chest waders vs. pants

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Razorbacker

chest waders vs. pants

Post by Razorbacker » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:52 am

Time for new waders... just too many leaks to keep damming. I was going to buy some Frog Togg Hellbender pants anyway for an upcoming cast-n-blast trip to Maine as I wanted just some light waders for the very small streams I will be in up there, instead of lugging my old chest waders up. However, being I need new waders period, I am thinking of investing in a better pair of pants.

Just wanted some thoughts from you guys regarding pants vs. chest waders.... preferences? Have the pants realistically limited you at all?

cappy

Re: chest waders vs. pants

Post by cappy » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:31 am

Personally I would opt for waders, always nice to have that added length. That being said there are companies (Aquaz for example) that make convertible waders that drop down to almost the waist.

I own a set of their waders and highly recommend them. Love the material and quality.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:31 pm

Used pants for 10 years now. Never going back. The only thing I miss is a chest pocket...

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:09 pm

chest waders all the way ;)
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:25 am

I'm not normal as I regularly wade up to my nipples to make long casts on bigger rivers, so I'm a chest wader guy all the way. But on a hot day when I'm not wading deep, they fold down to waist very easily.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Bubba Zinetti

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:39 am

Here is my two cents: They can be hot, but when you need them for crossing, or deep wading or when the weather is cool there is no replacement. If it is hot, we just wet wade. I see more flexibility from having chest waders than from having just pants.

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:15 am

cappy wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:31 am
Personally I would opt for waders, always nice to have that added length. That being said there are companies (Aquaz for example) that make convertible waders that drop down to almost the waist.

I own a set of their waders and highly recommend them. Love the material and quality.
Interesting you bring up Aquaz. I had never heard of them before you did, but I had been searching for ROK made waders, because I am impressed with the Readington and other ROK reels that I have, and was wondering if there were waders out there too. I just justify dropping $600 for a pair of USA Simms, but I would happily spend the $350-ish for what Ive found for Aquaz.

Can I ask which ones you have? And I assume you are pleased with them...?

cappy

Post by cappy » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:41 am

Razorbacker wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:15 am
cappy wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:31 am

Interesting you bring up Aquaz. I had never heard of them before you did, but I had been searching for ROK made waders, because I am impressed with the Readington and other ROK reels that I have, and was wondering if there were waders out there too. I just justify dropping $600 for a pair of USA Simms, but I would happily spend the $350-ish for what Ive found for Aquaz.

Can I ask which ones you have? And I assume you are pleased with them...?
I have the Rogue. Highly impressed and they are extremely low cost waders, this wader does not have the "handwarmer slot" only a zippered pocket, which I miss but I got accustomed to not having it. I was up in the Catskills for a few days last year and had a wader failure that could not be repaired. Needed something quick and inexpensive, went to Dettes and they highly recommended the Aquaz line. Will be getting the WaderTek Convertible next.
Anatole France

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:26 am

thanks for turning me on to Aquaz. I am leaning towards the Wadertek at moment. Waffling a bit as I could get the LL Bean Kennebecs for almost nothing with my Bean Bucks, but really like the Wadertek design with the 4-layer going all the way up to the waist.

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:48 pm

The Wadertek's arrived today. Very nice design and build, but the XL's are HUUUUGE. I have to return them, but there are no L's or LT's in stock anywhere. Spoke with Aquaz today, and they have nothing in stock... nothing expected to come in before end of September at earliest.

cappy

Post by cappy » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:40 am

Try Dette in NY they look to have a L and LK in stock.

https://detteflies.com/collections/wade ... ble-waders
Anatole France

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:19 am

thanks Cappy. Doing so right now....

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:21 am

cappy wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:40 am
Try Dette in NY they look to have a L and LK in stock.

https://detteflies.com/collections/wade ... ble-waders
L is on the way. Kelly at the shop was great. Thanks for heads up!

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:22 am

if anyone else is looking at these.... the sizing chart runs way big.

I am 6'3", 220 lbs, and was swimming in the XL, chest to toe.