Warmth Under Waders

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
MickyFinn

Warmth Under Waders

Post by MickyFinn » Sun May 09, 2021 7:04 am

So, at least one source says not to wear jeans under your waders--because they are abrasive to the interior of the waders, as I understand it. I've used fleece bibs (for ice-climbing) during the winter--and have been getting by with lighter fleece sweat-pants in the cool months (like lately). But I'm wondering what the rest of the wader-fishing world wears in times like now when the water is still pretty cold and the air is, at least, cool? :?:

Vance

Re: Warmth Under Waders

Post by Vance » Sun May 09, 2021 7:45 am

Have been wearing waders for years and years. I always wear jeans and have had no trouble with the waders. Probably a clothing store put out the thing about jeans wearing out the waders. Bill the mailman

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Sun May 09, 2021 7:55 am

just sport sweatpants, like Adidas. it could be bad if you're standing in water all day and not moving around. You could just get a pair of neoprenes to use whenever it warrants extra warmth.

I wear gym shots and long socks when it's hot but like to still wear waders.

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Sun May 09, 2021 9:10 am

I can't see the type of clothing per se being the problem but rather protruding buttons/snaps, zippers, or an angry rivet.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Sun May 09, 2021 10:06 am

I wear waders like I wear my Kilt..Free style!! :!:

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Sun May 09, 2021 11:26 am

lightenup wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 10:06 am
Lol..does that impact the breathability in negative way or a positive way?

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Sun May 09, 2021 1:36 pm

Fishybig wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 11:26 am
lightenup wrote:
I'd imagine it raises the temperature in the Dutch Oven.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Sun May 09, 2021 6:09 pm

I wear Under Armor 5.0 in the winter. It wicks away moisture also so your sweat wont turn cold afterwards ;) . I use this set up In Pulaski Steek head fishing with another 3.0 under the 5.0. DOnt feel any cold what so ever
Was known as Troutman1

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Sun May 09, 2021 9:21 pm

Fishybig wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 11:26 am
lightenup wrote:
Well, I have to switch pant legs once in a while to keep it cool. Thats why I don't wear chest waders, just pants waders...😎

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon May 10, 2021 9:47 am

I wear jeans mostly under my waders except in winter when jeans aren't warm enough. But with water temps in the 60s, I was wet wading in Virginia for work (wasn't fishing, just working in the river). If I'm fishing a tailwater that is colder than freestoners, then I may wear long johns under my jeans and a heavy pair of ski socks to keep my toes warm.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

MickyFinn

Post by MickyFinn » Mon May 10, 2021 8:11 pm

Thank you all for your responses to this personal inquiry. I have long-john bottoms of different thicknesses--but the thought of stepping out of waders in something with a lame-looking fly--well, that's just not cool at some place like Ken Lockwood! :o

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon May 10, 2021 9:06 pm

MickyFinn wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 8:11 pm
Thank you all for your responses to this personal inquiry. I have long-john bottoms of different thicknesses--but the thought of stepping out of waders in something with a lame-looking fly--well, that's just not cool at some place like Ken Lockwood! :o
let go get some LL.Bean long johns for when you go to KLG ;) :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Luke_M310

Post by Luke_M310 » Tue May 11, 2021 9:59 am

I wear Kuhl Deceptr pants under my waders (and in everyday life). Much more comfortable than jeans. Probably won't keep you warm if the temp is noticeably cold, but they are very comfortable and there's a lot of flex/stretch in the material. The fabric is also water resistant. I've worn them under waders this spring with zero issues.

Not cheap, but a great pair of outdoor pants. To be fair, I don't know if I'd buy them JUST to wear under waders, but I happily wear them as part of my daily routine when not at work, so using them under waders was a no brainer.

https://www.kuhl.com/kuhl/mens/pants/deceptr/

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Tue May 11, 2021 12:35 pm

I've almost always wear jeans. In the cold weather I'll wear underarmor or long johns under the jeans or a pair of fleece lined jeans. No issues for 45 years, no need to change now.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Bubba Zinetti

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Wed May 12, 2021 9:36 am

I thought I would add my 0.02$: Jeans are quite comfy, until you get them wet, usually because you fell in. Then they suck. They will not retain warmth when wet, they will take forever to dry. It is the drying time that moved me away from jeans years ago. For warmth I wear long underwear underneath my quick drying pants. There are many styles and manufacturers of quick drying pants, so they are usually cheaper than all but the cheapest jeans. Quick drying pants are great for wet wading, I could not imagine doing a wet wade in a pair of jeans.
YMMV and all that.

Leadhead

Post by Leadhead » Wed May 12, 2021 1:48 pm

I use sweat pants or a thermal base layer. You could get the wader liners from Simms. Only about $230.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Fri May 14, 2021 11:38 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 9:47 am
I wear jeans mostly under my waders except in winter when jeans aren't warm enough. But with water temps in the 60s, I was wet wading in Virginia for work (wasn't fishing, just working in the river). If I'm fishing a tailwater that is colder than freestoners, then I may wear long johns under my jeans and a heavy pair of ski socks to keep my toes warm.
Ski socks aren't heavy, they are thin and moisture wicking. An excellent choice though. I also wear ski socks, with a pair of heavy Cabela's knee highs over them in cold water. Merino wool is also an excellent choice for sock...spray your feet with anti-perspirant as well..
You're welcome
Signed,
The sweaty feet guy who skiis and fishes.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Fri May 14, 2021 11:44 pm

lightenup wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 11:38 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Ski socks aren't heavy, they are thin and moisture wicking. An excellent choice though. I also wear ski socks, with a pair of heavy Cabela's knee highs over them in cold water. Merino wool is also an excellent choice for sock...spray your feet with anti-perspirant as well..
You're welcome
Signed,
You can also get the shake up foot warmers that stick to.the bottom.of your socks...a fantastic addition!!

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Sat May 15, 2021 7:03 am

lightenup wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 11:44 pm
lightenup wrote:
Rusty Spinner wrote:
You're welcome
Signed,
You can also get the shake up foot warmers that stick to.the bottom.of your socks...a fantastic addition!!
polyester dress socks also work well as a base layer for your feet. wicks away moisture & will keep your feet semi warm if your nothing wearing anything over it
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon May 17, 2021 4:36 pm

lightenup wrote:
Rusty Spinner wrote:
You're welcome
Signed,
By "ski socks" I simply mean warm, insulated, moisture wicking socks. I ski raced for 15 years of my life and coached a few more after racing. My ski socks always depended on the temps outside at the time. But I know what you mean.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown