Cicadas--the 'filet mignon' for fish?

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Cicadas--the 'filet mignon' for fish?

Post by BiggerThomas » Sat May 08, 2021 10:43 am

Technically this article is about Pennsylvania, but the cicadas are now in NJ, so....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.goerie ... 7113309002
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

martalus

Re: Cicadas--the 'filet mignon' for fish?

Post by martalus » Tue May 11, 2021 9:42 am

They are supposed to be here in DC, but the unseasonably cool weather seems to have stalled their emergence-I haven't heard any yet-apparently last time they came out here you couldnt miss them, they were so loud.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu May 13, 2021 9:57 am

The biggest hoax in the world put on us by fly fishing magazines is that the cicada hatch will be important. Every 7 o 10 years, there is supposed to be a super emergence as there is this year, so fly mags run stories of huge trout caught on foam cicadas. And they add the obligatory tying instructions for them. All lies! :D

But the one fly we should all start tying and fishing (later this summer) is the spotted lantern fly. They are here to stay, hatch in increasing numbers every year, and trout do look for them floundering on the water as they fall off streamside vegetation.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Thu May 13, 2021 2:35 pm

Problem with the cicadas is guys get hyped up , tie them up huge and when and IF , I SAID IF , they get a trout to eat them ,the hook up rate is low cause the trout wasn't big enough to take in a big ole hard foam fly . That said show me a bass pond or a carp pond with cicadas that's the targets I want .
The Lantern Flies 👍

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Thu May 13, 2021 4:51 pm

I think the Chernobyl Ant will suffice...
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Fri May 14, 2021 8:27 am

If u want trout that eat cicadas I think central PA is where you need to go

robtf

Post by robtf » Mon May 24, 2021 11:03 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:57 am
The biggest hoax in the world put on us by fly fishing magazines is that the cicada hatch will be important. Every 7 o 10 years, there is supposed to be a super emergence as there is this year, so fly mags run stories of huge trout caught on foam cicadas. And they add the obligatory tying instructions for them. All lies! :D

But the one fly we should all start tying and fishing (later this summer) is the spotted lantern fly. They are here to stay, hatch in increasing numbers every year, and trout do look for them floundering on the water as they fall off streamside vegetation.
Neighbor spotted the first SLF down here in Smithville this week.
----

living in the land of clammies

BiggerThomas

Post by BiggerThomas » Tue May 25, 2021 9:23 am

robtf wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 11:03 am
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:57 am

Neighbor spotted the first SLF down here in Smithville this week.
They're definitely around. I saw them in Chester back in late April. Beautiful specimens, actually.

martalus

Post by martalus » Tue May 25, 2021 9:59 am

With the hot weather this past weekend, they are all over the place in DC now. There are even articles about humans cooking them-apparently you just rip of the legs/wings and fry them up and they taste like pop corn or fried shrimp...

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue May 25, 2021 12:51 pm

A buddy that lives in Jackson sent pix this morning of hordes of them in that part of NJ. Still not seeing any up here just yet.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown