Net Rig

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
MickyFinn

Net Rig

Post by MickyFinn » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:37 am

As I see it, there are three or four ways of rigging the landing net to keep it out of the way. (Something I haven't accomplished yet.) I have seen the D-ring, between-the-shoulders hang on a dedicated zinger; the magnetic-release (with zinger?) between-shoulders-hang; and the net-holster (on sling pack} hang-behind-back--and the low-hanging, floating tether, maybe.

Tired of the net swinging around and getting in the way. Any recommendations? :?:

Rusty Spinner

Re: Net Rig

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:51 am

I have always hung mine from a loop in the middle of my back (vest or now chest pack) attached to a magnetic release. No zinger, the net is attached to a stretchy cord. Can't say I've ever had an issue. But they make some wading belts these days that secure your net on your non-casting side that you may want to check out if this remains an issue.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

barkeater

Post by barkeater » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:17 am

I wear a sling pack and have mine attached by strong zinger to my pack at my right shoulder. The pack sits across my back out of the way when fishing. I'm right handed and play the fish with my right hand and have always switched to my left for landing. This allows me to reach behind me with my right hand without looking to easily get ahold of my net. Works well for me and having all of my equipment attached to the pack makes it easier to gear up.

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:52 pm

I use the magnetic release with a stretchy tether from the D ring on back of my vest. I've used a zinger in the past as well. Both work fine, the net is just a PITA in general but I carry it cause I'm tired of getting a hook in my hand trying to handle fish while fishing 2 fly rigs.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

SBRtool

Post by SBRtool » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:38 pm

I only starting using a net like 3 years ago and used a magnetic release. I liked it but had to be careful walking through thick brush cause sometimes it would snag on something and come off but I'd usually always notice it. Well, I lost my net a few trips ago fishing a WTS so I had to order a new net. I just reordered a cheaper rubber mesh net off amazon for like $40. Go to use new net for first time, clip it on again using magnetic clip and hit the Musky. Twenty minutes into fishing I realize the stupid net is gone. Looked for it for awhile but couldn't find it. Needless to say I will not be losing a 3rd net due to a magnetic clip.

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:00 pm

SBRtool wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:38 pm
I only starting using a net like 3 years ago and used a magnetic release. I liked it but had to be careful walking through thick brush cause sometimes it would snag on something and come off but I'd usually always notice it. Well, I lost my net a few trips ago fishing a WTS so I had to order a new net. I just reordered a cheaper rubber mesh net off amazon for like $40. Go to use new net for first time, clip it on again using magnetic clip and hit the Musky. Twenty minutes into fishing I realize the stupid net is gone. Looked for it for awhile but couldn't find it. Needless to say I will not be losing a 3rd net due to a magnetic clip.

Like rusty said , a thin bungee cord from your net handle to a loop on the bottom of your vest or chest pack along with the magnetic net keeper , keeps everything from getting lost . Also with the bungee you can let go of the net in waist high water and it's not going anywhere .

MickyFinn

Post by MickyFinn » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:34 am

Thank you all for the input. I am going with a chest pack that will have a proper D-ring in the back. I already have a retractor for the net that's been collecting dust for about a year at least. With another, smaller retractor in front, for clippers and knot-tool--should be a sweet set-up. No more fighting with that damned net! :D

46er

Post by 46er » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:36 am

I stopped using a net many years ago and crimped down the barb. Now use barbless. The net was something that always caught more branches than fish. ;)
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:11 am

i have a magnet rig on my back. been loving it, it even holds my big wide net.

cappy

Post by cappy » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:59 am

I use one of these.
https://www.handypaknetco.com/product-p ... ther-pouch

The only improvement I made was to replace the bag with a Measure-Net medium nylon bag which is fish friendly, and much lighter and bulky then a ghost bag.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:19 pm

MickyFinn wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:34 am
Thank you all for the input. I am going with a chest pack that will have a proper D-ring in the back. I already have a retractor for the net that's been collecting dust for about a year at least. With another, smaller retractor in front, for clippers and knot-tool--should be a sweet set-up. No more fighting with that damned net! :D
Just re-enforce the connections, I lost a ghost net in the woods a few years back as the little chingadera that holds the net on the handle came out. I now sew and tie a leather strap around the wood loop of the net and hang it with a retractor from a d-loop on my waist pack. works great and the handle is always at the ready by my side....only one issue, if you step into the current wrong the net may flip around and the handle may poke you in the butt.....a quick wake-up call, and an easy adjustment fixes it. ;)

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:50 pm

SBRtool wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:38 pm
Sounds like you aren't attaching the net correctly in the system. When my net "falls off" when I'm walking in brush, it is still very much attached to me. The magnet just holds it up against my back until I give it a gentle pull with my left hand as I am ready to net my fish. But the bungee cord is still attached to my net and my back, so the net cannot get lost.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:59 pm

Net 1.jpg
Net 1.jpg (181.54 KiB) Viewed 10474 times
Net 2.jpg
Net 2.jpg (190.07 KiB) Viewed 10474 times
Upper photo shows a proper magnetic release setup when fully attached. The second photo shows what it all looks like when the net is deployed. You will see that it is still very much attached to my chest pack. I change out the bungee strap every few years depending on use, but that magnetic release is over 20 years old.

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:05 pm

I keep it ultra simple: I don't use a net.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:20 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:05 pm
Translation to English: "I never catch big fish, so I don't need a net". :lol:

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:14 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:20 pm
BiggerThomas wrote:
I don't know if this will vindicate me or land me in even more trouble! :lol:
Attachments
96BC2D59-0BAF-453A-9F35-FE9687C51D64.jpeg
96BC2D59-0BAF-453A-9F35-FE9687C51D64.jpeg (106.54 KiB) Viewed 10454 times
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:44 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:14 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
BiggerThomas wrote:

Rarely have I seen anyone put a rainbow trout in a cobra clutch ala Sgt Slaughter. Did the trout submit?

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:26 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:14 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
BiggerThomas wrote:
What??? Nobody caught the world famous Gill Grab????? :o :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: