Hacklebarney WTS

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Bob J

Hacklebarney WTS

Post by Bob J » Thu May 10, 2018 6:26 am

Fished one of the WTS's in the park last Saturday. Did far more walking than fishing, but did get to see some nice (tiny) trout rising for a small caddis. Flow was a bit lacking so spots were limited. Legs still sore from the hike! Saw some guys walking around with trout on the Black River.

Rusty Spinner

Re: Hacklebarney WTS

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu May 10, 2018 12:24 pm

Rhinehart's or Trout Brook? Rhinehart's has wild browns encroaching on our native brookies in the lower reaches, and the Division has been undergoing efforts to electrofish them out and move them into the Black River below. Trout Brook, I believe, has a natural waterfall that keeps the browns from interbreeding with and overtaking brook trout.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Thu May 10, 2018 12:31 pm

I talked to the Division and they told me that ~1000 browns were relocated into the Black River. Great news for us BR tenants!

Bob J

Post by Bob J » Fri May 11, 2018 6:19 am

Rhinehart's Brook. Thanks for the info- didn't know they were evicting those fish! Trout Brook does have a waterfall (very picturesque) that would make it impossible for anything to get above it. It's also right next to the parking lot, and much better on the body!

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri May 11, 2018 10:28 am

The Division is fin clipping the relocated browns and looking to see if they recapture any above the lower waterfalls. As I understand it, lower Rhinehart's has a series of small waterfalls and it is believed the browns can get above the lower three, but hopefully not the upper 2. I talked to them about construction of a man-made waterfall with a huge, flat boulder on the bottom instead of a pool to prevent browns from getting upstream. However, it is in the middle of nowhere and getting even a small excavator in there is impossible. The splash boulder negates having a pool where trout can gain speed and shoot straight up which is how they leap.

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Fri May 11, 2018 3:05 pm

It is crazy how those little guys can jump. I have seen them navigating up the Buttermilk Falls in India Brook. I couldn't believe what I was seeing :shock:

martalus

Post by martalus » Fri May 11, 2018 4:55 pm

Over what time period and what distance of stream did they remove 1000 brown trout? That’s a lot of trout for a tiny stream! Those brown sure can travel-in the brook in my parents back yard they have made it about a series of seemingly impossible water falls and completely replaced the brook trout/colonized parts of the stream where brook trout were wiped out by some kind of oil spill from the 1970s. I wish brook trout could be put back in there as the conditions are perfect for them.

I have caught wild brookies in the black river in hacklebarnie near both of those streams. Both species can swim!

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri May 11, 2018 6:01 pm

martalus wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 4:55 pm
Over what time period and what distance of stream did they remove 1000 brown trout? That’s a lot of trout for a tiny stream! Those brown sure can travel-in the brook in my parents back yard they have made it about a series of seemingly impossible water falls and completely replaced the brook trout/colonized parts of the stream where brook trout were wiped out by some kind of oil spill from the 1970s. I wish brook trout could be put back in there as the conditions are perfect for them.

I have caught wild brookies in the black river in hacklebarnie near both of those streams. Both species can swim!
Not sure which stream you are referring to, but the Division is targeting native brook trout reintroductions into several streams in several watersheds where they were extirpated for any one of a variety of reasons. Most of that work begins next year with lots of prep going on currently.

martalus

Post by martalus » Sat May 12, 2018 4:42 am

that’s really interesting that they are going to reintroduce brook trout. I was referring to the CB- As the name indicates, it runs cold all summer thanks to all the springs around cold springs road-even on the hottest summer days, it’s freezing to put your foot in-it’s completely shaded in its upper stretch too. It’s 100 percent private property as far as I know, so I don’t know if they would choose it for reintroduction or not. There are small but deep pools where 15-18 inch brownies lurk and bigger by confluence with Lamington.

cappy

Post by cappy » Sat May 12, 2018 8:03 am

1000 brown trout from that short small brook as it drops thru HB seems a little far fetched. Curious at to the time period myself.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Sat May 12, 2018 9:26 am

I am not sure the exact time but it was recent (maybe last fall?). I spoke with the regional lead from F&G. He said the first electro-shock pass through Rheinhart yielded ~700, 2nd pass through ~200, and the last pass a few more. Includes all sizes down to fingerlings.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Sat May 12, 2018 2:54 pm

Razorbacker wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 9:26 am
I am not sure the exact time but it was recent (maybe last fall?). I spoke with the regional lead from F&G. He said the first electro-shock pass through Rheinhart yielded ~700, 2nd pass through ~200, and the last pass a few more. Includes all sizes down to fingerlings.
I'll ask Shawn on Monday and let you know. I do know from speaking with him often, that they electrofish it fairly often it sounds. Not just a few times. They were looking at recapture rates of fin-clipped browns above the upper most falls, and I believe they have not caught any which is a good sign. But the browns tend to own the lower reaches of that stream and only a man-made waterfall to act as a fish block can keep out Mr Brown.

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Sat May 12, 2018 10:26 pm

Yep, it was Shawn that told me that... I just don't remember the time frame he said when they did that last shock/transplant. He did mention to keep an eye out for any adipose-clipped fish caught in the Black.

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:48 am

Very interesting. Ive actually caught some decent sized browns in RB (for its size of course). Ive never caught anything but brookies in TB but right above the foot bridges is that falls Rusty mentioned.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:49 am

Razorbacker wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 3:05 pm
It is crazy how those little guys can jump. I have seen them navigating up the Buttermilk Falls in India Brook. I couldn't believe what I was seeing :shock:
Now thats impressive! Thats a good 15' with a decent flow of water. I guess the amount of water is key and that its not a straight drop. Not as many browns above the falls but Im not sure if I have ever caught a brookie below.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."