It was WORK & was worth it

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
MikeB

It was WORK & was worth it

Post by MikeB » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:15 pm

Hit a spot Troutman told me to try that was successful in 2020 and did not let me down today! Finally got my new fly rod tip about 2 weeks after I broke it and headed out today. Took about an hour to get casting down, listened to all of your tips and here are the results! Caught 7, lost about 4 more and I am 100% hooked on the fly!

Used the wrong fly to start and went w a guy instinct when a bug landed on my hand....matched what I saw.

One thing: saw a guy about 25 yards away and went to ask for some help and he was a grumpy bastard. A little kindness and help goes a long way AND promotes fly fishing. I’m a 52 year old grown man not a kid.....
Attachments
7C74E217-A9D2-40C6-AF7A-DF761906742A.jpeg
7C74E217-A9D2-40C6-AF7A-DF761906742A.jpeg (3.87 MiB) Viewed 11670 times
1065A10C-77E8-4024-8C12-14BBACBE1708.jpeg
1065A10C-77E8-4024-8C12-14BBACBE1708.jpeg (3.88 MiB) Viewed 11670 times

MikeB

Re: It was WORK & was worth it

Post by MikeB » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:16 pm

And can anyone tell me what kind of nymph that is bc I need to get more at Shannon’s. :D :D

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:37 pm

Looks like a beat up prince nymph or a zug bug... pic not in a fish mite help...wtg...hope ur hooked fer life!! Fly fishing is a wormhole we all end up loving!!

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:01 pm

looks like a prince nymph as mentioned above. Glad you made out . dont let some of these grumps get you down. There miserable for a reason ;)
Was known as Troutman1

cappy

Post by cappy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:51 am

MikeB wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:16 pm
And can anyone tell me what kind of nymph that is bc I need to get more at Shannon’s. :D :D
Take a pic, or better yet bring it with you to Shannons ;)
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:11 pm

You weren't fishing the bend right below the Califon dam were you? I met some guy there yesterday and I though I was very cordial...offered him a fly and my spot as he never caught a fish on a dry before, and I was catching quite a few...boy I hope it wasn't me because if people call that grumpy these days..... :D

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:34 pm

No was downstream past Gronsky's and the bridge there. It was OK because it forced me to think and watch what was around me.

When I fished the local BASS circuit we always shared what was working, even when money was on the line. More fun to see people catch fish and enjoy.

martalus

Post by martalus » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:56 pm

Damn, that almost got awkward real quick. Flyfishing and perhaps trout fishing in general has an interesting ethos around it-on one hand you want to help out a new comer but on the other hand there is a desire to let a newcomer have the adventure of learning on his/her own. Also, some people are just down right territorial about spots and fish in those spots. I am glad you are having some success and making great progress!

Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:50 pm

About the "grump" ...

He may have mistaken you for a spot jumper.
Courtesy among trout fly fishers normally calls for giving each other plenty of room.
See: http://www.uky.edu/~agrdanny/flyfish/rules.htm

On a crowded stream this can be relaxed, sometimes to the point of agreeing to share a large pool.
But having scores of bait fishers trying to fish the same run you've been fishing, spooking the fish, and crossing your line, can make one grumpy. Especially if they don't even leave you room for a back cast.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:31 pm

Pete wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:50 pm
About the "grump" ...

He may have mistaken you for a spot jumper.
Courtesy among trout fly fishers normally calls for giving each other plenty of room.
See: http://www.uky.edu/~agrdanny/flyfish/rules.htm

On a crowded stream this can be relaxed, sometimes to the point of agreeing to share a large pool.
But having scores of bait fishers trying to fish the same run you've been fishing, spooking the fish, and crossing your line, can make one grumpy. Especially if they don't even leave you room for a back cast.
Always room for a back cast if there are spot jumping, line crossing A holes behind you...even if there isn't...;)

Just make sure you have a means of escape as those types tend to travel in packs...

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:38 pm

MikeB wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:34 pm
When I fished the local BASS circuit we always shared what was working, even when money was on the line. More fun to see people catch fish and enjoy.
Welcome to trout fly fishing snobs 101 my friend :o . Most fly fisherman are that breed. You should see the look on some of the guys face sometimes when I switch up from fly rod to spin rod. Like I they swallow a softball :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:59 pm

Troutman wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:38 pm
MikeB wrote:
Welcome to trout fly fishing snobs 101 my friend :o . Most fly fisherman are that breed. You should see the look on some of the guys face sometimes when I switch up from fly rod to spin rod. Like I they swallow a softball :lol:
Funny thing,
most of the snobby ones can't catch a fish and don't know what a bug is, but they have Orvis and SIMMS all up and down...that's why they are snobby...they don't want to be exposed...

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:24 pm

lightenup wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:59 pm
Troutman wrote:
MikeB wrote:
Funny thing,
most of the snobby ones can't catch a fish and don't know what a bug is, but they have Orvis and SIMMS all up and down...that's why they are snobby...they don't want to be exposed...
Thats for sure. go down to KLG on the weekends. You see the entire new catalog line up being worn out there. you see guys swinging there $800.00 rod & not catch anything all day :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:26 pm

Well my cheap waders and Ecco fly rod and reel doesn’t fit that weekend fishermen then! Appreciate the help and totally get the territorial people. There is enough fish for all of us, helping out goes a long way w karma.

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:40 am

lightenup wrote:
Troutman wrote:
MikeB wrote:
Funny thing,
Tell me about it. They also love to "fish" with their fancy-pants cotton gloves, corduroy vests, wicker creels, and tobacco pipes! I hear some of them are even literate.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:47 am

BiggerThomas wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:40 am
lightenup wrote:
Troutman wrote:

Funny thing,
Tell me about it. They also love to "fish" with their fancy-pants cotton gloves, corduroy vests, wicker creels, and tobacco pipes! I hear some of them are even literate.
Lol!!!

46er

Post by 46er » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:49 am

I will always have a fond memory of one day on the Lamar River in YNP, just above Lamar Canyon in early Sept. I was wet wading, air temps in the high 70's, and upstream about a mile from fishermens pullout, doing well with hoppers. I hear a 'what are they taking', look up and there is a guy standing on the bank in chest high neoprene, overstuffed vest, wading stick and oversized net wearing a huge brimmed hat with a gorgeous rod and reel. I thought Orvis was there shooting a commercial. He was severely overdressed but no bear spray. Chatted a while gave him some hoppers, he had not a one in the various fly boxes, and some advice, nice enough guy, and moved myself further upstream.
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:46 am

Oooof walking across that valley in baloney skin waders . I'm sure the bears smelled his arrival.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:08 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:
lightenup wrote:
Troutman wrote:

Funny thing,
well truth be told I do wear Simms fishing gloves in the summer to keep me from burnt skin, I do wear a corduroy vest to keep me warm in the spring, Dont do the wicker basket thing as I dont keep fish :lol: .
Was known as Troutman1

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:08 pm

Troutman wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:08 pm
BiggerThomas wrote:
lightenup wrote:

Funny thing,
well truth be told I do wear Simms fishing gloves in the summer to keep me from burnt skin, I do wear a corduroy vest to keep me warm in the spring, Dont do the wicker basket thing as I dont keep fish :lol: .
Don't get me wrong, I have SIMMS waders. A fishpond pack and a basket net. But I started with an eagle claw 5 wt. Spin fly switcheroo and some rubber hip boots. I have slowly aquired the finer things..Rods and reels were mostly gifted minus a few so they don't count towards snobbery😉😛