. But good advise thou. Thx
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: A new honey hole for me on the Musky

Post by Troutman » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:49 pm

Fishybig wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:17 pm
My banner day waz 5 fish between 18 & 20 "...I no longer throw small fish baitz
Are you throwing big plugs for them or swim baits if you dont mind me asking :?:
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: A new honey hole for me on the Musky

Post by Troutman » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:54 pm

martalus wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:49 pm
Where was the smallie float??
Sometimes I angle for them on the east branch of the delaware if the flows are to high on the west branch. definitely strong pulling fish for sure. I usually go for them @ split rock if I stay local for them. I have caught some nice 20" inchers in there. I had a few that pulled me in the kayak around :o
Was known as Troutman1

User avatar
Drossi
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:05 pm

Re: A new honey hole for me on the Musky

Post by Drossi » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:31 pm

Troutman wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:54 pm
martalus wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:49 pm
Where was the smallie float??
Sometimes I angle for them on the east branch of the delaware if the flows are to high on the west branch. definitely strong pulling fish for sure. I usually go for them @ split rock if I stay local for them. I have caught some nice 20" inchers in there. I had a few that pulled me in the kayak around :o
Going to canoe the D around Barryville, NY next week in search of the "bronze trout". Clousers, buggers, and crayfish patterns.....
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

martalus
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:39 pm

Re: A new honey hole for me on the Musky

Post by martalus » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:11 pm

Tis the season for bronzebacks! I managed to break my medium action rod last weekend, but my wife let me get a new St. Croix to match my UL Saint Croix. Honestly a medium light rod would be ideal for smallies, but I wanted a rod with a bit of backbone that can handle catfish and larger bass lures. I also just ordered some more lures and popper flies for the old seven weight. I have been taking kid fishing A TON over the past months for many all day adventures-for father's day, I am going out on my own for a morning session on the upper Potomac so that I can 100 percent focus on finding the bronzebacks. Flows are looking good now-I am hoping that there is not too many strong storms in the coming days.

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 652
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: A new honey hole for me on the Musky

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:44 am

The Musky is 42 miles long from the Lake Hopatcong dam to the Delaware River. You can fish about 30 + of those miles without issue on either public lands or private lands that allow public access. There are so many spots just like the one you are showing here that are NEVER fished that it blows my mind. I'm one of few that has been on every inch of that river numerous times the entire 42 miles.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

User avatar
BiggerThomas
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:44 pm
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Re: A new honey hole for me on the Musky

Post by BiggerThomas » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:40 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:44 am
The Musky is 42 miles long from the Lake Hopatcong dam to the Delaware River. You can fish about 30 + of those miles without issue on either public lands or private lands that allow public access. There are so many spots just like the one you are showing here that are NEVER fished that it blows my mind.

I'm one of few that has been on every inch of that river numerous times the entire 42 miles.
Indeed, I think I remember talk of State officials renaming this river the Rustynetcong... :lol:
Every Night & every Morn
Some to Misery are Born
Every Morn and every Night
Some are Born to sweet delight
Some are Born to sweet delight
Some are Born to Endless Night
___________________________
--William Blake, "Auguries of Innocence"

Post Reply