Gearing Up for Fishing

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
MickyFinn

Gearing Up for Fishing

Post by MickyFinn » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:55 pm

Am I making things hard on myself? I seem to be the only fisherman that I see assembling his fly rod and stringing it where he parks by the river. Especially in winter conditions, it seems that anything you can do to speed-up getting into the water and at-it fishing is a good thing.

Yeah, I've seen the guys with roof-top carriers to transport their fully-assembled rods. But do you bring an unassembled rod to the river and set-up there--or something else? :?:

Johnw

Re: Gearing Up for Fishing

Post by Johnw » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:16 pm

I have 3 fly rods and neither of them have been taken apart for at least 10 years. Some may frown on this but it works for me and I haven’t had any problems.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:34 pm

MickyFinn wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:55 pm
Am I making things hard on myself? I seem to be the only fisherman that I see assembling his fly rod and stringing it where he parks by the river. Especially in winter conditions, it seems that anything you can do to speed-up getting into the water and at-it fishing is a good thing.

Yeah, I've seen the guys with roof-top carriers to transport their fully-assembled rods. But do you bring an unassembled rod to the river and set-up there--or something else? :?:
Cherish the time spent lining up..get your thoughts calm and cherish the zen whilst you arm your quiver. it's the minutiae that keeps me coming back and suiting up is part of that. It brings me into the mindset needed when fishing for finicky fish on flies. Doesn't always work but it sounds good!!!

njcatchrelease

Post by njcatchrelease » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:35 pm

MickyFinn wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:55 pm

I do the same, assemble my rod at the jeep, and always tie on some sort of fly there just because it acts like insurance to make sure I don't loose a rod section on the hike to the river. Once at the river I may change flies depending upon conditions.
Tight Lines

cappy

Post by cappy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:54 pm

I assemble a fly rod where I park, doesn't take long and I enjoy it. Tenkara rod is rigged when I leave home.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:49 pm

cant you just break it down half way if it's too long for the car?
Normally at home I like to sort out tackle and gear, then dump it in car. sometimes will even drive with my waders on. My vest will already have all Im gonna need for the day. Pull out a snack from the trunk (nature valley bars or pop tarts etc) and walk in. :geek:

barkeater

Post by barkeater » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:49 pm

I use the time it takes to rig up at my truck in winter to see if I'm dressed warm enough or need to add another layer.

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:27 pm

I combine the approaches mentioned so far: I take my rod pieces & reel, unassembled, from the car and hike to the bank I'll enter the stream from. It's there that I set up my rod. It is very peaceful--no cars, no fumes, no people coming up to me telling me how they did or how they plan to fish that day. I also use the stream-side view to determine what fly I'll string up first.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,