Quick trip

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
martalus

Quick trip

Post by martalus » Mon May 17, 2021 10:42 am

I was in town for a family party this weekend and am sticking around as my dad goes through some medical issues. After dropping my wife and kid off at train in Trenton (more of a dump that I remember) I stopped by Packers Island on the SBRR and slung a spinner around looking for any aggressive stocked trout that may have migrated there or willing smallies. One fish took a swipe but not sure if it was a smallie or trout. I then drove up to Califon/Vernoy for old times sake. Fish were not interested in the spinner and there were lots of rising fish so I broke out the fly rod-the last time I fly fished was in September in the Shenandoah mountains and the time before that last spring in Maryland. This past year I have really targeted shad and smallies on the Potomac. I was a little rusty but did manage a cookie cutter rainbow on a sulpher and a wild brookie on a hares ear in a short session. I may had back out this evening for a longer session. With the clear water and hatches and good water temps, this is great dry fly season. Also good to see wild brookies in Vernoy right where I last saw them 10+ years ago.

SBRtool

Re: Quick trip

Post by SBRtool » Mon May 17, 2021 12:19 pm

I fish that stretch a decent bit since I moved to that area 5 years ago and a week ago I also got a wild brookie there. First one I've ever caught in that stretch so figured that was good to see.

martalus

Post by martalus » Mon May 17, 2021 12:56 pm

SBRtool wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:19 pm
I fish that stretch a decent bit since I moved to that area 5 years ago and a week ago I also got a wild brookie there. First one I've ever caught in that stretch so figured that was good to see.

Its amazing-the brookie was the exact same size (about 6 inches) in the exact same place in the exact same riffle as 10-15 years ago.

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Mon May 17, 2021 1:24 pm

martalus wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:56 pm
SBRtool wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:19 pm

Its amazing-the brookie was the exact same size (about 6 inches) in the exact same place in the exact same riffle as 10-15 years ago.

A good lie is a good lie . The fish may change but some of the spots don't . A friend and I talk about 1 spot that always has a trout in it . The trout may change , the way that lie has food funneled into it has not , and that's why there's always a healthy sized fish in it .

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon May 17, 2021 3:08 pm

welcome back temporary to Dirty Jerzey ;) . Its like you never left but a little worse :o :o :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

martalus

Post by martalus » Mon May 17, 2021 3:35 pm

Troutman wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 3:08 pm
welcome back temporary to Dirty Jerzey ;) . Its like you never left but a little worse :o :o :lol: :lol:

Thanks-its a bit of a bitter sweet trip-we had the first big family party since Christmas of 2019 which was super nice. My dad started chemo today which is less nice. Spending a few hours at some of my old fishing haunts does provide some solace. My brother happened to be down in DC a few weeks ago when the diagnosis came in, so the fact that we had some epic shad sessions was also the fish Gods proving some succor.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon May 17, 2021 3:38 pm

martalus wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 3:35 pm
Troutman wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 3:08 pm

Thanks-its a bit of a bitter sweet trip-we had the first big family party since Christmas of 2019 which was super nice. My dad started chemo today which is less nice. Spending a few hours at some of my old fishing haunts does provide some solace. My brother happened to be down in DC a few weeks ago when the diagnosis came in, so the fact that we had some epic shad sessions was also the fish Gods proving some succor.
Godspeed for your Dad's recovery man ......
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon May 17, 2021 5:19 pm

Those wild brookies come from a tributary above Shannon's Private Water/Raritan Inn. The private water sees a fair number of wild brookies in certain areas (where the big browns and bows don't hang) and always has.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

martalus

Post by martalus » Tue May 18, 2021 1:36 pm

I took an even quicker trip to the edge of the yard for a few casts on the home creek. Forgot to grab my polarized sunglasses and just had on a hares ear with no indicator casting up stream to the biggest hole in the stream-it is slow moving water so without the glasses and indicator, felt like I was fishing blind. Fortunately I was able to use the force and detect a strike from a healthy and feisty pan sized wild brown which put a decent bend on the old 3 weight. Thought about bringing him in for lunch but thought better of it and released him.
Attachments
brown.jpg
brown.jpg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 6195 times