Pequest TCA

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Drossi

Re: Pequest TCA

Post by Drossi » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:00 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:06 am
Drossi wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:15 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:05 am
Head downstream a half mile. You can thank me later. 8-)
Last time I did that I got into fish (stocked browns, that's how long it's been), I also had a big azzed bear wander into the river 50 yards below me. I made a lot of noise and high tailed it in the opposite direction, except I tripped over a log, landed on some rocks, broke a fly box, and a rib.
Ouch!!! Never, and I mean NEVER run from a bear of any species. That indicates to them that you are prey attempting to flee. A bit late obviously. Sorry to hear about the rib and fly box. Black bears will back down 100% of the time, regardless of their size if you stand your ground. I have lived in bear country since seeing my first in my neighborhood in West Milford back in 1973 when I was the ripe old age of 8. I can't count the number of close encounters I've had with black bears. None was ever scary including a rather old bear on his way down that clearly didn't care I was standing in "his trail". My worst encounters are when dragging out deer one of us has killed and keeping the bears at bay while getting it out of the woods. They often bluff charge in an attempt to get you to drop your deer so they can run in and grab it and carry it off to eat. Just stand your ground and talk authoritatively to said bear and watch them change their behavior.
I was too vague, by high tailed it I meant I reeled up, waded out, then walked away instead of keep fishing. The fall was because I was spooked and not paying attention to the log on the ground.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane