Recommend some flies

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
dinomoso

Recommend some flies

Post by dinomoso » Mon May 14, 2018 10:32 am

I'm a beginner at fly fishing, took a casting lesson last week and i'm ready to hit the water. I will be fishing the Rockaway river in
Rockaway,Denville,and Wharton areas. Any suggestions on some flies I should throw, and in what size and color.

Jaybird

Re: Recommend some flies

Post by Jaybird » Mon May 14, 2018 11:01 am

Endless list of flies and what anybody recommends is right .
A basic list would be for this time of year .
Hare's ears , pheasant tails ,and scuds for nymphs
Adams , elk hair caddis , rusty spinners and sulpher dries
Woolly buggers in a few colors read thread below streamers .
The longer you flyfish you get interested in the entomology and the way bugs cycle through the river and the ways trout react to them along with your own confidence in patterns and style .

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Mon May 14, 2018 11:24 am

Jaybird wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 11:01 am
Endless list of flies and what anybody recommends is right .
A basic list would be for this time of year .
Hare's ears , pheasant tails ,and scuds for nymphs
Adams , elk hair caddis , rusty spinners and sulpher dries
Woolly buggers in a few colors read thread below streamers .
The longer you flyfish you get interested in the entomology and the way bugs cycle through the river and the ways trout react to them along with your own confidence in patterns and style .
Great list. You'll want those in sizes 12-16 (just fyi, the smaller the number, the larger the hook).

Good luck!

BT
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

dinomoso

Post by dinomoso » Mon May 14, 2018 11:25 am

Thanks Jaybird, just what I was looking for,I want to keep it simple right now, a few different flies to start out
is what I need. I'm thinking 12-18 on size and black,brown,and green for colors.

dinomoso

Post by dinomoso » Mon May 14, 2018 11:26 am

Thanks BT

dinomoso

Post by dinomoso » Mon May 14, 2018 11:33 am

Any suggestions on where to buy? I found a few places on a web search that seemed decent, figured 'd buy
4-5 different flies,probably a dozen each as I suspect I will lose some, you know those irate trees and stream
bottoms tend to eat them.

229oz

Post by 229oz » Mon May 14, 2018 12:20 pm

Call streams of dreams at 201-934-1138. They can get you a package of recommended flies together and ship them same day.

229oz

Post by 229oz » Mon May 14, 2018 12:23 pm

Shannons can do the same, but I happened to have the number for SOD.

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Mon May 14, 2018 12:29 pm

The list above will be perfect plus I'd add partridge and orange soft hackles sizes 14-18 and hares ears wet flies again sizes 14-18. Both work well on the aforementioned Rockaway.

Try Tightlines flyshop in Parsippany, its right on Rt 46 westbound, going east you'll pass it then make the U turn at New Road and its back up on the right.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Mon May 14, 2018 2:51 pm

Now the interesting thing about Fly-fishing ask me in July and that list will change ,
Scuds fish all year long but your mayfly nymphs are much smaller , and I'd probably add a Midge pups , like a brassie .
Dryflies are more tricos and Isos. ....
And in October it would change again to maybe an egg and olives .
The seasons change , the menu changes

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon May 14, 2018 5:23 pm

Right now the game on NJ waters is sulphurs (nymphs, wets, emergers, dries, and spinner dries) and various caddis pupa. As others mentioned, scuds are in our rivers 24/7/365 and are always important. And never leave home without a few black ant dries. Sometimes when nothing else works.....
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Jerzguy21

Post by Jerzguy21 » Mon May 14, 2018 5:46 pm

If you send an IM, I'll give you a name of a tyer that I've used over the years. I would just go to Shannons and buy a few and ask their advise. When you are ready, you can use my tyer and order by the doz. at $10 , when you know what works for you. Jack

cappy

Post by cappy » Tue May 15, 2018 5:07 am

Below is a list of standards for the north east.

Sinking flies:

Wooly Bugger – Size 8 in dark olive and black. Fish anytime / anywhere – drift and/or strip.

Hares Ear Nymph – size 10 – 16 w/ and w/o beads. Natural, but a few in olive or black would round it out. Fish anytime / anywhere – dead drift

Pheasant Tail Nymph – Size 12 – 16 w/ and w/o beads. Fish anytime / anywhere – dead drift

Green Weenie – Size 12. Fish anytime / anywhere – dead drift

The dreaded "mop fly" in various colors. Fish anytime / anywhere – dead drift or strip. I use it if nothing else is working or prospecting new water to see whats there. It will catch anything that is in the water from pan-fish to bass and of course trout.

Squirmy Worm – Size 12 various colors but red and tan should be in your box. Fish anytime / anywhere – dead drift

Soft Hackle – Size 12 – 16. Pheasant tail, Partridge and Orange, Partridge and yellow, peacock to name a few popular ones. Dead drift, swing, hang or strip. All will catch fish.

Small to micro egg pattern flies, by small no larger then size 16.

Floating flies:

Blue Wing Olive – Size 14 – 18 (early and late season mayfly hatches)

Adams – Size 10 – 18 (for dark mayflies)

Sulphur – Size 10 – 18 (mid-season light-colored mayfly hatches)

Beetle and/or Ant – Size 14 – 18 (Spring - late summer)

Griffiths Gnat - Size 18 - 22 ( For midges - very small insects - all year round)

Elk Hair Caddis – Size 12 – 18 in Tan, Black and Green for caddis hatches and/or stonefly hatches all season.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Bob J

Post by Bob J » Tue May 15, 2018 7:28 am

If you feel like fishing on top, tie on the #14 elk hair caddis or the #14 parachute adams and cast upstream to likely runs and pools. If the water is fast and or riffly go with the caddis since it floats really well. In the soft flat pools go with the adams. Most important part is to let the fly float naturally by continually flipping the belly of the line upstream (mending). Something good will happen!

dinomoso

Post by dinomoso » Tue May 15, 2018 8:14 am

Wow some great replies,they will be very helpful. Thanks guys.

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:38 am

I was going to jump in but looks like everyone has this covered! The one I will add is the zug bug! I always liked fishing a #12 bead head Hares Ear with a #14/16 Zug Bug behind it (with or without the bead). Good nymphing combo, especially for those stockies!
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."