60 Degree Temps in July

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
cappy

60 Degree Temps in July

Post by cappy » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:01 pm

Anyone else take advantage of the weather today. Went to the upper BF.
Would have been satisfied with one. Ended up with three rainbows and two brookies, all on top.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

lightenup

Re: 60 Degree Temps in July

Post by lightenup » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:12 pm

Nice to see the heat wave end. Any trout left in the areas of the SBR around me should be happy now..66 degrees and dropping.
Sounds like a nice day. I may get out Monday if the weather holds.

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:54 am

cappy wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:01 pm
Would have been satisfied with one. Ended up with three rainbows and two brookies, all on top.
That sounds awesome, Cappy. Speaking of summer dry-fly fishing on the Big Flat, I was out recently during one of these cool mornings with a new wet-wading getup: waterproof socks. I can vouch: they work. You will feel the cool temps of the water surrounding your feet, but your skin won't get wet. They added a great dimension to my summer wet-wading routine. Here's a link if you're interested:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MYT7PZB/re ... in_2_title
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

cappy

Post by cappy » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:19 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:54 am
cappy wrote:
That sounds awesome, Cappy. Speaking of summer dry-fly fishing on the Big Flat, I was out recently during one of these cool mornings with a new wet-wading getup: waterproof socks. I can vouch: they work. You will feel the cool temps of the water surrounding your feet, but your skin won't get wet. They added a great dimension to my summer wet-wading routine. Here's a link if you're interested:

Socks look interesting thank you, going to order a pair and give it a try.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:45 am

BiggerThomas wrote:
cappy wrote:

Why are you afraid to get wet in warm summer water temps? :D
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

martalus

Post by martalus » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:00 am

I wet wade a lot for trout and especially smallies. I dont mind getting wet, but I do find it annoying to get sand/pebbles in my wading boots/old tennis shoes. Any tips on preventing that?

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:10 am

martalus wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:00 am
I wet wade a lot for trout and especially smallies. I dont mind getting wet, but I do find it annoying to get sand/pebbles in my wading boots/old tennis shoes. Any tips on preventing that?
Wet wading socks. They are just like your waders neoprene boot, but have a piece that folds down. Keeps all the sand and pebbles and goop out, mostly. Lets the water in though to keep your feet wet and cool.

martalus

Post by martalus » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:13 am

well, then the wading socks might make sense-all the cool water but much less for the filling!

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:34 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:45 am
BiggerThomas wrote:
cappy wrote:

Why are you afraid to get wet in warm summer water temps? :D
I've turned most of my summer fishing trips into long hikes (6-8 miles), so I don't want to be stuck with wet feet in my boots while hiking. The rest of me dries off pretty quickly, but wet feet trapped in boots? No Bueno.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:50 pm

lightenup wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:10 am
martalus wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:00 am
Wet wading socks. They are just like your waders neoprene boot, but have a piece that folds down. Keeps all the sand and pebbles and goop out, mostly. Lets the water in though to keep your feet wet and cool.
That's exactly how I do it in warm water weather working or fishing. I love my Simms wading socks.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown