Online fly store

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Reeltight

Online fly store

Post by Reeltight » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:46 pm

Can anyone recommend a place online to order flies? And any suggestions on what ones to use this time of year?

Vance

Re: Online fly store

Post by Vance » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:09 am

Hi, Ramsey Outdoor Store in Ramsey,NJ. Maybe Shannon’s in Highbridge. The flies to use would be midges, midges and midges. BWO in sizes 18 thru 22 and pheasant tail in the same sizes. Probably some scuds in a size16. That’s all I can think of right now, Bill the mailman

cappy

Post by cappy » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:46 am

https://www.bigyflyco.com/

As previously mentioned, midges work this time of year. Also any small brownish nymph, 90% of what a trout eats year round is roughly 3/8" long and brownish.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

njcatchrelease

Post by njcatchrelease » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:03 am

There are two that I order from.
Ascent fly Fishing
https://ascentflyfishing.com/

Big Y Fly Co.
https://www.bigyflyco.com/

Both offer good quality flies at reasonable prices.
Tight Lines

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:20 am

Support your local flyshop!!

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:22 am

Reeltight wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:46 pm
Can anyone recommend a place online to order flies? And any suggestions on what ones to use this time of year?
If you can't make it to your local flyshop order from Blue Ribbon Flies. Materials are top notch. So are the flies.

Vance

Post by Vance » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:39 pm

Hi, Depending on where you live. I would go to Shannon’s in Califon,NJ. They have a web site so you can get directions to there place. Heck they would even tell where to fish and what to use. They are very helpful and close to the gorge. Fish from Hoffman’s Crossing up stream. Bill the mailman

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:15 am

Vance wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:39 pm
Hi, Depending on where you live. I would go to Shannon’s in Califon,NJ. They have a web site so you can get directions to there place. Heck they would even tell where to fish and what to use. They are very helpful and close to the gorge. Fish from Hoffman’s Crossing up stream. Bill the mailman
Shannon's also does a brisk online business. What lightenup said, SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FLY SHOP! Covid hurt fly shops badly early on. Support them and buy local, even if you order online and have it shipped to your house.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:37 am

Shannon's online business is on hold. Too much jam up in the supply chain. The shop is open and I'm sure curb side pick up would be made available for specific orders. Remember, 530 trout and 300 trout are in the SBR in Califon and Pt. Mountain! Happy new year!

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:58 am

Depends what you want. I don't really have a local place. I do try and buy stuff from tighlines when I am in the area. Blue ribbon is awesome for hackle and skins and things. Tactical fly fishing and tco has good supply of euronymphing. Hook and hackle had the best discount fly lines in the business. They routinely go on sale for 25 bucks and are as good as cortland 444. If you are looking for flys, etsy actually has good selections and I would assume most of those are tied by the guy who is selling, not in kenya. Places like tco have alot of content, I try and support people like that