Wild Brook trout

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Drossi

Re: Wild Brook trout

Post by Drossi » Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:09 pm

Update I received from NJDFW, that wasn't encouraging at all.

From: "Berezin-Dowling, Maria [DEP]" <Maria.Berezin-Dowling@dep.nj.gov>
Date: August 26, 2022 at 3:22:53 PM EDT
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: xxxx Brook, xxxx Rd

Hi Dominick,

Thank you for reaching back out! We did go to sample xxxx Brook, however, there was active bridge construction at our sampling site so we were unable to sample. We did sample a tributary to xxxx Brook along xxxx Rd. At that location, we didn’t find any Brook Trout. The water levels were low (as they are everywhere right now) and the water temperature was what we consider to be marginal, meaning that it has the potential to support trout, but is just slightly above their preferred temperature range. The fish assemblage that we encountered was made up of Blacknose Dace, Creek Chub, Redfin Pickerel, and American Brook Lamprey.

xxxx Brook is definitely still on our list to be sampled, but due to the bridge work at our sampling site, we may not be able to get to it this year. If we don’t, it will be at the top of my list for next summer. What we find in that sample will determine how we proceed. At sites where Brook Trout are no longer encountered, if the habitat and water quality is right, there is always the potential to try and restore the Brook Trout population. Once we get in there and see what the status of the Brook Trout population and habitat quality look like, we’ll have a better idea of what our next steps will be.

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner – this is our busy season!

Thank you & I look forward to speaking with you again,
Maria

Maria Berezin Dowling
Fisheries Biologist Trainee
New Jersey DEP Fish and Wildlife
Bureau of Freshwater Fisheries
PO Box 394, 1255 County Rt. 629
Lebanon, NJ 08833
908-236-2118
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:21 pm

If this is the stream I think, those trout were reestablished once I thought with a different strain. I could be wrong but I thought that is what I read.

cappy

Post by cappy » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:33 am

joe_panella wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:21 pm
If this is the stream I think, those trout were reestablished once I thought with a different strain. I could be wrong but I thought that is what I read.
Yep
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

martalus

Post by martalus » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:40 am

This stream had Labrador strain brook trout planted in the 70s after the reservoir was built. Apparently when they built the reservoir, they completely disrupted the stream flows and extirpated the brookies that had been there. The fact that it was a tail water with plenty of bait fish coupled with the Labrador strain led to larger than average brook trout.

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:11 am

I always thought browns would do very well in that stream.

cappy

Post by cappy » Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:47 pm

This thread got me motivated to give it another go. As has been typical for many years now, nothing but Fallfish and Sunfish. Grabbed one of my softer Tenkara rods with a dry fly and hit the streams headwaters. Had to switch to a black Kebari. The dry was getting hammered, and I got tired of drying it off between catches. Can't say I didn't have fun, some of the Sunfish were nice size, and put up a good fight with the soft Tenkara rod.
Anatole France

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:00 am

joe_panella wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:11 am
I always thought browns would do very well in that stream.
I'm of the same opinion, at this point in the streams evolution browns would likely be a better option (cause something has clearly changed to eradicate the brook trout).
You're NOT worthy
slingin' cane

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:04 am

cappy wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:47 pm
This thread got me motivated to give it another go. As has been typical for many years now, nothing but Fallfish and Sunfish. Grabbed one of my softer Tenkara rods with a dry fly and hit the streams headwaters. Had to switch to a black Kebari. The dry was getting hammered, and I got tired of drying it off between catches. Can't say I didn't have fun, some of the Sunfish were nice size, and put up a good fight with the soft Tenkara rod.
Sunfish is a bad sign relative to the brook trout population, warm water fish. They are fun to catch though, at this point I might have to take the short bamboo up there and give it a go. Sunfish are better than no fish and it's close to the home base so I can get an hour in without much trouble.
You're NOT worthy
slingin' cane

cappy

Post by cappy » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:25 am

Drossi wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:04 am
cappy wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:47 pm
Sunfish is a bad sign relative to the brook trout population, warm water fish. They are fun to catch though, at this point I might have to take the short bamboo up there and give it a go. Sunfish are better than no fish and it's close to the home base so I can get an hour in without much trouble.
Granted it had a low flow due to minimal release, however the water was warmer then I would have expected for being so close to the primary source. I don't believe the state will stock, or approve of Browns being privately stocked, would need to be a clandestine stocking.
Anatole France