A conversation with the new Chief of Freshwater Fisheries regarding spring stocking

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Rusty Spinner

A conversation with the new Chief of Freshwater Fisheries regarding spring stocking

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:02 am

Shawn Crouse and I had the chance to catch up on all things NJ trout, and the topic of spring stocking came up. The Division decided to revert back to the traditional stocking routine this spring without use of volunteer stockers in the WCC program in an effort to put the pandemic behind us and to return to normalcy. However, they recognize that many trout anglers liked certain things that were done the last two years due to Covid, whereas others prefer to revert back to the old ways we knew until the pandemic hit two years ago now. So at some point likely this year, trout anglers will receive a survey via something like Survey Monkey to gather info and data on what trout anglers want to see related to stocking going forward beyond this year. I applaud that survey and look forward to seeing it sent out for feedback.

Once it is released, I will make sure we post it here in case there are some without a registered email with the Division (not sure if that can be the case or not).
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

cappy

Re: A conversation with the new Chief of Freshwater Fisheries regarding spring stocking

Post by cappy » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:54 am

Good to hear thank you. Looking forward to it, hopefully it has a free form comments field we can populate along with the survey questions.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Troutman

Re: A conversation with the new Chief of Freshwater Fisheries regarding spring stocking

Post by Troutman » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:05 pm

Nice........ @ least they sound like they consider out opinion :lol:

GREAT to go back to the old stocking schedule. Spreads out the fish to be caught thru out late Spring & less mortality from the early attempt of C&R.
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:15 pm

Troutman wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:05 pm

GREAT to go back to the old stocking schedule. Spreads out the fish to be caught thru out late Spring & less mortality from the early attempt of C&R.
I would strongly disagree with that first part, although the second part is true enough in places. By placing a smaller amount of trout in bridge holes weekly means they all more or less stay in that hole until they get yanked out and stuck on a stringer. Dumping in a ton at once means a lack of habitat and the need for many fish to move out on their own to find less crowded habitat. It also eliminated the need to float stock or to bucket stock using volunteers which is difficult to manage for Division personnel as well as for the volunteer coordinators helping on certain rivers. Easy enough to change regs for the pre season to minimize mortality during the C&R periods we had.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:01 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:15 pm
Troutman wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:05 pm

I would strongly disagree with that first part, although the second part is true enough in places. By placing a smaller amount of trout in bridge holes weekly means they all more or less stay in that hole until they get yanked out and stuck on a stringer. Dumping in a ton at once means a lack of habitat and the need for many fish to move out on their own to find less crowded habitat. It also eliminated the need to float stock or to bucket stock using volunteers which is difficult to manage for Division personnel as well as for the volunteer coordinators helping on certain rivers. Easy enough to change regs for the pre season to minimize mortality during the C&R periods we had.
When I was a young lad. Trout stocking for me was. Any trout rivers that was stocked that day. Was closed until 5pm. This gave the working guy enough time to get to the river. Most times the stocking truck just didnt dump fish just off the bridges. they actually went thru out the river to stock. So it gave the fish opportunity for survival also. In fact a few of the ole timers used to stock them in obscure places to make it more challenging to us :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Dave B.

Post by Dave B. » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:39 pm

There will be one minor deviation from the 'usual' spring stocking schedule. In an effort to head off any potential staffing shortage issues due to illness that might possibly arise during the stocking period that would adversely impact getting the fish from the hatchery into the waters, an additional 70,000 trout will be distributed statewide during the pre-season stocking period on top of the traditional 180+ thousand that would normally go out.

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:39 am

Dave B. wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:39 pm
There will be one minor deviation from the 'usual' spring stocking schedule. In an effort to head off any potential staffing shortage issues due to illness that might possibly arise during the stocking period that would adversely impact getting the fish from the hatchery into the waters, an additional 70,000 trout will be distributed statewide during the pre-season stocking period on top of the traditional 180+ thousand that would normally go out.
Good, now we have to hope for heavy rain and high water during the preseason closed waters to spread them out.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:54 pm

Drossi wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:39 am
Dave B. wrote:
Good, now we have to hope for heavy rain and high water during the preseason closed waters to spread them out.
I pray for this each and every yr during stocking periods....a few times in the last ten yrs conditions for optimal spread was good and made for a nice prolonged period of lots of fish almost anywhere that had decent holding water...could always start the rain dance early?🤔

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:01 pm

Fishybig wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:54 pm
Drossi wrote:
Dave B. wrote:
I pray for this each and every yr during stocking periods....a few times in the last ten yrs conditions for optimal spread was good and made for a nice prolonged period of lots of fish almost anywhere that had decent holding water...could always start the rain dance early?🤔
My point about the big dumps of the last two springs is that dispersion was easily accomplished and fishing was far better, far longer into the season because of that fact. And no big rains needed.

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:33 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:01 pm
Fishybig wrote:
Drossi wrote:

My point about the big dumps of the last two springs is that dispersion was easily accomplished and fishing was far better, far longer into the season because of that fact. And no big rains needed.
There used to be more than a few people who would follow the trucks then strategically wade through the bridge pools in attempts to scare some of the stockies out of there. :o Don't know how well that works though.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:02 pm

Dave B. wrote:
This is a great idea and way to do!

Dave B.

Post by Dave B. » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:06 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:01 pm
Fishybig wrote:
Drossi wrote:

I would definitely agree with this statement. Further, it was my experience that the majority of the fish that moved away from the stocking areas seemed to be the larger of the average stocky size mix. Anyone else notice this where you fished?

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:58 am

I would definitely agree with this statement. Further, it was my experience that the majority of the fish that moved away from the stocking areas seemed to be the larger of the average stocky size mix. Anyone else notice this where you fished?
[/quote]

I did see this especially in fast water

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:47 pm

Dave B. wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:06 pm
Further, it was my experience that the majority of the fish that moved away from the stocking areas seemed to be the larger of the average stocky size mix. Anyone else notice this where you fished?
yes definitely. Your quality if fish will be greater then the average stockers imo. This is why I fish further down stream away from the crowds ;)
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:52 pm

troutfishing4life wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:58 am

I did see this especially in fast water
[/quote]

yep.... bigger fish hate to hand around half pints..... :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:01 pm

Posts like this are a good way to show the Division biologists and others in the regulations making business how anglers feel. I happen to know many sites, including this site, are routinely "trolled" but in a good way by Division staff as well as Council members. They need to hear from all sides of the trout angling community, and this is a good place to be heard. Some will like the old way with no changes, some will like the last two years to stay as the new norm, and others will like some things but not others from both camps. I personally feel they can make some changes that the majority will applaud without upsetting the apple cart as the old saying goes. If we were to do a C&R season instead of the pre-season stocking closure, then perhaps gear restrictions like no bait or even no trebles (although I don't think that's got backing) or the like could help mortality in those early 2-3 weeks before the traditional opener begins. But I must say the big dumps were far more appealing to me because the bridge hole anglers were happy and so were those that like to wander..... and C&R continues to grow with more anglers in support of catching a fish more than once.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:09 pm

Id be all in for big dumps & pre-season C&R as long it doesnt kill the fish from improper release from hooks & such. @ least get them near the summer before the heat kills them
Was known as Troutman1

cappy

Post by cappy » Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:51 am

Covid stocking was fine, however preseason C&R should be artificial or fly, single barbless hook, and that includes lures for spin fishermen.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:36 am

cappy wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:51 am
Covid stocking was fine, however preseason C&R should be artificial or fly, single barbless hook, and that includes lures for spin fishermen.
I agree. Hire a few more C.O.s and write tickets to all the treble gook users...think of how much money the division can make. 🙃😉🤪

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:10 pm

lightenup wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:36 am
I agree. Hire a few more C.O.s and write tickets to all the treble gook users... 🙃😉🤪
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1