Streams have been completely changed..

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
NJAngler

Streams have been completely changed..

Post by NJAngler » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:22 am

Hunterdon Streams got pounded. Never seen such destruction. New pools created, old ones now a streambed. Stream channel used to be here now its over there. Just crazy. Capoolong and Mulhockaway were just ravaged. Wild browns are still there though and some dandy pools have been created. Some quite deep. Mother nature is always the best stream improvement plan. lol

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Re: Streams have been completely changed..

Post by BiggerThomas » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:29 am

As strange as it might sound, NJ Angler has provided a bedrock of normalcy, predictability, and structure for me over the years: no matter what the cosmos throws at us--earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods--Mark is there, catching wild browns, no matter what. :lol:
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:26 pm

Why can't I see the pictures???

SBRtool

Post by SBRtool » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:51 am

Wish I could see the pics too but I can't see them either.

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:54 am

the pics come and go. I saw them the first time I opened the post, then they were gone, then back, now gone again.

46er

Post by 46er » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:48 am

Irene was really bad, this may be worse. No pics, just a minus sign -.
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:18 pm

I got a call from a landowner adjacent to a section of the Capoolong we restored for the Division several years ago. The river widened itself by up to 20'. That is amazing for a river that averages maybe 20' at its widest. Ida is now the flood of record for many watersheds here in trout country, NJ. Amazing when you think Irene was the flood of record for most until this last hurricane. We had just completed work on the lower Lopatcong when we had four out of bank events in less than 12 days (Fred, Henri, random thunderstorm that stalled, and then Ida). Ida had flows over the banks and 4'-5' high over those banks. The active channel during the flood was over 100' wide. The Lopat in low flows is as narrow as 2'-4'. Let that sink in for a bit.....
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:20 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:18 pm
I got a call from a landowner adjacent to a section of the Capoolong we restored for the Division several years ago. The river widened itself by up to 20'. That is amazing for a river that averages maybe 20' at its widest. Ida is now the flood of record for many watersheds here in trout country, NJ. Amazing when you think Irene was the flood of record for most until this last hurricane. We had just completed work on the lower Lopatcong when we had four out of bank events in less than 12 days (Fred, Henri, random thunderstorm that stalled, and then Ida). Ida had flows over the banks and 4'-5' high over those banks. The active channel during the flood was over 100' wide. The Lopat in low flows is as narrow as 2'-4'. Let that sink in for a bit.....
The brand new retaining wall next to Hunt Place in Glen Gardner is destroyed...

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:21 pm

lightenup wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:20 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Where the quarry did their SEP (Secondary Environmental Project)? The small park in Glen Gardner?

NJAngler

Post by NJAngler » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:25 pm

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:42 pm

NJAngler wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:25 pm
Try this link to see photos

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GPTrvuoy58nyz5v56
That link worked as does your VC link. Thanks for sharing. I'll post video from the lower Lopat shortly, but I don't have Ida video but rather Henri video. Ida was worse, but I wasn't there that night to film it.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:10 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:21 pm
lightenup wrote:
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Where the quarry did their SEP (Secondary Environmental Project)? The small park in Glen Gardner?
Yup.. The one we were speaking about last fall...it bowed a bit outwards in the middle and that is where it failed...

NJAngler

Post by NJAngler » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:20 pm

Bunch of rain last night out this way in Warren and Northampton Counties
Attachments
rain.PNG
rain.PNG (943.88 KiB) Viewed 11835 times

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:45 am

lightenup wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:10 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
lightenup wrote:

Yup.. The one we were speaking about last fall...it bowed a bit outwards in the middle and that is where it failed...
I stopped by late last week. All three structures, two cross veins for the heads of pools and the stone wall have all failed. The engineer has NEVER once done a successful stream restoration project. Here is another failure and a bad one at that. I spoke with the Division and they don't know what will happen, so this may be like this forever more. The cross vein boulders are not large enough and were not dug into the stream bed nor was the bed brought up on the upstream side which allowed them to get undercut and the structure failed at that point. The lower cross vein never made any sense to me because they did not build a pool below that structure nor did they need to stabilize the channel there. The wall should have looked more like a stadium than the vertical wall they built, another major mistake that shows a total lack of understanding of river restoration. Time will tell if this get repaired as it should or not.....

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:45 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:45 am
lightenup wrote:
Rusty Spinner wrote:

I stopped by late last week. All three structures, two cross veins for the heads of pools and the stone wall have all failed. The engineer has NEVER once done a successful stream restoration project. Here is another failure and a bad one at that. I spoke with the Division and they don't know what will happen, so this may be like this forever more. The cross vein boulders are not large enough and were not dug into the stream bed nor was the bed brought up on the upstream side which allowed them to get undercut and the structure failed at that point. The lower cross vein never made any sense to me because they did not build a pool below that structure nor did they need to stabilize the channel there. The wall should have looked more like a stadium than the vertical wall they built, another major mistake that shows a total lack of understanding of river restoration. Time will tell if this get repaired as it should or not.....
The poor people in the blue house.....
Hell, I'm a layman and said the wall wouldn't hold up...Heavy blocks become much lighter when the get submerged.. :ugeek:

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:21 pm

lightenup wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:45 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:45 am
lightenup wrote:

The poor people in the blue house.....
Hell, I'm a layman and said the wall wouldn't hold up...Heavy blocks become much lighter when the get submerged.. :ugeek:
Sounds like it was as well thought out as beach replenishment!! Although, a good job in this situation may have lasted longer than that lost cause....

dbarr15

Post by dbarr15 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:05 pm

I have to agree! Went to the upper section of KLG for the first time in about 3 years and was I shocked. The "roadway" of course is closed, which is great as far as I am concerned but did not realize the damage that the flood must have done to it. The river itself seems to be in good shape BUT the lack of fish was concerning. The high temps of the summer must have really devastated the population.

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:32 am

dbarr15 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:05 pm
I have to agree! Went to the upper section of KLG for the first time in about 3 years and was I shocked. The "roadway" of course is closed, which is great as far as I am concerned but did not realize the damage that the flood must have done to it. The river itself seems to be in good shape BUT the lack of fish was concerning. The high temps of the summer must have really devastated the population.
Agreed. I haven't been trout fishing in quite a while (instead, I have been hitting warm-water species). I'll head back to trout fishing next week and then will really be into it after the fall stocking. BT
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,