I'm officially a chest guy

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

I'm officially a chest guy

Post by BiggerThomas » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:59 pm

:lol: I bought a chest pack to hold my fishing gear. So far, everything looks like it'll work just fine but I haven't actually field-tested it yet.

To those who've fished with them: do you like them? Prefer them over vests?
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Pete

Re: I'm officially a chest guy

Post by Pete » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:15 am

Field test it ...
Some people love them, but I found it very annoying.
It kept getting in the way of my rod/reel handling.
IMHO:
If your skinny, it's like being fat.
If you're fat, it's like being even fatter.
I now use it to store extra flies in the truck.

46er

Post by 46er » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:06 am

Yes and yes. I like to travel light.
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.

cappy

Post by cappy » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:21 am

I tried chest and sling packs, found both annoying. Gave up vests years ago to hot in the warmer months.
I use a small waterproof hip pack.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:14 pm

I just keep everything I need in my wader pockets for the outing ;)
Was known as Troutman1

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:21 am

Have both, prefer the vest.....less movement and easier to get what I need.

Bubba Zinetti

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:43 am

As an official fat guy, I did not like the chest pack. I got a small one and found it annoying. I dislike vests, but I see their usefulness, they were never comfortable for me, and I tended to load them up with everything. Additionally vests don't have a good spot to keep a water bottle. I switched to a sling pack after the vest and I sometimes like it. It has a dedicated bottle slot and can hold quite a bit including a sandwich. The net is awkward, and I still haven't figured out to make that work . Recently I have started to use a backpack in some situations. Especially if hike to the water is involved. It is very comfortable, there is plenty of freedom of movement and it can hold a substantial amount of stuff, especially things like food, coffee and jackets. The obvious downside to a pack is quick access to flies, tippets and other fishing stuff. I have been using an Osprey Talon 35 for a few years, and it is excellent for long days on the water. For shorter, close to home sessions I will stick to my sling pack.
YMMV

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:47 am

Thanks for the thoughts on chest packs.

I bought this one, deemed a "mirco chest pack": https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MK ... UTF8&psc=1

During my outing yesterday, it performed well and didn't interfere with casting. It also allowed me quick access to my gear, so I'm keeping it!

I caught a few wild browns all on dry flies--6" or less, no pix--but I did take a few stream shots. This lower-half of this stream is stocked but the upper half near its headwaters is wild and, imo, quite beautiful. On a sad note, however, I noted some of the ash trees along the stream have been attacked by Emerald Ash Boer. I also found the STRANGEST flotsam and jetsam I've ever seen--a set of bagels trapped in front of an eddy :lol:
Attachments
image000000(5).jpg
image000000(5).jpg (235.58 KiB) Viewed 8291 times
image000001(3).jpg
image000001(3).jpg (308.73 KiB) Viewed 8291 times
image000003(2).jpg
image000003(2).jpg (330.82 KiB) Viewed 8291 times
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

cappy

Post by cappy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:11 am

LOL with the bagels. Looks like someone dropped breakfast. What is upstream, looks like access is tight?
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:03 pm

The single best thing to happen to me in the last 49 I've been fly fishing was to lose my vest and go chest pack. It's - for me at least - a quantum leap forward over the vest and I will never even remotely consider going back. I can think of no downsides and only upsides to making the switch. Your mileage may vary....
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

BiggerThomas

Post by BiggerThomas » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:56 pm

cappy wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:11 am
LOL with the bagels. Looks like someone dropped breakfast. What is upstream, looks like access is tight?
Very difficult casting...think: on your belly, sling-shot casts. But if you can land a fly in a nice little pool, you'll be rewarded. I brought my 7'9" if that helps.

46er

Post by 46er » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:22 am

If it weren't for the rocks, I would think that's the Toms.
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.

MickyFinn

Post by MickyFinn » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:24 am

Hey, B-Thomas--thanks for the tip about the Allen Bear Creek Micro Chest pack. Ordered one and it has remedied all sorts of dificulties for me--especially my net problem. Don't know how many times I've cursed at that landing net for coming around from the side of me, clashing with my wading stick, getting in the way--and catching sun from behind to light-up while I'm attempting stealth. Now, I've snapped a retractor on the chest pack's rear D-ring--and that damned net will behave!! Looking forward to the first field test! :D