Vest or waist-pack? (And what about the net?)

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Bob J

Vest or waist-pack? (And what about the net?)

Post by Bob J » Sat May 12, 2018 9:31 am

After a lifetime of using an overpacked and underused vest, I'm thinking of going to something to wear around my waist. I've already started trying to slim down to one (large) fly box, but I'm wondering where to hang my net. If I don't attach it to me I'll definitely lose it, and it seems attaching it the pack will make it hang too low. Thoughts?

Pete

Re: Vest or waist-pack? (And what about the net?)

Post by Pete » Sat May 12, 2018 9:52 am

Hang it over your shoulder like they did when those fancy vests were just for rich people.
or
If you insist on spending money http://www.smithcreek.co/net-holster.php

Reeltight

Post by Reeltight » Sat May 12, 2018 10:52 am

I use a waist pack from Walmart and I love it. It actually has a nice loop on it that I attach my net to and then the net goes over my shoulder. It works perfect.

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Sat May 12, 2018 11:17 am

I have a vest, waist pack, and tiny chest pack. Depends on where i am fishing and what waders i am wearing.

cappy

Post by cappy » Sat May 12, 2018 11:54 am

Secure the net to a belt and slip the net handle between the belt while fishing.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Sat May 12, 2018 12:12 pm

I use a waist pack with a shoulder strap. I use one of the magnet things and attached it to the to back of the pack on a little doo-dad they put to connect the shoulder strap.....it's great , the net handle sits at my left hand, so it is easy to grab and net a fish...not a great explanation, but it works well for me.

barkeater

Post by barkeater » Sat May 12, 2018 3:08 pm

I use a sling pack. I hook my net to it high up with a D-ring and larger retractor. It stays out of the way behind me and I just need to reach back to get it.

Bob J

Post by Bob J » Sat May 12, 2018 5:12 pm

Thanks for all the tips!

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Sat May 12, 2018 8:13 pm

I use my parents vest. I feel naked without it. Plus I have my wading staff attached to it. I my chest pack has a D ring for my net if I opt for that though.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Sun May 13, 2018 3:20 pm

I use a shortie vest that I have had for over 35 years, carry five fly boxes, tippet material, floatant, clipper, scissors and other necessities, attach my wading staff and net if I am using one, and have never felt burdened by it. I have a belt clip on retrievable net holder but never trusted it. I would feel lost without the vest.

Bob J

Post by Bob J » Sat May 19, 2018 6:09 pm

Spent some time up at Tightlines today and went with a sling pack. It seems to fit everything and the net hooks nicely at the top. Psyched to put some hours on it.

cappy

Post by cappy » Sat May 19, 2018 8:04 pm

Bob J wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 6:09 pm
Spent some time up at Tightlines today and went with a sling pack. It seems to fit everything and the net hooks nicely at the top. Psyched to put some hours on it.
Cool...Which pack did you get?
Anatole France

Bob J

Post by Bob J » Tue May 22, 2018 6:24 am

Went with the Simms Waypoints small pack. Everything seems to fit and there is a good spot to clip the net. I like that when it's empty it's very light...never a fan of gear that weighs too much before you start loading it up.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue May 22, 2018 9:29 am

I was a diehard vest guy for trout fishing until maybe 2 years ago. I went through 3 vests in my life, the cheap cotton one my dad bought me in the 70s, a Columbia, and finally a Patagonia (Pataguchi). I wore them all out and finally went with a William Joseph chest pack. Best decision of my fishing life. That company is out of business, but my next one will be a Fish Pond. I have a Simms chest pack for the salt. They hold as much as my vests, but are easier to get things out of with the magnetic opening feature.

Good luck with your new Simms pack.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

cappy

Post by cappy » Tue May 22, 2018 10:57 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:29 am
I was a diehard vest guy for trout fishing until maybe 2 years ago. I went through 3 vests in my life, the cheap cotton one my dad bought me in the 70s, a Columbia, and finally a Patagonia (Pataguchi). I wore them all out and finally went with a William Joseph chest pack. Best decision of my fishing life. That company is out of business, but my next one will be a Fish Pond. I have a Simms chest pack for the salt. They hold as much as my vests, but are easier to get things out of with the magnetic opening feature.

Actually still in business. http://www.williamjoseph.net/fishing-packs.php
Which Pack do you recommend?
Anatole France

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue May 22, 2018 1:56 pm

cappy wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:57 am
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:29 am

Actually still in business. http://www.williamjoseph.net/fishing-packs.php
Which Pack do you recommend?
Interesting, they definitely went out of business at one point and Shannon's then switched over to Fish Pond. I have the Confluence Chest Pack, but it is the largest they made. I carry 7 fly boxes, spare tippet, a 1st aid kit, etc. as a sometimes guide, so I needed the larger pack. I love the front two compartments being magnetic opening. I hang my net off the back loop off my left shoulder with a magnetic release on the net. I can even slip a sandwich or shorty rain coat in the back.

Or a flask :D

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue May 22, 2018 10:44 pm

I was fishing tonight with Jim Holland from Shannon's and mentioned that William Joseph was still in business. He said the shop was contacted by the company to let them know WJ was no longer in the fishing business.

Bubba Zinetti

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Wed May 30, 2018 9:34 am

If you have a relatively light net (you probably do), then clip it to the back of the collar of your shirt. That is what we do when we are fishing light.

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:07 am

I have a waist pack that I almost never use however when I did I find it hold way more than enough stuff. Over all my years of fishing I have realized that I used to carry way too much crap with me. For the most part you need some tippet, spare leader, a few good flys and a few tools. My waders now have a front pocket that I fit most stuff in.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

Bob J

Post by Bob J » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:31 am

Just fished with the sling for 3 days in ny. It functioned pretty well and the net clipped to the top of the pack. Sometimes while changing flies the line got caught up in the net or the pack, need to toy with positioning a little. One thing for sure, while I'm not an aggressive or deep wader, there were times I needed to get out farther, but held back a little since I didn't want to soak the pack (don't like waterproof version - too tough to access). Overall though so far so good.