Page 1 of 1
Rain doing any good?
Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:38 am
by Razorbacker
With as much rain as we have had, the rivers and streams around here at least, still seem very very low. This is only from driving past mainly, tho I did fish the lower SBRR and the main stem above Duke Island for smallmouth a week ago. Same everywhere?
Re: Rain doing any good?
Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:53 pm
by cappy
This time of year the ground just sucks it up, doesn't make it into the streams, and what falls directly in a stream just doesn't cut it. We would need days of steady rain to truly influence our freestone streams. I checked out a small WTS a couple of weeks ago, the water that was there was plenty cold, however no where near enough to even think about fishing it.
Re: Rain doing any good?
Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:19 am
by Rusty Spinner
Most local streams (NW part of the state) are at or near normal flows for time of year. Looks like the rest of this week is or could be wet. Fall is now right around the corner and they say we will see a strong hurricane season as far as number of storms.
Re: Rain doing any good?
Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:27 am
by Razorbacker
if my basement sump pump is any indication, I'd say the water table got a bit of a boost the past 24 hours.
Re: Rain doing any good?
Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:53 am
by BiggerThomas
Razorbacker wrote: ↑Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:27 am
if my basement sump pump is any indication, I'd say the water table got a bit of a boost the past 24 hours.
So I guess this is the part of the storm where we all start boasting (or confessing) how many inches we got.
Here's a great map if you're interested:
https://www.iweathernet.com/total-rainf ... o-72-hours
Re: Rain doing any good?
Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:43 am
by Rusty Spinner
5.2" of rain from Henri so far and still drizzling here in Flanders in NW part of the state. I'm watching the wrap around effect and we may get more bands of heavier rains later, but too soon to say one way or the other. Luckily for my area, it wasn't a wind event as our ground is fairly saturated and lots of trees could have blown over if it were very windy.
Re: Rain doing any good?
Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:41 pm
by barkeater
Always interesting to see how these big water events have rearranged the stream. There are a few trees limiting my access to different runs now that I hope are gone but I know there will be new trees blocking my casts to favorite holes and some shade trees that helped to hold trout will be gone. The river is always changing.
Re: Rain doing any good?
Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:09 am
by Razorbacker
2018 was the biggest change I had ever noted. The SBRR became a totally different river between Flanders and LV from summer of 2017 to spring of 2019.
Re: Rain doing any good?
Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:23 am
by 46er
Looks like a lot of water on the way for the NW portion of the state.
https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/tropical/ ... e=AL092021