Wet Wading Season Opener

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
MickyFinn

Wet Wading Season Opener

Post by MickyFinn » Tue May 18, 2021 6:01 pm

Out at it today and left the waders at home. I knew I would be fishing a small stream and likely not wading deep. But the water felt good! I don't know why some people are so against wet-wading. Light going, comfortable in hot weather, and convenient pit-stops. What's not to like?!

Fishybig

Re: Wet Wading Season Opener

Post by Fishybig » Tue May 18, 2021 7:26 pm

I dont like balls deep wet wading but knee deep in dead of summer fer smallies is always refreshing!!! Wtg on the early season dunking!!

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Tue May 18, 2021 8:44 pm

Just did it today myself, tried for smbs but selected shallow and flowing water, I bet they are still in the deeper holes like I saw them last week. Probably water so low they cant venture around. The one deep hole i was hoping for had carp in it lol.
Fishybig wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 7:26 pm
I dont like balls deep wet wading but knee deep in dead of summer fer smallies is always refreshing!!! Wtg on the early season dunking!!
idk having the cool water relieve my sweaty balls and swamp ass is a real luxury :mrgreen:

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed May 19, 2021 12:45 am

catching a parasite infection from a semi open cut while in the water. I used to wet wade all the time as a youngster. Not now. read that some people can actual die from it. There was a guy that fell into some brackish water crabbing in south jersey. He started to swell up & then they started cutting his appendages. Next thing you know he died :cry:
Was known as Troutman1

46er

Post by 46er » Wed May 19, 2021 7:19 am

Troutman wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 12:45 am
catching a parasite infection from a semi open cut while in the water. I used to wet wade all the time as a youngster. Not now. read that some people can actual die from it. There was a guy that fell into some brackish water crabbing in south jersey. He started to swell up & then they started cutting his appendages. Next thing you know he died :cry:
Its a saltwater thing, so don't wet wade or swim in the bays or tidal rivers ;)

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2019/06/f ... en%20five.
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed May 19, 2021 7:30 am

46er wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 7:19 am
Troutman wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 12:45 am
Its a saltwater thing, so don't wet wade or swim in the bays or tidal rivers ;)

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2019/06/f ... en%20five.
thank you...
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed May 19, 2021 10:23 am

I wore waders yesterday and felt silly it was so warm. But I had forgotten my Simms wet wading socks, so waders it was. However, I did wet wade during our Virginia stream restoration job the other week as it was very warm down there at the time. I'll be on the upper Delaware next week, but those water temps are still in the upper 40s, so waders it will be for me.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

martalus

Post by martalus » Wed May 19, 2021 10:25 am

I prefer to wet wade from May onward. The one exception is if I am going to be wading waste deep or more for extended periods in a tail water. Last fathers day I fished a tail water with temps in the low 50s-it was bizzare as the air temp got into the high 80s/low 90s and my face was sweating but my body and feet were ice cold, even in waders.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed May 19, 2021 11:45 am

martalus wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 10:25 am
I prefer to wet wade from May onward. The one exception is if I am going to be wading waste deep or more for extended periods in a tail water. Last fathers day I fished a tail water with temps in the low 50s-it was bizzare as the air temp got into the high 80s/low 90s and my face was sweating but my body and feet were ice cold, even in waders.
My favorite Western river who's name will go unmentioned flows from a very deep reservoir located at elevation. Flows are steady, but water temps are 44F in the morning, climbing to 46F by end of the day. This river is located in what I would call high desert plateau, and daytime air temps on a cool day are in the 90s and on a hot day in the lower 100s. Talk about a freak show - frozen toes under several layers with sweat pouring out of every gland above your waist while you are wearing nothing but a moisture wicking short sleeved fishing shirt and sweating through it. As great as the fishing is, I never get used to those temperature inversions while wading it.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed May 19, 2021 12:03 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 11:45 am
martalus wrote:
My favorite Western river who's name will go unmentioned flows from a very deep reservoir located at elevation. Flows are steady, but water temps are 44F in the morning, climbing to 46F by end of the day. This river is located in what I would call high desert plateau, and daytime air temps on a cool day are in the 90s and on a hot day in the lower 100s. Talk about a freak show - frozen toes under several layers with sweat pouring out of every gland above your waist while you are wearing nothing but a moisture wicking short sleeved fishing shirt and sweating through it. As great as the fishing is, I never get used to those temperature inversions while wading it.
The Big Horn?

martalus

Post by martalus » Wed May 19, 2021 12:07 pm

Of course, nothing is better than summer smallie wet wading which is right around the corner at this rate. It went from being quite chilly to dry and hot very quickly. The trout streams do need some rain as it is quite dry. Conversely, these low flows are ideal for smallmouth spawning and fishing-its the late spring floods that can cause high mortality for newly hatched smallies.

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Wed May 19, 2021 12:09 pm

lightenup wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 12:03 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
martalus wrote:
The Big Horn?
Havent been there since the 90's but I always found it to be a dry heat, not much sweating but alot of liquid loss...always went in August...pmd 's most of the day and black caddis in evening

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed May 19, 2021 12:52 pm

lightenup wrote:
Rusty Spinner wrote:
martalus wrote:
The Big Horn?
Nope, but I have fished that river and it has stupid numbers of trout per mile in the upper reach. Best caddis hatch I've ever seen as well. Good guess based on tailwater and high desert plateau. ;)

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed May 19, 2021 4:11 pm

Fishybig wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 12:09 pm
lightenup wrote:
Rusty Spinner wrote:

The Big Horn?
Havent been there since the 90's but I always found it to be a dry heat, not much sweating but alot of liquid loss...always went in August...pmd 's most of the day and black caddis in evening
Fished there five years ago...black caddis all day long. Fish were the cows are man!!! :D

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Thu May 20, 2021 2:17 pm

MickyFinn wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 6:01 pm
Out at it today and left the waders at home. I knew I would be fishing a small stream and likely not wading deep. But the water felt good! I don't know why some people are so against wet-wading. Light going, comfortable in hot weather, and convenient pit-stops. What's not to like?!
Amen to that. One of life's simple pleasures, imo.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,