Hello and Board

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Andy Brasko

Hello and Board

Post by Andy Brasko » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:50 pm

Hi everyone, hope all is doing good. I have not been around for ages.

Board:

I have tyed all the wet fly patterns in in Bergman's Book Trout. At this point I do not know what to do anymore. I have been tying for fishing. Last season I was going to be in the Fly Tying Symposium and dropped out due to not having enough to sale at the show to justify a table. So 2020 comes and wee see what happens. Same with the January Fly Fishing show in NJ. I lost self esteem to tye in public and have been trying to break the ice. Also wrote an Article of a fly that I had created to represent Alzheimer patients called the Purple star in the Catskills Fly Tyers Guild Gazette.. Then from there I just felt my tyes were not good enough and went back into seclusion to tye for me. I cursed with an ability to tye and am my own worse critic of my work. I find one flaw or something that irks me that others would probably not see. I am told they are perfect when I dam know better I screwed up. These screwed up patterns are my fishing flies. I have a lot of them

Forward:

Bought myself a new Godin Telecaster guitar last night. Can't wait for it to arrive. My music has kept me calm and soothes my soul. Was playing at a few places this year

1) Albert Music Hall in Waretown, NJ
2) Pine Barns Festival
3) Stay Gold In Howell, NJ
4) and a few coffee shops playing solo.

So now I have 4 acoustic guitars and soon one new Electric Telecaster from Godin. Just wanted to say hi. There are a lot of good people on this site and wanted to maybe start participating again.

Respectfully
Andy Brasko

coaltrout

Re: Hello and Board

Post by coaltrout » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:25 pm

Hi Andy, welcome, I play some guitar myself too but pretty much self taught and not much performing-skills under my belt. I found fishing and guitar to be two great hobbies :D
I know a bit about tying but the whole scene is pretty impressive and complex. All I do is tie black marabou on a hook and got into a few different ties. I'll never look at a fly and doubt it wont catch fish, especially with all the trout ive caught on literal scraps :mrgreen: I believe if you just do your own thing people will appreciate it. Im very unfamiliar to the fly-tying scene and the shows, but I bet the more unique they are, the better

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:37 pm

Welcome back! Guitar player here too... I have way too many guitars and amps, rods, guns... so says my wife. She doesn't understand that they are all "investments" :D

Andy Brasko

Post by Andy Brasko » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:53 pm

Well I think a jam is called for guys. Some Neil Young will have to be played.

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:57 pm

You played at Albert Hall? Wow, you are a celeb! I love that place. Welcome back.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,