Rain doing any good?

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Razorbacker

Rain doing any good?

Post by Razorbacker » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:38 am

With as much rain as we have had, the rivers and streams around here at least, still seem very very low. This is only from driving past mainly, tho I did fish the lower SBRR and the main stem above Duke Island for smallmouth a week ago. Same everywhere?

cappy

Re: Rain doing any good?

Post by cappy » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:53 pm

This time of year the ground just sucks it up, doesn't make it into the streams, and what falls directly in a stream just doesn't cut it. We would need days of steady rain to truly influence our freestone streams. I checked out a small WTS a couple of weeks ago, the water that was there was plenty cold, however no where near enough to even think about fishing it.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:19 am

Most local streams (NW part of the state) are at or near normal flows for time of year. Looks like the rest of this week is or could be wet. Fall is now right around the corner and they say we will see a strong hurricane season as far as number of storms.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:27 am

if my basement sump pump is any indication, I'd say the water table got a bit of a boost the past 24 hours.

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:53 am

Razorbacker wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:27 am
if my basement sump pump is any indication, I'd say the water table got a bit of a boost the past 24 hours.
So I guess this is the part of the storm where we all start boasting (or confessing) how many inches we got. :lol:

Here's a great map if you're interested: https://www.iweathernet.com/total-rainf ... o-72-hours
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:43 am

5.2" of rain from Henri so far and still drizzling here in Flanders in NW part of the state. I'm watching the wrap around effect and we may get more bands of heavier rains later, but too soon to say one way or the other. Luckily for my area, it wasn't a wind event as our ground is fairly saturated and lots of trees could have blown over if it were very windy.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

barkeater

Post by barkeater » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:41 pm

Always interesting to see how these big water events have rearranged the stream. There are a few trees limiting my access to different runs now that I hope are gone but I know there will be new trees blocking my casts to favorite holes and some shade trees that helped to hold trout will be gone. The river is always changing.

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:09 am

2018 was the biggest change I had ever noted. The SBRR became a totally different river between Flanders and LV from summer of 2017 to spring of 2019.

46er

Post by 46er » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:23 am

Looks like a lot of water on the way for the NW portion of the state.

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/tropical/ ... e=AL092021
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.