A Bright December Day on The Musconetcong

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

A Bright December Day on The Musconetcong

Post by BiggerThomas » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:23 pm

Earlier in the week, I began hearing about an unsettled weather pattern predicted for our region but I was really itching to sling some line. I checked the forecast and saw today looked bright, mild, and not too windy--perfect to get out on a winter stream before the storm.

I began wading in the Musconetcong and took in the wonder--sparkling, decent seasonal flows, lots of fresh snow, and a thick forest. I rigged up my Elkhorn Rod that I bought a few years ago (still holding up nicely) with a silver scud and a small split-shot. I began singing, as loudly as possible, "Silver Scuds....Silver Scuds....It's Christmas Time on the Musky...." What followed was a productive day of healthy rainbows, all caught on the scud and no doubt helped by my spin-off of Silver Bells :lol: . I tried a few casts with a small (#18-#20) bwo as I saw a few fluttering around, but no luck.
Attachments
image000000 (26).jpg
image000000 (26).jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 4594 times
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Troutman

Re: A Bright December Day on The Musconetcong

Post by Troutman » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:39 pm

nice fish on the "rod"................ ;)
Was known as Troutman1

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:48 pm

Troutman wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:39 pm
nice fish on the "rod"................ ;)
Yes, a proper and respectful use of the term....Nice fish...Where you at point mountain or some other nice place.

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:02 pm

Thanks, TM. L-UP, I fished all up and down PM--saw only two other anglers.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:47 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:02 pm
Thanks, TM. L-UP, I fished all up and down PM--saw only two other anglers.
PM is nice this time of year. very light psi on the fish since everyone else is freezing their butts off in the tree stands killing Bambi :o :lol: :lol: .
Was known as Troutman1