Hendrickson's?

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
joe_panella

Hendrickson's?

Post by joe_panella » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:11 pm

Anyone see em and maybe some risers to go with them.

Fishybig

Re: Hendrickson's?

Post by Fishybig » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:27 pm

Saw a few this evening...very lower sb...stockie water if that helps...prob another week fer the upper stretches

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:01 am

My friend fished the Musky yesterday and didn't see any..he did get a few on caddis emergers.

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:52 am

The hendrickson hatch was on Sunday on the Broadhead. . If it's happening there it should definitely be happening in Jersey .

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:18 pm

Jaybird wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:52 am
The hendrickson hatch was on Sunday on the Broadhead. . If it's happening there it should definitely be happening in Jersey .
I'll be out tomorrow around Califon if the rain isn't too bad...I'll post what I see. My buddy is kind of a bug moron. They could be all over him and he might say...WTF are these funny looking gnats? Priobably happening today while I'm at work!!!!

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:57 pm

lightenup wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:18 pm
Jaybird wrote:
My buddy is kind of a bug moron. They could be all over him and he might say...WTF are these funny looking gnats?
Nice, man. How do you treat your enemies? :lol:
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:58 pm

Jaybird wrote:
I think there is more than 1 :D

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:08 pm

Jaybird wrote:
I found a few Hendrickson's hatching today in Califon. Not a heavy hatch, but enough for a pod of fish to rise to. I caught some on a PT soft hackle dusted up and fished dry. Lots of fun. Tried to get some guy I was next to to try a dry fly... He had never caught one on a dry before. He wouldn't do it... Nice fellow though.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:14 pm

Due to knee surgery recently, I haven't been trout fishing yet. But the shop (Shannon's) tells me the Hendricksons so far have been spotty. Good today, gone tomorrow, then back later in the week. But seems the caddis are busting wide open and some March browns are in the mix as well. I fished the Delaware yesterday for shad, and the river was blanketed with LBS, caddis and March brown duns. Weird not to see rising trout when I'm on a river watching all those bugs float past, but shad are filter feeders and ignore aquatic insects.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

cappy

Post by cappy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:25 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:14 pm
I fished the Delaware yesterday for shad
Sounds like the surgery went well! How did you do with the Shad? Wade or boat?
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:32 am

cappy wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:25 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:14 pm
I fished the Delaware yesterday for shad
Sounds like the surgery went well! How did you do with the Shad? Wade or boat?
Surgery went well, she got all the floaters out and shaved the torn meniscus. The pain is getting better each day and I can walk normally on it without a cane or crutches. Thanks.

I shad fished from a buddy's boat the other day and went 11 for 17 if I recall correctly. I haven't yet waded although that should happen sometime this week. My fishing and hunting will suffer this year as we are exceptionally busy with field work which starts in vain next week down in Virginia before moving up to NJ and CT and later NY. That's on top of 7 ponds we need to build in Montana....so fishing will take a back seat this year.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:42 pm

Hendrickson's are on the Delaware in NY .... If they are there , than they are just about done here

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:24 pm

Jaybird wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:42 pm
Hendrickson's are on the Delaware in NY .... If they are there , than they are just about done here
Wait what? I thought you said the hatch was over last week :D :lol: :P :P :P

Vance

Post by Vance » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:50 pm

Hi, Fished the South Branch today down stream from the Grayrock bridge. Nothing hatching. No Hendrickson’s only afew sm.black caddis flies flying around. Only saw one rise and he or she only rose once. Fished from 12:30 to 4:30 PM. Caught 4 missed two the ones I caught were nice 11 to 12 inches. They put up a good fight. Released all of the trout. All rainbows. First time this year. Bill the mailman

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:09 am

Bill - did you happen go give 2 flies to a guy yesterday there?

Vance

Post by Vance » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:02 pm

Hi, Yes I did give two flies yesterday and he walked down stream. Are you the guy I gave them too? Did you use them and did they catch any thing? The large one was my own creation and I made it just messing around with the vise. Bill Vance. AKA Bill the mailman

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:22 pm

Vance wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:02 pm
Hi, Yes I did give two flies yesterday and he walked down stream. Are you the guy I gave them too? Did you use them and did they catch any thing? The large one was my own creation and I made it just messing around with the vise. Bill Vance. AKA Bill the mailman
I always asks guys if they belong to this site--you never know. Twism should pay me to advertise.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:18 am

Vance wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:02 pm
That was me and thank you!! I tried them and they looked beautiful, landed a nice rainbow with them so thank you! Wish I knew it was you and I could have asked more questions. Next time for sure! Did you get one by the hanging branch you mentioned?

Vance

Post by Vance » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:47 pm

Hello Mike, As for fishing at the Branch that over hangs the SB. No, I just started to fish and two guys with spinning rods came down to the stream. I started to talk to one of them and told them I was going down stream to the bend and where to fish by the bridge. I do not know if they caught any thing but when I returned to the car at 4:30 or so they were gone. I am happy that you caught some trout using the flies I gave you. If I happen to see you again I’ll give you some more flies. Heck, I give most of the flies I tie away. If someone isn’t catching any thing and I am, I’ll walk down and give them afew flies to try. Tying flies is just a hobby and I enjoy tying. Bill Vance