Raritan river- rough week ! 6/30/20:

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Re: Raritan river- rough week ! 6/30/20:

Post by BiggerThomas » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:14 pm

BillSmith wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:35 pm
I mean who drags a gas grill down to the river !

18 years ago last week, that was my first date with my now wife. I'd say it worked 😉

Hahahaha just kidding broski
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

CheeseburgerFly

Post by CheeseburgerFly » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:42 am

I guess the Solitude Dam got hit by the "pop-up" craze and High Bridge has taken emergency action to squash it from happening again.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:22 pm

Tik Tock pop up parties are all the rage here in NJ this summer so far. Towns are scrambling, but always after the fact, to shut these down. I got a report yesterday that up to 300 people were swimming in Point Mountain in the two large pools we restored a few years ago. No swimming allowed, but nobody cares.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:19 pm

Im glad they closed that stretch ;) . A true C&R trout angler is not gonna fish it in this heat anyway. I can wait until Fall comes around. Maybe by then it will be open again.
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:20 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:22 pm
Tik Tock pop up parties are all the rage here in NJ this summer so far. Towns are scrambling, but always after the fact, to shut these down. I got a report yesterday that up to 300 people were swimming in Point Mountain in the two large pools we restored a few years ago. No swimming allowed, but nobody cares.
Look what people did to Penwell :o . freakin ANIMALS........ :evil:
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:21 pm

CheeseburgerFly wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:42 am
I guess the Solitude Dam got hit by the "pop-up" craze and High Bridge has taken emergency action to squash it from happening again.
So glad they are doing something about. Freakin ANIMALS that trashed that place :evil:
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:43 pm

This story is popping up everywhere and there seems to be no end in sight. We just have to realize a few things even if none of us likes it. Covid has kept folks cooped up and stir crazy. It is hot as the center of the sun. We haven't seen much rain this calendar year. And Tik Tock and other social media sites are being used to stage events like river rave parties. Many of the people attending these events are from inner cities and don't understand Carry In - Carry Out. Even where there is ample signage about no swimming, picnicking or drinking, those are summarily ignored. That's a bad combination!

The worse thing as I see it is nobody is stopping this. It seems to take at least 24 hours of rage from locals toward their respective towns' authorities to get anything done, and by then the party has moved elsewhere.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:12 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:43 pm
This story is popping up everywhere and there seems to be no end in sight. We just have to realize a few things even if none of us likes it. Covid has kept folks cooped up and stir crazy. It is hot as the center of the sun. We haven't seen much rain this calendar year. And Tik Tock and other social media sites are being used to stage events like river rave parties. Many of the people attending these events are from inner cities and don't understand Carry In - Carry Out. Even where there is ample signage about no swimming, picnicking or drinking, those are summarily ignored. That's a bad combination!

The worse thing as I see it is nobody is stopping this. It seems to take at least 24 hours of rage from locals toward their respective towns' authorities to get anything done, and by then the party has moved elsewhere.
If these people are on tick tok & other social media sites finding about the parties. So can law enforcement. All that have to do monitor that site just like when they are baiting out pedophiles.
Being from the inner city is no excuse for being a PIG imo. Yes we all locked up from this Covid-19 Pandemic. But that does not excused them from ignoring all the rules for that venue. You cant tell me that the local PD in Highbridge didnt see all this. I find it very hard to believe when the police station is about a mile away. They know when you jaywalk across the highway to get to Gronsky's Ice Cream :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:16 pm

The article doesn't mention penwell. Did that get hit with a swim flash mob?

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:10 pm

PortMurrayAng wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:16 pm
The article doesn't mention penwell. Did that get hit with a swim flash mob?
The articles doesnt. But that place has been a issue in the past with the same things happening now. I havent fished there in some years. The last time I was there they had barriers up preventing then a few cars to park. Then signs of no parking afterwards. where you will get ticketed & possibly towed
Was known as Troutman1

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:40 am

Given the current climate towards law enforcement I'm not doubting that officers are more than hesitant to get into any sort of disagreement with partying drunkards. Those situations can go south quickly and at this point will always reflect bad on the officers even if they are doing the right thing. And if they are doing the wrong thing it'd be even more harmful.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:19 am

Attachments
Maybe-If-We-Tell-People-The-Brain-Is-An-App-They-Will-Start-Using-It-Funny-Image.jpg
Maybe-If-We-Tell-People-The-Brain-Is-An-App-They-Will-Start-Using-It-Funny-Image.jpg (51.58 KiB) Viewed 21343 times

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:44 am

I drove by Lake Solitude on Sunday the 19th, packed. Thankfully High Bridge PD were there to direct traffic and hopefully keep people semi-behaved.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

martalus

Post by martalus » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:01 am

Having lived in High Bridge for five years, I am surprised Lake Solitude would be an attractive destination. As I recall, it was shallow, muddy bottomed, and rather stagnant. Were people in the water or collecting in the pool below the dam?

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:11 am

I always thought the lake was private , from the dam up to the bridge where klg ends?maybe I'm wrong....
All pics I've seen are ppl below the dam

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:25 am

martalus wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:01 am
Having lived in High Bridge for five years, I am surprised Lake Solitude would be an attractive destination. As I recall, it was shallow, muddy bottomed, and rather stagnant. Were people in the water or collecting in the pool below the dam?
I have a comment, but I will bit my tongue. People hung out below the dam.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

martalus

Post by martalus » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:09 pm

Below the dam was always a decent spot to catch rock bass and smallies.

CheeseburgerFly

Post by CheeseburgerFly » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:39 pm

I kayaked the south branch a few Sundays ago and observed this happening first hand. I'd pass some loud river parties / bridge jumping followed by locals downstream who were picking up garbage and fed up with the out of towners who were partying upstream. Sad and remotely amusing at the same time.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:54 pm

Fishybig wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:11 am
I always thought the lake was private , from the dam up to the bridge where klg ends?maybe I'm wrong....
All pics I've seen are ppl below the dam
the lake is public up to the club waters which is by the pull off from the road. then its private club waters up to the lower portion of the KLG that has the cable across the river. I fished that section regularly with my spin gear & now with my new NET when fall sets back in :o
Was known as Troutman1