School Me on Sucker Spawn Flies

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Luke_M310

School Me on Sucker Spawn Flies

Post by Luke_M310 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:15 am

Been seeing a lot of posts lately on Facebook, etc. of good sized trout being caught on sucker spawn flies. I'm not familiar at all with this type of fly, I guess it's an egg pattern? I've never fished anything resembling an egg pattern, so I'm looking for a general education on how to use them.

Looks like sucker spawn patterns in particular are offered in all types of colors (white, orange, green, red, pink, and more), beadhead and non-beadhead variations, and in sizes from 8 all the way up to 16 or 18.

Any recommendations on size and colors for trout?

Do they work all year round, or only at certain times?

Do they pair particularly well with any other type of fly under an indicator?

Should they be fished as close to the bottom as possible, or do they fish better suspended somewhere higher in the water?

Sorry for all the questions, appreciate any info you guys can offer, thanks!

barkeater

Re: School Me on Sucker Spawn Flies

Post by barkeater » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:12 am

I tie them on size 16-14 hooks. You can use any type of hook. Different people use different colors (surprise). I prefer glo-bug egg color and add an orange hot spot. You do want to weight them to be able to fish them near the bottom. I usually use a tandem rig with a weighted nymph up front (Frenchie) in the fall then switch to the suckerpawn as my point fly with a trailer midge starting about this time of year. I use them from the fall after all hatches are done until I switch over too little black stones in March. Have fun.

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:30 am

All around great fly!

Can be used all year just like egg patterns. Caught one of my biggest trout on one in July in the Little Lehigh in PA 25+inch rainbow

sizes I would fish with for trout in the NJ area probably 14 or 16

cappy

Post by cappy » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:45 am

12 to 16 scud hooks with a cream colored yarn. Real sucker spawn is not a bright color.
If your looking to fish the actual spawn as a "hatch" February into March is when they spawn in the northeast streams. They spawn in riffles and trout will setup down stream to feed on loose spawn.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:24 pm

Might as well fish with salmon eggs or even better beads... :( ;)