KLG question

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
brettdv

KLG question

Post by brettdv » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:09 am

Looking for local options to give noob an intro to fly fishing. Haven't been to KLG in many many years but curious how its held up since the stocking ceased. Suspect the numbers of file per mile are down but is there enough to make it interesting this time of the year? Appreciating its going to be more challenging given water temps and lack of dumber than usual stockers but its scenic if not productive....

Otherwise I might take a drive to the Pequest by the hatchery which seems to fish well all winter quite a ways down from the overflow. Prefer to put him on fish but not concerned about stupid numbers.

Assuming eggs, scuds and small nymphs might do the trick.

coaltrout

Re: KLG question

Post by coaltrout » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:46 am

"Haven't been to KLG in many many years but curious how its held up since the stocking ceased"
They stopped stocking KLG? Im certain they only stopped stocking the new classified WTS stretch, down to Schooley's Mt Road.
See the freshwater digest for example

If they didnt stock KLG directly this year surely all the fish stocked upstream should be spread out by now.

brettdv

Post by brettdv » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:06 pm

even better. I vaguely remember some changes a while back - perhaps it was they stopped stocking brookies and browns over existing populations but that was before the problems at the request and now they only stock rainbow, dunno...

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:19 pm

The KLG is still getting stocked. It is all rainbows and some are big and feisty. Not as many fish as there used to be. I would fish midges and scuds. Eggs will work and woolly buggers always work. The fish are educated and wiley as they get pounded often.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:29 am

lightenup wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:19 pm
The KLG is still getting stocked. It is all rainbows and some are big and feisty. Not as many fish as there used to be. I would fish midges and scuds. Eggs will work and woolly buggers always work. The fish are educated and wiley as they get pounded often.
I'm not sure it was stocked this year due to Covid. I could be wrong. But the KLTU chapter usually leads the bucket brigade on that stretch and the Division killed that program for 2020 due to the pandemic. Same for Point Mountain.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

brettdv

Post by brettdv » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:25 am

Went saturday. Crowded. Fishing was slow - managed a few fish including a nice brown in the pocket water. Turned a massive rainbow in one of the slow deep pool on a sz 18 midge nymph but didn't get a hookset.

Colder than I though it would be so spent only 2 1/2 hours until our toes and fingers hurt. Saw a few others land some fish. Just enough action to get my noob son to ask to go back. So well worth the trip.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:48 pm

Fishing is better up from Hoffman X bridge up to the bend imo
Was known as Troutman1

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:44 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:29 am
lightenup wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:19 pm
I'm not sure it was stocked this year due to Covid. I could be wrong. But the KLTU chapter usually leads the bucket brigade on that stretch and the Division killed that program for 2020 due to the pandemic. Same for Point Mountain.
It was stocked when the water was low. There were a few fish. Then there were a lot of fish with screwy fins. You could see them plain as day and a dot wing sedge in various stages could easily catch them. Now they are spread out better.