"There's one in every crowd..."

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
MickyFinn

"There's one in every crowd..."

Post by MickyFinn » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:09 pm

Thought I'd share this experience--took place a couple of evenings ago on the local trout stream. Arrive to find the place empty and fish are rising. Attempt to get down the steep bank and enter the water with minimal disturbance, then move out to mid-stream position where I could best cast to the feeding fish. In short order, I've landed four RBW and two BRN--others continue to rise just upstream. Great fun.

Then something causes me to look to my left. A thick-necked guy with shaved head all-but-tumbles down the ten-foot streambank to the water's edge--like he's in a big hurry--pants are on fire and he needs to get to the water. No waders, he stops at the water's edge almost within reach of my nine-foot fly rod. Yeah, you can imagine what I was thinking: "Dude!...".

But then this sudden intruder blurts out something like, "Yeah, nice--wading right in the middle of the pool and scaring the fish. What a d__k!" To which I shoot back, "Hey, bud'--that's how you catch fish." I'm thinking, "Hey, bro'--wise up. You're horning in on my fishing." With his clumsy arrival, he probably put-down all the fish in that pool, but is unfazed, replies, "No you don't; that's how you scare fish. You're a d__k!"

Well, I guess I was nervy enough to have occupied that guy's favorite spot without checking with him beforehand about whether he was planning to fish there at some time in that day--or consulting him about fishing etiquette. He might have said something to the effect that the wading fisherman must always yield to the streambank-bound sociopath. But the jackass, really tainted an otherwise-enjoyable outing.

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Re: "There's one in every crowd..."

Post by BiggerThomas » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:58 pm

MickyFinn wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:09 pm
A thick-necked guy with shaved head .
Say no more, broski. Say no more.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:57 am

You and your Fancy wading pants , .....sounds like a great fella , I'm sure the Little Lady at home is all smiles .

Bubba Zinetti

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:49 am

I think that this, or something like it, has happened to all of us at one time or another. Sorry that a jerk disturbed your calm. Unfortunately there is not much that you can do in situations like this without escalating the problem. Thankfully the person left.

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:59 am

Jaybird wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:57 am
You and your Fancy wading pants , .....sounds like a great fella , I'm sure the Little Lady at home is all smiles .
Don't forget the chopper... 8-)
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:37 pm

that was you :roll: :roll: :?: . next time Ill throw rocks into that pool your fishing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

BiggerThomas

Post by BiggerThomas » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:13 am

Troutman wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:37 pm
that was you :roll: :roll: :?: . next time Ill throw rocks into that pool your fishing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's actually a great strategy... :lol:

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:28 am

Happened to me at the Muskie on Tuesday, thankfully the family of geese chased him away.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:48 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:13 am
Troutman wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:37 pm
That's actually a great strategy... :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1