Page 1 of 1

chest waders vs. pants

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:52 am
by Razorbacker
Time for new waders... just too many leaks to keep damming. I was going to buy some Frog Togg Hellbender pants anyway for an upcoming cast-n-blast trip to Maine as I wanted just some light waders for the very small streams I will be in up there, instead of lugging my old chest waders up. However, being I need new waders period, I am thinking of investing in a better pair of pants.

Just wanted some thoughts from you guys regarding pants vs. chest waders.... preferences? Have the pants realistically limited you at all?

Re: chest waders vs. pants

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:31 am
by cappy
Personally I would opt for waders, always nice to have that added length. That being said there are companies (Aquaz for example) that make convertible waders that drop down to almost the waist.

I own a set of their waders and highly recommend them. Love the material and quality.

Re: chest waders vs. pants

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:31 pm
by lightenup
Used pants for 10 years now. Never going back. The only thing I miss is a chest pocket...

Re: chest waders vs. pants

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:09 pm
by Troutman
chest waders all the way ;)

Re: chest waders vs. pants

Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:25 am
by Rusty Spinner
I'm not normal as I regularly wade up to my nipples to make long casts on bigger rivers, so I'm a chest wader guy all the way. But on a hot day when I'm not wading deep, they fold down to waist very easily.

Re: chest waders vs. pants

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:39 am
by Bubba Zinetti
Here is my two cents: They can be hot, but when you need them for crossing, or deep wading or when the weather is cool there is no replacement. If it is hot, we just wet wade. I see more flexibility from having chest waders than from having just pants.

Re: chest waders vs. pants

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:15 am
by Razorbacker
cappy wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:31 am
Personally I would opt for waders, always nice to have that added length. That being said there are companies (Aquaz for example) that make convertible waders that drop down to almost the waist.

I own a set of their waders and highly recommend them. Love the material and quality.
Interesting you bring up Aquaz. I had never heard of them before you did, but I had been searching for ROK made waders, because I am impressed with the Readington and other ROK reels that I have, and was wondering if there were waders out there too. I just justify dropping $600 for a pair of USA Simms, but I would happily spend the $350-ish for what Ive found for Aquaz.

Can I ask which ones you have? And I assume you are pleased with them...?

Re: chest waders vs. pants

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:41 am
by cappy
Razorbacker wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:15 am
cappy wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:31 am
Personally I would opt for waders, always nice to have that added length. That being said there are companies (Aquaz for example) that make convertible waders that drop down to almost the waist.

I own a set of their waders and highly recommend them. Love the material and quality.
Interesting you bring up Aquaz. I had never heard of them before you did, but I had been searching for ROK made waders, because I am impressed with the Readington and other ROK reels that I have, and was wondering if there were waders out there too. I just justify dropping $600 for a pair of USA Simms, but I would happily spend the $350-ish for what Ive found for Aquaz.

Can I ask which ones you have? And I assume you are pleased with them...?
I have the Rogue. Highly impressed and they are extremely low cost waders, this wader does not have the "handwarmer slot" only a zippered pocket, which I miss but I got accustomed to not having it. I was up in the Catskills for a few days last year and had a wader failure that could not be repaired. Needed something quick and inexpensive, went to Dettes and they highly recommended the Aquaz line. Will be getting the WaderTek Convertible next.

Re: chest waders vs. pants

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:26 am
by Razorbacker
thanks for turning me on to Aquaz. I am leaning towards the Wadertek at moment. Waffling a bit as I could get the LL Bean Kennebecs for almost nothing with my Bean Bucks, but really like the Wadertek design with the 4-layer going all the way up to the waist.

Re: chest waders vs. pants

Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:48 pm
by Razorbacker
The Wadertek's arrived today. Very nice design and build, but the XL's are HUUUUGE. I have to return them, but there are no L's or LT's in stock anywhere. Spoke with Aquaz today, and they have nothing in stock... nothing expected to come in before end of September at earliest.

Re: chest waders vs. pants

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:40 am
by cappy
Try Dette in NY they look to have a L and LK in stock.

https://detteflies.com/collections/wade ... ble-waders

Re: chest waders vs. pants

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:19 am
by Razorbacker
thanks Cappy. Doing so right now....

Re: chest waders vs. pants

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:21 am
by Razorbacker
cappy wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:40 am
Try Dette in NY they look to have a L and LK in stock.

https://detteflies.com/collections/wade ... ble-waders
L is on the way. Kelly at the shop was great. Thanks for heads up!

Re: chest waders vs. pants

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:22 am
by Razorbacker
if anyone else is looking at these.... the sizing chart runs way big.

I am 6'3", 220 lbs, and was swimming in the XL, chest to toe.