First time fly fishing

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
MikeB

First time fly fishing

Post by MikeB » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:35 pm

Hoping you guys can help, headed out to C&R to practice casting and hoping I have some luck. All geared up w new rod & got flies at Shannon’s. Picture is my box of nymphs, any help which to start with? Fishing KLG or the Muskie in high bridge.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

MikeB

Re: First time fly fishing

Post by MikeB » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:36 pm

Hopefully the fly box picture hits
Attachments
7E5BA346-99CE-47F3-AC06-CAB03206B810.jpeg
7E5BA346-99CE-47F3-AC06-CAB03206B810.jpeg (3.12 MiB) Viewed 5174 times

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:21 pm

Male sure you check the regulations and fish open water. TCA's are good, like the KLG. I believe every fly you have will catch fish right now. Stoneflies have become active amd midges are always around. The water has been warming so the fish should be active...but you never know. Have fun and don't worry about your cast...as long as the fly goes where you want. Worry about bugs and their lifecycle and spooking fish. They eat easier when they are comfortable. Most of all.have fun and be prepared to tie lots of knots and keep yer tippet fresh!

martalus

Post by martalus » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:55 am

Looks great for sub surface activity (where trout do vast majority of their feeding). In the beginning, dont try to make super long casts, especially with heavier buggers and nymphs-find a good looking spot and fish the near water thoroughly to a get a feeling for it-with those weighted flies, especially if you are adding some split shot if water is high/cold, you dont need much of a cast at all as you want maintain close contact with your flies/line to feel strikes. Plus, elaborate casting will just get you tangled and frustrated. Good luck!

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:51 pm

lightenup wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:21 pm
I believe every fly you have will catch fish right now.....Worry about bugs and their lifecycle and spooking fish. They eat easier when they are comfortable. Most of all.have fun and be prepared to tie lots of knots and keep yer tippet fresh!
Ditto on what lightenup says here. also, don't forget a flask of bourbon. I use mine to dip flies in before casting; once hooked, the trout come in a little easier and always ask if I come to this stream often...it makes for a fun day...
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:10 am

3 flies in trees, lost 1 fish, broke the rod tip by being an ass.... overall a success. Thanks for the tips!!

Now I need a drop shot rig set up, met a great guy who helped explain his use of it. New rod tip is on the way from Echo already! No quit in this guy.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:01 am

BiggerThomas wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:51 pm
lightenup wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:21 pm
I believe every fly you have will catch fish right now.....Worry about bugs and their lifecycle and spooking fish. They eat easier when they are comfortable. Most of all.have fun and be prepared to tie lots of knots and keep yer tippet fresh!
Ditto on what lightenup says here. also, don't forget a flask of bourbon. I use mine to dip flies in before casting; once hooked, the trout come in a little easier and always ask if I come to this stream often...it makes for a fun day...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

martalus

Post by martalus » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:14 pm

MikeB wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:10 am
3 flies in trees, lost 1 fish, broke the rod tip by being an ass.... overall a success. Thanks for the tips!!

Now I need a drop shot rig set up, met a great guy who helped explain his use of it. New rod tip is on the way from Echo already! No quit in this guy.
Keep at it! There will certainly be some bumps in the road you will definitely catch fish. On the plus side, in early spring the stocker trout are newbies too so a bit more forgiving than wary wild trout in low clear water. Once you get that feeling of hooking one, you are off to the races! I also remember braking my rod the first season after getting snagged in a tree and pulling too hard at the wrong angle...