Pequest TCA

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
troutfishing4life

Pequest TCA

Post by troutfishing4life » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:37 pm

Any one here fish the river on the regular?

I have noticed over the last year that the amount of fish up stream of the bridge going towards the hatchery has gone down alot. In the past when fishing by the spill way the trout would be literally at your feet but the last year I have noticed a real lack of fish. I was there last Tuesday and didn't even have a hit and when wading through the stream didn't push any fish also very rare for that area. I did get 1 small rainbow downstream of the bridge.

Any one else notice this change?

Fishybig

Re: Pequest TCA

Post by Fishybig » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:43 pm

Sounds like progress...😜

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:21 pm

troutfishing4life wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:37 pm
Any one here fish the river on the regular?

I have noticed over the last year that the amount of fish up stream of the bridge going towards the hatchery has gone down alot. In the past when fishing by the spill way the trout would be literally at your feet but the last year I have noticed a real lack of fish. I was there last Tuesday and didn't even have a hit and when wading through the stream didn't push any fish also very rare for that area. I did get 1 small rainbow downstream of the bridge.

Any one else notice this change?
I fish it periodically,

My observation has been the same as yours :cry: . I think its due to the fact of silt & sand build up making it shallower. Also the structures has changed somewhat. There used to be some nice riffles about 10 ft before the discharged that always produced. But It hasnt the last 3 times I fished that area. The better area is water on the right side of the small island. But its pretty hard to swing the fly rod with the over hanging branches
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:05 am

Covid has brought out more anglers than ever before. The Pequest TCA is not 100' long, despite what 99.99% of all anglers believe. Head downstream a half mile. You can thank me later. 8-)
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:10 am

I only fished there when I had a Jones and it was too hot anywhere else. I did notice this last time I went a couple years ago..haven't been back.

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:01 pm

Fishybig wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:43 pm
Sounds like progress...😜
Good answer......................................... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:03 pm

I fish it periodically,

My observation has been the same as yours :cry: . I think its due to the fact of silt & sand build up making it shallower. Also the structures has changed somewhat. There used to be some nice riffles about 10 ft before the discharged that always produced. But It hasnt the last 3 times I fished that area. The better area is water on the right side of the small island. But its pretty hard to swing the fly rod with the over hanging branches
[/quote]

Troutman -
I did notice all the silt and sand in there so that probably playing a factor in it as well and the fishing pressure it gets is just unreal as well.
Also last year and from what I heard this year when they stock the trout they are just dumping them off the bridge. Most rainbows tend to go down stream

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:39 pm

troutfishing4life wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:03 pm
I fish it periodically,

Troutman -
I did notice all the silt and sand in there so that probably playing a factor in it as well and the fishing pressure it gets is just unreal as well.
Also last year and from what I heard this year when they stock the trout they are just dumping them off the bridge. Most rainbows tend to go down stream
[/quote]

Trout have always been able to swim in and out of Pequest's hatchery outflow. So it's not a matter of them stocking the bridges only. My best guess is just a ton more pressure as if that was even possible at the hatchery outflow. The effluent of fish waste and food waster creates prolific midge hatches along river left where the concrete raceway enters the "Pequod". I haven't been to that exact spot in many years, so I would have to see it today to better know the issues.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:48 pm

troutfishing4life wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:01 pm
Fishybig wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:43 pm
Sounds like progress...😜
Good answer......................................... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:50 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:05 am
Covid has brought out more anglers than ever before. The Pequest TCA is not 100' long, despite what 99.99% of all anglers believe. Head downstream a half mile. You can thank me later. 8-)
Thats a GREAT AREA .......... I usually park on the shoulder & walk thru the jungle ;)
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:53 pm

troutfishing4life wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:03 pm
I fish it periodically,

Troutman -
[/quote]

Ive caught many right under that bridge when the water was low. Its a nice stretch of water 50ft down from the bridge also
Was known as Troutman1

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:15 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Head downstream a half mile. You can thank me later. 8-)
Last time I did that I got into fish (stocked browns, that's how long it's been), I also had a big azzed bear wander into the river 50 yards below me. I made a lot of noise and high tailed it in the opposite direction, except I tripped over a log, landed on some rocks, broke a fly box, and a rib.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:06 am

Drossi wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:15 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Last time I did that I got into fish (stocked browns, that's how long it's been), I also had a big azzed bear wander into the river 50 yards below me. I made a lot of noise and high tailed it in the opposite direction, except I tripped over a log, landed on some rocks, broke a fly box, and a rib.
Ouch!!! Never, and I mean NEVER run from a bear of any species. That indicates to them that you are prey attempting to flee. A bit late obviously. Sorry to hear about the rib and fly box. Black bears will back down 100% of the time, regardless of their size if you stand your ground. I have lived in bear country since seeing my first in my neighborhood in West Milford back in 1973 when I was the ripe old age of 8. I can't count the number of close encounters I've had with black bears. None was ever scary including a rather old bear on his way down that clearly didn't care I was standing in "his trail". My worst encounters are when dragging out deer one of us has killed and keeping the bears at bay while getting it out of the woods. They often bluff charge in an attempt to get you to drop your deer so they can run in and grab it and carry it off to eat. Just stand your ground and talk authoritatively to said bear and watch them change their behavior.

martalus

Post by martalus » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:50 pm

Black bears sound similar to the Russian bear. They talk tough, but stand your ground, punch it hard in the nose, and it will eventually back down.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:00 pm

martalus wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:50 pm
Black bears sound similar to the Russian bear. They talk tough, but stand your ground, punch it hard in the nose, and it will eventually back down.
But do they fish shirtless for pikes?

redietz

Post by redietz » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:11 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:00 pm
But do they fish shirtless for pikes?
I've never seen one wearing a shirt while fishing.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:13 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:06 am
Drossi wrote:
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Ouch!!! Never, and I mean NEVER run from a bear of any species. That indicates to them that you are prey attempting to flee. A bit late obviously. Sorry to hear about the rib and fly box. Black bears will back down 100% of the time, regardless of their size if you stand your ground. I have lived in bear country since seeing my first in my neighborhood in West Milford back in 1973 when I was the ripe old age of 8. I can't count the number of close encounters I've had with black bears. None was ever scary including a rather old bear on his way down that clearly didn't care I was standing in "his trail". My worst encounters are when dragging out deer one of us has killed and keeping the bears at bay while getting it out of the woods. They often bluff charge in an attempt to get you to drop your deer so they can run in and grab it and carry it off to eat. Just stand your ground and talk authoritatively to said bear and watch them change their behavior.
Tell that to the Indian kid and his family. Sure he taunted the bear, but eventually it didn't back down and ate him. Granted only killing ever in NJ from a black bear, but they are getting daring and over populated. Black bears will not back down 100% of the time even if you stand your ground. If there are cubs involved, hope you can run faster than your friends, 'cause someone is gettin' ate. :D
reminds me of a guide trip I took in Alaska.
The guide gave us a little bell to wear and pepper spray, then taught us about bear scat.
He said, black bear scat usually has berries and nuts in it..
while Grizzly scat has a little bell and smells like pepper spray. :D
Granted a black bear isn't as aggressive as a Grizzly but can still easily kill you and nothing to play games with...Rusty has been lucky so far.;)
Have them by my house as well. Two dogs, 90 pounds and 50 pounds, ferocious sounding. The bears ain't scared and do what they want. I try to keep the dogs in when they are around. Thank god I have a fence.
Rusty, don't get your panties in a bunch, look at all the smiley faces. Just sayin' 100% of the time is a dangerous thing to say ...“Never get involved in a land war in Asia,” but only slightly less well known is this: “Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!” or a bear.

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:05 pm

50617.gif
50617.gif (888 KiB) Viewed 8049 times

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:48 am

lightenup wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:13 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Drossi wrote:

Tell that to the Indian kid and his family. Sure he taunted the bear, but eventually it didn't back down and ate him. Granted only killing ever in NJ from a black bear, but they are getting daring and over populated. Black bears will not back down 100% of the time even if you stand your ground. If there are cubs involved, hope you can run faster than your friends, 'cause someone is gettin' ate. :D
The guide gave us a little bell to wear and pepper spray, then taught us about bear scat.
Granted a black bear isn't as aggressive as a Grizzly but can still easily kill you and nothing to play games with...Rusty has been lucky so far.;)
Have them by my house as well. Two dogs, 90 pounds and 50 pounds, ferocious sounding. The bears ain't scared and do what they want. I try to keep the dogs in when they are around. Thank god I have a fence.
Rusty, don't get your panties in a bunch, look at all the smiley faces. Just sayin' 100% of the time is a dangerous thing to say ...“Never get involved in a land war in Asia,” but only slightly less well known is this: “Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!” or a bear.
Darsh Patel was killed by a black bear in West Milford because he ran and did not stand his ground. He also had granola bars on him in his backpack. Lastly, he was warned by my old neighbors there was an aggressive bear on the trail and that they should turn around. Wanting to see a bear that day, they didn't heed the advice. They found the bear, panicked as it approached them, split into two groups of two and one "group" of one (Darsh) and ran. Those were their mistakes that day. I have backed down a sow with cubs 3 different times. Yes, they worry me more than a lone boar or lone sow, but I still understand what they are doing and why and how to stay out of trouble. Mom will always tree her cubs first before turning her attention to whatever danger she fears which is usually a large boar trying to mate with her and kill her cubs to do so.

Grizzly bears are a very different animal than are black bears. You wouldn't want to even encounter a sow with cubs at a distance let alone in close. But we only have those in zoos here.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:10 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:48 am
lightenup wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:13 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:

Darsh Patel was killed by a black bear in West Milford because he ran and did not stand his ground. He also had granola bars on him in his backpack. Lastly, he was warned by my old neighbors there was an aggressive bear on the trail and that they should turn around. Wanting to see a bear that day, they didn't heed the advice. They found the bear, panicked as it approached them, split into two groups of two and one "group" of one (Darsh) and ran. Those were their mistakes that day. I have backed down a sow with cubs 3 different times. Yes, they worry me more than a lone boar or lone sow, but I still understand what they are doing and why and how to stay out of trouble. Mom will always tree her cubs first before turning her attention to whatever danger she fears which is usually a large boar trying to mate with her and kill her cubs to do so.

Grizzly bears are a very different animal than are black bears. You wouldn't want to even encounter a sow with cubs at a distance let alone in close. But we only have those in zoos here.
Ok, Mr. Treadwell ;) :D :D :D :D