Page 1 of 1
Variety Village on the Musconetcong--7/31/2021
Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:40 pm
by BiggerThomas
I'm posting this in the NJ Trout Fishing forum because, well, it's been slow, plus I had intended to catch trout in NJ when I went to the Musky today; however, it didn't really turn out that way
I had no luck nymphing (scud + hare's ear combo) so I switched to a dry fly (R. Wulff). I spent the rest of a morning catching a mix of red-breasted sunfish and shiners--all on top, so it was a blast. Cool air temps (57 this morning), blue skies, a peaceful stream, and not a soul to be seen. Pretty decent for the dirty and dense "armpit of America"

Re: Variety Village on the Musconetcong--7/31/2021
Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:25 am
by Rusty Spinner
Upper river above Point Mountain?
Re: Variety Village on the Musconetcong--7/31/2021
Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:03 pm
by Troutman
looks closer to mansfield lower section

Re: Variety Village on the Musconetcong--7/31/2021
Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:05 pm
by BiggerThomas
40°51'11.5"N 74°48'42.1"W
Re: Variety Village on the Musconetcong--7/31/2021
Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:12 am
by Rusty Spinner
Troutman wrote: ↑Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:03 pm
looks closer to mansfield lower section
That's what I thought. But Mansfield is well within the upper 1/3 of the river. If we are correct in our guess of location, no surprise at no trout. That section routinely sees summer water temps exceed lethality for trout and into the low 80s. We think of Point Mountain and below as year round trout water. Above it, the remaining stockies will perish once temps get that high and any wild trout will move well up into their natal tributaries for thermal refuge.
Re: Variety Village on the Musconetcong--7/31/2021
Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:18 pm
by cappy
The coordinates provided are in Hackettstown.
Re: Variety Village on the Musconetcong--7/31/2021
Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:57 pm
by Rusty Spinner
cappy wrote: ↑Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:18 pm
The coordinates provided are in Hackettstown.
So 82 degree water then

Re: Variety Village on the Musconetcong--7/31/2021
Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:48 pm
by Troutman
Rusty Spinner wrote: ↑Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:57 pm
cappy wrote: ↑Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:18 pm
The coordinates provided are in Hackettstown.
So 82 degree water then
Re: Variety Village on the Musconetcong--7/31/2021
Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:42 pm
by BiggerThomas
Troutman wrote: ↑Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:48 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote: ↑Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:57 pm
cappy wrote: ↑Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:18 pm
The coordinates provided are in Hackettstown.
So 82 degree water then
Hmm, that warm, eh? Maybe I don't have a leak in my waders, after all....

Re: Variety Village on the Musconetcong--7/31/2021
Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:38 pm
by Troutman
Re: Variety Village on the Musconetcong--7/31/2021
Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:44 am
by Rusty Spinner