Fished the Musky in Hackettstown area

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Troutman

Fished the Musky in Hackettstown area

Post by Troutman » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:04 pm

Fished the musky today. water levels are low. But fishable. Gotta look for those deeper pockets for the fish. I even managed to get a native fish today :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

MaCe1

Re: Fished the Musky in Hackettstown area

Post by MaCe1 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:18 pm

Nice. I was on the Musky yesterday, could not find a fish.

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:16 pm

Troutman wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:04 pm
Fished the musky today. water levels are low. But fishable. Gotta look for those deeper pockets for the fish. I even managed to get a native fish today :lol:

Hey Troutman, if you got bopped in the head by an empty Mountain Dew can today while fishing near that bridge, it wasn't me :)
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:49 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:16 pm
Hey Troutman, if you got bopped in the head by an empty Mountain Dew can today while fishing near that bridge, it wasn't me :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:46 am

MaCe1 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:18 pm
Remember that sections like Point Mountain TCA were not stocked this year except from the upper Penwell bridge due to Covid. Same for all the transfer truck stocking locations on that river that we stock each Friday in spring and again in fall. It's making a big difference this year. Also, all waters - fresh, salt, warm, cold, flowing, standing - are being pounded by anglers unlike anything we have ever experienced and that is taking a major toll on the resources. Add drought this summer and high heat and it's the perfect storm for low trout numbers.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

cappy

Post by cappy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:05 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:46 am
MaCe1 wrote:
Remember that sections like Point Mountain TCA were not stocked this year except from the upper Penwell bridge due to Covid. Same for all the transfer truck stocking locations on that river that we stock each Friday in spring and again in fall. It's making a big difference this year. Also, all waters - fresh, salt, warm, cold, flowing, standing - are being pounded by anglers unlike anything we have ever experienced and that is taking a major toll on the resources. Add drought this summer and high heat and it's the perfect storm for low trout numbers.
Well that explains Saturday in the middle section of the PM TCA. Couldn't buy a trout and I hit it well with streamers, including my never looses pink wooly-bugger. I did manage a few in the Flatbrook.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:31 pm

I've been finding plenty of stocked rainbows. A size i6 gold sparkle pupa has been doing very well. Zebra midge also. Make the pupa swim after it reaches the bottom. Most takes were on the swing or slow even retrieve.

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:35 pm

lightenup wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:31 pm
I've been finding plenty of stocked rainbows. A size i6 gold sparkle pupa has been doing very well. Zebra midge also. Make the pupa swim after it reaches the bottom. Most takes were on the swing or slow even retrieve.

Ditto
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

MaCe1

Post by MaCe1 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:43 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:46 am
MaCe1 wrote:
Thanks. Not sure what the transfer truck stock locations are, but I will be trying again as long as air temps are 40 and above.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:03 am

MaCe1 wrote:
the fished are located in more of the bridge stocking points that have deeper pockets & flowing water. Not every entire stocking points was stocked this fall due to water levels. I had to travel to several spots slightly down river due to fisherman psi & removal of fish. This year was definitely hard on trout conservation due to the increase #'s of people on the water
Was known as Troutman1