Questions about Wild Brookie Streams (Dunnfield, Trout Brook, etc.)

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Pj0915

Questions about Wild Brookie Streams (Dunnfield, Trout Brook, etc.)

Post by Pj0915 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:54 pm

Hello,

Over the last year or so I have found brook trout extremely fascinating, I've had few chances to fish for them last summer but never had any luck.
Me and a friend are planning to spend a weekend in the NW part of the state in the upcoming weeks to target brookies, and I was wondering if anyone here could answer my questions about places to find them.

I know the state lists a small handful of wild trout streams online, and of the few that are fishable (mostly on public land like Dunnfield creek, or Trout Brook in Hockhockson) I have seen some talk of their populations decreasing, or them being pretty unfishable due to angling pressure. That being said, would it be worth my time to check them out? Or should I look elsewhere?

Second, since most of these streams have pretty impassible waterfalls, is there some way to know which side will hold more fish? For example, when I checked out Trout Brook the other day, there is the large waterfall down stream. Is there any reason there would be more fish above or below the waterfall?

Lastly, would it be better to fish these smaller brooks after rainfall, or before? I've always heard mixed opinions.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

martalus

Re: Questions about Wild Brookie Streams (Dunnfield, Trout Brook, etc.)

Post by martalus » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:46 am

Hi-Not to discourage you, but you will probably not get much advice on that topic on a public forum. Also, wild brook trout are generally small and in small streams and you are likely to loose a lot of flies in rocks/trees etc, especially as a beginner. And yes, wild brook trout populations can be very fragile and most susceptible to development, pollution, and warmer temperatures. Should you still desire to look for them and want to the research in, there are public resources available to find what streams hold them and where there is public water.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:16 am

NJ has more than 2,000 streams that hold native brook trout, so finding them is not an issue. As martalus mentioned, the brookies tend to be small and live in smaller streams for the most part. Walking along one of these streams standing roughly 6 foot tall, you are going to pretty much spook every trout in the stream way before you stop to fish it. You will want to be very stealthy, fish right after a rainfall, and focus on anywhere you can find a deeper pool or slot to find success.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:19 pm

>them being pretty unfishable due to angling pressure. That being said, would it be worth my time to check them out? Or should I look elsewhere?
you can still catch them in the "popular" / well known brookie streams. Going in the middle of a cold day in winter was a better chance at hitting it without much angling pressure. And Angling pressure to me would be if someone literally just fished it an hour ago, i dont think it's like bass fishing where the fish learn not to hit lures or something,i think the majority of fish in these streams are hungry and will eat anything that looks like a bug. They spook so easily to begin with.

>Second, since most of these streams have pretty impassible waterfalls, is there some way to know which side will hold more fish? For example, when I checked out Trout Brook the other day, there is the large waterfall down stream. Is there any reason there would be more fish above or below the waterfall?

Typically fish stack up below plunge pools, and there's (somehow) native fish above some seemingly impassable waterfalls. Sometimes it's vacant above but most streams still have brookies above them. Idk how they get up there, maybe has to do with how the population of brookies existed in the stream for thousands of years?

>Lastly, would it be better to fish these smaller brooks after rainfall, or before? I've always heard mixed opinions.

whenever is best for your schedule imo.

You can always try with brown trout first, some creeks that look like good brookie water are overrun with browns and you can just get the same experience there. If you're on google maps just look for big terrain drops/shifts, look for mile long+ tributaries to creeks that you know hold trout.

You can also dm me if you're looking for more specific advice. Good luck! it's fun and relaxing fishing

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:37 pm

I have crawled on my belly up to a stream so I wouldnt spoke them. The wts are out there. You just have to do your research.
Was known as Troutman1

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:07 pm

Speaking of dunfield, it is my favorite nj wts. Get away from the people and the higher you go the better the fishing. Most people don't want to scout and especially hike.

martalus

Post by martalus » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:35 am

In the olden times a wise fisherman once said, ‘walk further from the truck, catch more fish’.

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:50 am

Pj0915 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:54 pm
Hello,

would it be worth my time to check them out?
Thanks to everyone for their help.
This. Do it. Always. You might be surprised and you'll enjoy the exploration.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

kennyp2339

Post by kennyp2339 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:51 pm

I like searching on google maps then cross checking the area using this link http://www.protectedlands.net/map/ to see whether theres public access or not, I dont want trouble entering someone else's property.