Page 1 of 2
Ken Lockwood
Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:13 pm
by 46er
From F&W.
"The middle parking area of the Ken Lockwood Gorge WMA, accessed from the north, is closed permanently due to irreparable road conditions.
The dirt road along the river will remain open to foot and bicycle traffic. Walkers and bicyclers should use caution when traversing this stretch of road. Parking will be very limited at the north and south ends of the Gorge at Raritan River Road. Parking is limited to the designated parking areas only. No parking is permitted along the road. Visitors should plan accordingly. Pedestrians and bicyclers may access the Ken Lockwood Gorge via the Columbia Trail. Parking for the Columbia Trail can be found off Main St. in High Bridge."
Re: Ken Lockwood
Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:26 pm
by lightenup
46er wrote: ↑Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:13 pm
From F&W.
"The middle parking area of the Ken Lockwood Gorge WMA, accessed from the north, is closed permanently due to irreparable road conditions.
The dirt road along the river will remain open to foot and bicycle traffic. Walkers and bicyclers should use caution when traversing this stretch of road. Parking will be very limited at the north and south ends of the Gorge at Raritan River Road. Parking is limited to the designated parking areas only. No parking is permitted along the road. Visitors should plan accordingly. Pedestrians and bicyclers may access the Ken Lockwood Gorge via the Columbia Trail. Parking for the Columbia Trail can be found off Main St. in High Bridge."
I am happy to hear that and also, not happy about it. Glad there are no more cars, but now I have to walk a long way to fish some of my favorite holes...I am different than most..I LOVE fishing the KLG, cut my teeth there on spin as a young lad and fly as a middle aged man, Now I am passed 50 so.... I guess walking is a good thing.
Re: Ken Lockwood
Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:02 pm
by 46er
Bicycles are legal.

Re: Ken Lockwood
Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:17 pm
by Fishybig
Sorry to here this, even though I will only fish it in the winter...what exactly is the reason for the closer??? Havent had any extremely high water to blow out the road recently?? Was there a rock fall of some sort?? Curious
Re: Ken Lockwood
Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:40 pm
by Troutman
Guess the simms & orvis catalog guys going to have to walk it in further now or get there earlier

Re: Ken Lockwood
Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:52 pm
by Fishybig
Troutman wrote: ↑Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:40 pm
Guess the simms & orvis catalog guys going to have to walk it in further now or get there earlier
I coulda swore that you had so many Simms waders that you were trying to sell a pair?? Jk I know what ya mean....
Re: Ken Lockwood
Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:06 pm
by Troutman
Fishybig wrote: ↑Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:52 pm
Troutman wrote: ↑Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:40 pm
Guess the simms & orvis catalog guys going to have to walk it in further now or get there earlier
I coulda swore that you had so many Simms waders that you were trying to sell a pair?? Jk I know what ya mean....
I was trying to @ 1 point before I lost some major weight

. Now I can fit the smaller size

. Now there my summer waders. So no longer for sale

Re: Ken Lockwood
Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:13 pm
by Troutman
Fishybig wrote: ↑Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:17 pm
Sorry to here this, even though I will only fish it in the winter...what exactly is the reason for the closer??? Havent had any extremely high water to blow out the road recently?? Was there a rock fall of some sort?? Curious
I also will only fish that stretch in the winter. When the madness is over. I really feel there is more action from Hoffman X bridge up anyway. Most guys still practice C&R in that stretch
The road way that was closed to traffic was in decline for many years from erosion. The state never decided to repair it. & looks NJ doesnt even have plans to.
Re: Ken Lockwood
Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:02 am
by Jaybird
Best thing that could have ever happened to the fishing there.
Re: Ken Lockwood
Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:25 am
by Bubba Zinetti
I repeat what I have said in the past about KLG: To quote Yogi Berra "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded"
Re: Ken Lockwood
Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:38 am
by BiggerThomas
Troutman wrote: ↑Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:40 pm
Guess the simms & orvis catalog guys going to have to walk it in further now or get there earlier
No worries. We'll take our choppers.
Re: Ken Lockwood
Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:39 am
by BiggerThomas
Jaybird wrote: ↑Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:02 am
Best thing that could have ever happened to the fishing there.
Agreed, esp. during a pandemic when people from 200 miles away are always looking for somewhere to go.
Re: Ken Lockwood
Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:39 am
by Rusty Spinner
TU has been pushing the Division to close the road year round for many, many years now. This is a great thing, not a good thing. NJ anglers are WAY TOO LAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get off your fat A$$ES and do some walking. Suck it up, buttercup. And don't give me "I'm old and handicapped and need to drive to the river's edge" because you have no business fishing 99% of the Gorge water if that is truly the case. Find a big, long, flat pool on the Musky instead. Now we need to remove half the width of the existing roads to reclaim the habitat since the old road is always washing into the river, introducing non-native stone (shot rock). The last time the Division built the road, they added the two ridiculous handicapped access platforms which violated state law. Everyone had egg on their faces. Get rid of the road, reduce traffic, improve the fishing by less competition.
Re: Ken Lockwood
Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:17 pm
by lightenup
Rusty Spinner wrote: ↑Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:39 am
TU has been pushing the Division to close the road year round for many, many years now. This is a great thing, not a good thing. NJ anglers are WAY TOO LAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get off your fat A$$ES and do some walking. Suck it up, buttercup. And don't give me "I'm old and handicapped and need to drive to the river's edge" because you have no business fishing 99% of the Gorge water if that is truly the case. Find a big, long, flat pool on the Musky instead. Now we need to remove half the width of the existing roads to reclaim the habitat since the old road is always washing into the river, introducing non-native stone (shot rock). The last time the Division built the road, they added the two ridiculous handicapped access platforms which violated state law. Everyone had egg on their faces. Get rid of the road, reduce traffic, improve the fishing by less competition.
But wading boots are expensive and I don't want mine to wear out....

Re: Ken Lockwood
Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:55 pm
by Drossi
BiggerThomas wrote: ↑Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:39 am
Jaybird wrote: ↑Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:02 am
Best thing that could have ever happened to the fishing there.
Agreed, esp. during a pandemic when people from 200 miles away are always looking for somewhere to go.
Aaah the gorge, that magical spot with enormous drawing power, God bless it. Love it, keeps the masses occupied and off other waterways.
I fished 2 different rivers this weekend both days in the early afternoon. Weather was good, bugs hatching on Sunday.....and saw 5 other anglers (3 of which were a father and 2 sons), period, end of story. Both rather popular spots, 1 Morris County, NJ, the other in the Poconos. Now that youth sports are back open and golf clubhouses have larger capacities I expect the crowded streams will subside. Dunnefield hollow parking lot was a ZOO though!
Re: Ken Lockwood
Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:43 pm
by Rusty Spinner
Drossi wrote: ↑Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:55 pm
BiggerThomas wrote: ↑Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:39 am
Jaybird wrote: ↑Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:02 am
Best thing that could have ever happened to the fishing there.
Agreed, esp. during a pandemic when people from 200 miles away are always looking for somewhere to go.
Aaah the gorge, that magical spot with enormous drawing power, God bless it. Love it, keeps the masses occupied and off other waterways.
I fished 2 different rivers this weekend both days in the early afternoon. Weather was good, bugs hatching on Sunday.....and saw 5 other anglers (3 of which were a father and 2 sons), period, end of story. Both rather popular spots, 1 Morris County, NJ, the other in the Poconos. Now that youth sports are back open and golf clubhouses have larger capacities I expect the crowded streams will subside. Dunnefield hollow parking lot was a ZOO though!
I completely agree. I bet I average one fishing trip to the Gorge per year, and I pick my days carefully even then, As for Dunnfield, that's likely because Van Campens is closed for major restoration work.
Re: Ken Lockwood
Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:44 pm
by Rusty Spinner
lightenup wrote: ↑Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:17 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote: ↑Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:39 am
TU has been pushing the Division to close the road year round for many, many years now. This is a great thing, not a good thing. NJ anglers are WAY TOO LAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get off your fat A$$ES and do some walking. Suck it up, buttercup. And don't give me "I'm old and handicapped and need to drive to the river's edge" because you have no business fishing 99% of the Gorge water if that is truly the case. Find a big, long, flat pool on the Musky instead. Now we need to remove half the width of the existing roads to reclaim the habitat since the old road is always washing into the river, introducing non-native stone (shot rock). The last time the Division built the road, they added the two ridiculous handicapped access platforms which violated state law. Everyone had egg on their faces. Get rid of the road, reduce traffic, improve the fishing by less competition.
But wading boots are expensive and I don't want mine to wear out....
What size are you? Maybe I can loan you a pair

Re: Ken Lockwood
Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:03 pm
by martalus
just wet wade in tennis shoes-no need for fancy wading boots.
Re: Ken Lockwood
Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:23 pm
by lightenup
martalus wrote: ↑Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:03 pm
just wet wade in tennis shoes-no need for fancy wading boots.
Too cold in early spring for me....I have Korkers redsides and I glued the soles back on with Gorilla glue...Git another year at least out of 'em doing that.
Re: Ken Lockwood
Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:16 pm
by Troutman
BiggerThomas wrote: ↑Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:38 am
Troutman wrote: ↑Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:40 pm
Guess the simms & orvis catalog guys going to have to walk it in further now or get there earlier
No worries. We'll take our choppers.
