SBRR encroachers

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Razorbacker

Re: SBRR encroachers

Post by Razorbacker » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:27 pm

I just realized...... at 57 I have become a cranky old man.

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:56 am

Razorbacker wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:27 pm
I just realized...... at 57 I have become a cranky old man.
No your not cranky you just like not getting pellets shot at you!

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:57 am

Nice wild brown that section you fished has alot of wild fish as well. Havent fished it in a while but one year that spot by the bridge the stock around Christmas time was loaded with wild brookies

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:35 am

Drossi wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:05 am
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:34 pm
Razorbacker wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:08 pm
the Drake's Brook stocking completely explains it, especially the ones Drossi and I caught along different points along Bartley Rd. I did not know Drake's was stocked. Now I have to say it- that is a STUPID plan by the State. WTH would you create a new WTS designation, with the apparent intention of fostering a "wild only" population, and then dump almost 500 stockers into a direct tributary to the WTS section?!?!? Drake's should be targeted to try and re-establish a brook trout only population.
Too many browns already in Drake's to make it brookie only. The stocked rainbows aren't the problem, the wild browns are for the native brookies.
The stocked rainbows are a problem for the lovely wild browns though...
How so? Wild browns outcompete stocked rainbows every time.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:21 pm

Razorbacker wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:08 pm
the Drake's Brook stocking completely explains it, especially the ones Drossi and I caught along different points along Bartley Rd. I did not know Drake's was stocked. Now I have to say it- that is a STUPID plan by the State. WTH would you create a new WTS designation, with the apparent intention of fostering a "wild only" population, and then dump almost 500 stockers into a direct tributary to the WTS section?!?!? Drake's should be targeted to try and re-establish a brook trout only population.
They do it in Spruce Run Creek also...I have caught wild brookies and browns in that creek, yet the state throws hundreds of rainbows in yearly....There definitely aren't as many wild fish as 15 years ago...Few and far between. I think many factors contributed. I would consider the biomass of a stream before stocking it. Are there enough enough bugs and baitfish to feed all the trout? Granted most of the stockies are only in there a few days or weeks. But the wild brookies I caught there are what the division wants no? Then why do they stock it?

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:44 pm

Spruce run creek gets a lot if fishing pressure so I'm okay with the stocked rainbows.

Also the creek took a big impact from the quarry spill

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:11 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:35 am

How so? Wild browns outcompete stocked rainbows every time.
Its still extra competition they wouldn't have if the rainbows weren't stocked but if it really isn't a material difference than who cares.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:01 pm

troutfishing4life wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:44 pm
Spruce run creek gets a lot if fishing pressure so I'm okay with the stocked rainbows.

The quarry spill ,while a big deal, only affected the last part of the stream before the reservoir. There is plenty of SRC that sees zero pressure all year. I live on it and grew up fishing it...rarely does anyone venture upstream of Glen Gardner, especially the stringer mobs...the folks I come across upstream are C&R fly fishermen....remember native Brookies live there and that is the divisions focus now....hell most people can't even find access points above GG.

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:19 pm

lightenup wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:01 pm
troutfishing4life wrote:

The quarry spill ,while a big deal, only affected the last part of the stream before the reservoir. There is plenty of SRC that sees zero pressure all year. I live on it and grew up fishing it...rarely does anyone venture upstream of Glen Gardner, especially the stringer mobs...the folks I come across upstream are C&R fly fishermen....remember native Brookies live there and that is the divisions focus now....hell most people can't even find access points above GG.
While the quarry spill didnt help the lower portion, i dont think its the only reason .....The drastic lowering of the reservoir for multiple yrs in a row had a larger impact, imo..with the reservoir at full pool the fish could move freely from the lake to the river and vice versa depending on conditions and time of yr....they cut off that highway fer quite a few yrs and this is the result ....

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:22 pm

lightenup wrote:
troutfishing4life wrote:

My biggest issue with stocking ANY rainbows in water that has any kind of decent wild/native population is exactly that- the "stringer mobs". The PowerBait and worm crowd that don't the difference between a stocked rainbow and a wild brown, or native brookie for that matter and will indiscriminately keep anything.

Case in point... on my recent trip up to the North Woods, one of our guys who is kind of new to the outdoors was upstream from me one day yelled "I caught a keeper brook trout..." Awesome, I thought... appetizer before main course for dinner. Back at the cabin at the end of the day, I call for the fish caught earlier so I can clean them, and he produces a 12" fallfish.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:43 pm

Fishybig wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:19 pm
lightenup wrote:
troutfishing4life wrote:

While the quarry spill didnt help the lower portion, i dont think its the only reason .....The drastic lowering of the reservoir for multiple yrs in a row had a larger impact, imo..with the reservoir at full pool the fish could move freely from the lake to the river and vice versa depending on conditions and time of yr....they cut off that highway fer quite a few yrs and this is the result ....
While I agree with that, I have also seen those brown trout from the reservoir holding in pools in SRC while the reservoir was low. Not in a few years, and I also don't cast at them as they are doing their business, but nice to watch...Those fish can swim through water shallower than their bodies if they need to, and they have. Video evidence is on the interwebs if you care to look. Not from SRC but other locations. Trout are amazing.