WMA state maps different than Tax Maps

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
SBRtool

WMA state maps different than Tax Maps

Post by SBRtool » Tue May 08, 2018 11:37 am

Having an issue and was hoping maybe someone could help or point me in the right direction. Was recently fishing a WMA stretch and was told by a landowner from the private side of the bank that I could not fish there and that it was private property. I brought up that I thought it was a WMA but the landowner basically said I was wrong and that he owned land on both sides of the river. Not that its that important but there are also no posted signs on the private side. I knew for a fact that the side I was on was state owned but didn't exactly know how far upstream the state owned land went before both sides became private but I also didn't wanna headache in arguing with the landowner so I was polite and left thinking let me get all my facts straight before I fish this stretch again. Now here's the tricky part. I contacted NJ division of Fish and Wildlife and they sent me a google maps image with the WMA boundaries and they confirmed to me that the state land did in fact stretch much further upstream on left bank facing upstream than the land owner had told me which had me feeling good. However, I also looked at the state tax maps online and they are slightly different than what the Division of Fish and Wildlife sent me. The tax maps indicate the landowner does own both sides of the river much less upstream than the WMA map i was sent. Anyone ever encounter this or know how to find out exactly where the boundaries are. Should I maybe also try contacting the township? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MR.MCR

Re: WMA state maps different than Tax Maps

Post by MR.MCR » Tue May 08, 2018 11:41 am

Geez ........did you read my identical post on NJ Woods and Waters..........sounds as if youre talking SBR ....near a horsefarm.......Rudolphs home waters ....
www.estatesalesbyolga.com 908 272 4857 WE CONDUCT ESTATE SALES WE BUY AND SELL ANTIQUES AND VINTAGE ITEMS

908 868 8236 MIKE

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue May 08, 2018 11:43 am

Township tax assessor's office is the final say. I have seen this more times than I can remember. I even have an issue like this on a private property I manage adjacent to state lands that the Division posts incorrectly and have never been able to resolve it with them. But we have legal surveys that tell the story even if the state has it wrong.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue May 08, 2018 11:44 am

MR.MCR wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:41 am
Geez ........did you read my identical post on NJ Woods and Waters..........sounds as if youre talking SBR ....near a horsefarm.......Rudolphs home waters ....
When I read this, I though at first it was you using a second login name :lol:
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

SBRtool

Post by SBRtool » Tue May 08, 2018 11:47 am

MR.MCR...funny this is after this happened I searched the internet for a long time trying to figure things out and I actually did come across your post and thought to myself...geez, this sounds exactly like what happened to me at the same spot so yeah, we're definitely talking about same place.