Monmouth county spot burners needed

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Bubba Zinetti

Monmouth county spot burners needed

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:33 pm

Greetings fellow anglers, your old pal Bubba Zinetti here. For the last few years I have been trying to fish in a few streams in Monmouth county without much success. We (my wife and I) have tried these spots usually in late spring around June, and have had no success. Nothing. I have tried every fly in the box, streamers, dries, wets, nymphs, and I have tried throwing rocks in the deeper holes out of frustration. We do drive to PA, or the western part of NJ to fish, but that cannot be a regular trip because of other weekend obligations. These spots are ~15 to 30 minutes from door to streamside. Which is nice. Now if we could only catch fish.

I AM NOT TRYING TO BURN ANY SPOTS. All of the places are listed here: https://www.njfishandwildlife.com/accesscnty.htm That and google maps led me to the spots in the first place. Can anyone who fishes in streams in Monmouth county help a guy out and give me some info on what you use to actually catch fish ?

If you like, pm me with the info.
Thanks!

BillSmith

Re: Monmouth county spot burners needed

Post by BillSmith » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:12 pm

I just moved to near Toms River, won't even bother with these red cedar water creeks for trout. I pass the Toms river TCA every day on my way to work, looked at it once, I'd rather fish the Raritan river. Instead go surf fishing, or hit the back bays.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:30 pm

The listed trout stocked waters are all seasonal, meaning trout are basically all dead by June 1st most years. I'm sure if you hit the stocking locations on some of the two or three streams in Monmouth County that are trout stocked in April or May, you'd catch some fish. Otherwise you're stuck with the Muddysquan.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

martalus

Post by martalus » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:42 pm

No TP water but some TM water so maybe you can find some holdovers on the hockhocskon. No idea if that plays out in reality as i have never fished it. I remember reading a NJ fishing book from the 80s and it mentioned it was a decent place to catch trout.

https://www.jstu.org/index.php/conserva ... ean-county

barkeater

Post by barkeater » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:34 pm

I live a half mile from the Manasquan. I have in the past fished it with some success using nymphs during stocking. Think "flash and trash". As has been said it is a big muddy and the fish will be all stocked. I did catch one holdover brown years ago when they stocked them, but most fish die off during the summer. Really the only time worth fishing it is during stocking. You can be elbow to elbow with the bait guys. Try non stocking days and later in the spring. The Toms I've also fished at the TCA. Very tight quarters and lots of ticks. You can do ok here nymphing. Bring your shortest rod as most casts will be 15 feet or less. Having said all this, I fish the South Branch and Musky as the fishing is worth the added travel time.

Bubba Zinetti

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:10 pm

I have fished the Toms many times. I do best there with streamers and wets. I either cast or let then drift downstream, then strip back through the "fishy" spots. Thanks to everyone for the tips, I figured that it was possible that all of the fish were gone by June, but I thought it unlikely. There can't be that many people who fish Yellow Brook?

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:54 pm

manasquan river near hospital rd would be your best bet imo
Was known as Troutman1

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:26 pm

Change your desired species , that makes things alot easier .
You live in an apple orchard and your looking for oranges .

Bubba Zinetti

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:51 am

Jaybird wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:26 pm
Change your desired species , that makes things alot easier .
You live in an apple orchard and your looking for oranges .
We live within walking distance of Garveys pond, and throughout the summer walk there on weekends to fish for pumpkin seed, and the occasional bass. We prefer to fish streams for trout.

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:10 am

I have fished most of the Monmouth Cointy streams once or twice and never went back. The Hock is very shallow and parking is very difficult. Yellow Brook is not much more than a trickle. There are a couple of ponds if that interests you. Holmdel Park, Spring Lake and Mohawk in Red BAnk. Wouldnt recommend Gsrveys Pond. Not much in Monmouth County is why I fish the Toms but even that is not what it used to be. I wont fish the Muddy Squan any more either.

martalus

Post by martalus » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:44 am

It sounds like the recommendation is to move to more favorable trout habitat or switch to other species!

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:50 am

I live in Monmouth County and travel to fish....the Manasquan, Hockhocksen, Shark River, all are mud streams and get really warm by mid-May. PLUS most of the bait guys go there and take 99% of the fish they catch out of these streams. Makes sense since the water temps will kill them anyway.

If you really want to fish in the area, go to Allaire State park and fish the Manasquan there. Most people fish from the park to the golf course. IF you did go there, head upstream instead as there are deeper pockets and a lot of log lay downs.

DM me if you need more detail.