Melt-down? Storing Waders for Summer Road Trip

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
MickyFinn

Melt-down? Storing Waders for Summer Road Trip

Post by MickyFinn » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:42 am

Heading west where things are hotter. Wondering if you older-hands have any advice about traveling with your waders subjected to the high heat that may happen under a pick-up truck topper/cap? Really like the new waders and don't want to damage them! :?:

Rusty Spinner

Re: Melt-down? Storing Waders for Summer Road Trip

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:17 am

MickyFinn wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:42 am
Heading west where things are hotter. Wondering if you older-hands have any advice about traveling with your waders subjected to the high heat that may happen under a pick-up truck topper/cap? Really like the new waders and don't want to damage them! :?:
Unless they are old rubber waders, you won't have any problems. Not sure where you are headed, but river water temps are seeing Hoot Owl closures throughout Montana. No need for waders if or when you can fish right now out West. The wildfires are very bad this year, the worst I've seen in my lifetime. Expect a lot of haze and smoke in the air. Have a great trip!
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:30 pm

MickyFinn wrote:
Why not just wear them in the air-conditioned cab? I'm only half kidding...

About 10 years ago I was coming home from the Pohat and there was a detour sign--"ROAD CLOSED"--on a country road that I usually took home. I thought to myself, "They never really mean it. I'll take my chances."

Well, when I got about halfway down the road, I see Johnny Big Law sitting there waiting for dumbasses like me. Of course he pulls me over and walks up to my window. But when he saw me in my waders and no rod or other evidence I'd been fishing, I think he thought I had some special issues going on--who TF rides around in their waders--so he just kind of asked me how my day was going and if I had any big life plans, and sent me on my way :lol:
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:03 am

BiggerThomas wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:30 pm
MickyFinn wrote:
Why not just wear them in the air-conditioned cab? I'm only half kidding...

About 10 years ago I was coming home from the Pohat and there was a detour sign--"ROAD CLOSED"--on a country road that I usually took home. I thought to myself, "They never really mean it. I'll take my chances."

Well, when I got about halfway down the road, I see Johnny Big Law sitting there waiting for dumbasses like me. Of course he pulls me over and walks up to my window. But when he saw me in my waders and no rod or other evidence I'd been fishing, I think he thought I had some special issues going on--who TF rides around in their waders--so he just kind of asked me how my day was going and if I had any big life plans, and sent me on my way :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:12 pm

store them loosely in a cooler ;)
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:41 am

If it helps, I own top of the line Simms and Redington breathable waders complete with the fancy front zippers. I own and drive a pickup truck. I keep them inside the truck on days that reach well into the upper 90s with the windows closed, and I have yet to ever experience any "damage" to them.

MickyFinn

Post by MickyFinn » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:10 am

Hey, Rusty--that is very encouraging to me. I have a new pair of Simms waders and I am hoping NOT to destroy them by driving them cross-country, through the western heat, into the northern CA fire zone for our vacation.

They say northern CA is a great trout-fishing area. Anyone know anything about that?

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:09 am

MickyFinn wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:10 am
Hey, Rusty--that is very encouraging to me. I have a new pair of Simms waders and I am hoping NOT to destroy them by driving them cross-country, through the western heat, into the northern CA fire zone for our vacation.

They say northern CA is a great trout-fishing area. Anyone know anything about that?
"Northern California" is a very large area. Can you narrow it down? And check out The Fly Shop's website as they are the # 1 shop in the nation and cover northern CA rivers and streams. I'm from California and know the general area, but most of my experience is in the Sierras.