who's fishing opening day ?

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Troutman

Re: who's fishing opening day ?

Post by Troutman » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:15 pm

Vance wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:02 pm
The Ramapo as of 7:45 PM is ripping at 1690 cfs. Will have to wait a few days before it will get down enough to fish and wade. The best is from 250cfs down to 150cfs. Flatbrook is still over 1000 cfs and the best is 200 cfs or lower. If you are going to wade be darn careful. Bill the mailman
thats really ripping for the ramapo for sure. there a few slower moving breaks they would hold @. but wading to get to them would be hard thou. Ramapo is 1 of my home waters. Its not the flatbrook or the musky. But sure is convenient to travel to
Was known as Troutman1

Vance

Post by Vance » Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:40 am

Hey Troutman, I was born and raised in Ridgewood. I started fishing the Ramapo back in 54 when I got my drivers license. I still fish it when we watch my daughters dogs. She lives in Saddle River right on the Allendale border. I will be up there today for a week. Watching the dogs and I just might bring up my rods so if the water really goes down by We’d. or maybe Friday I will try my luck. A few years ago second week in May around 7:00PM hit an Grayfox hatch that was out of this world. Only one fishing at the Glen Gray bridge area and had a ball. Have not seen a hatch like that again. Bill the mailman. Bill Vance

cappy

Post by cappy » Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:45 am

Troutman wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:11 pm
lightenup wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:25 pm
I pass streams driving to work, saw a lot of empty stringers walking around. :D
There are definitely places on rivers that you can catch fish. But that will take skills like reading the water to know where they will be hanging out at. Most of the opening day warriors will have no clue thou :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
When streams are at current flows I don't care how good of a stream fisherman someone may be, it's to dangerous to attempt wading. Weekend warriors should stick to lakes.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

kennyp2339

Post by kennyp2339 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:29 am

Drove through Berkshire Valley Rd in Jefferson and saw the Rockaway, had to distinguish the river to the swamp area in a few large sections, this will take time to drain down. Checked the Wawayanda creek in Vernon, running out of its banks in a few slow sections, this will take even longer to drain since the floodplain is pretty level to the banks, Wallkill is prob ripping from Franklin Pond to Ames rubber in Hamburg, lots of debris in that water from previous storms and dead tree's along the banks.
The good news is that the weather seems to have stabilized and this up coming week we should see temps in the 60's to almost 70, water temps should start to rise a little and hopefully things drain quicker then later. Good luck everyone and remember, up in the NNJ area's we have a lot of rock and clay soil which is very slippery when bank fishing.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:55 pm

cappy wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:45 am
Troutman wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:11 pm
lightenup wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:25 pm
I pass streams driving to work, saw a lot of empty stringers walking around. :D
There are definitely places on rivers that you can catch fish. But that will take skills like reading the water to know where they will be hanging out at. Most of the opening day warriors will have no clue thou :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
When streams are at current flows I don't care how good of a stream fisherman someone may be, it's to dangerous to attempt wading. Weekend warriors should stick to lakes.
I agree for the most part. There are a few places on the river that you can bank fish if you had to in the Oakland area in high water. Lakes & ponds are the best bet if you have access to them for sure. Im waiting to @ least the Wednesday to even attempt to river fish
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:19 pm

Vance wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:40 am
Hey Troutman, I was born and raised in Ridgewood. I started fishing the Ramapo back in 54 when I got my drivers license. I still fish it when we watch my daughters dogs. She lives in Saddle River right on the Allendale border. I will be up there today for a week. Watching the dogs and I just might bring up my rods so if the water really goes down by We’d. or maybe Friday I will try my luck. A few years ago second week in May around 7:00PM hit an Grayfox hatch that was out of this world. Only one fishing at the Glen Gray bridge area and had a ball. Have not seen a hatch like that again. Bill the mailman. Bill Vance
You definitely got me beat Vance. Ive been fishing that river around 1973 when I was a kid. My dad & I used to fish up there all the time. Remember all the original bridge that crossed over that river. remembered that old dam in oakland & the bait shop. I was rite on the river that also used to rent the boats. that really used to be a productive area
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:22 pm

kennyp2339 wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:29 am
Drove through Berkshire Valley Rd in Jefferson and saw the Rockaway, had to distinguish the river to the swamp area in a few large sections, this will take time to drain down. Checked the Wawayanda creek in Vernon, running out of its banks in a few slow sections, this will take even longer to drain since the floodplain is pretty level to the banks, Wallkill is prob ripping from Franklin Pond to Ames rubber in Hamburg, lots of debris in that water from previous storms and dead tree's along the banks.
The good news is that the weather seems to have stabilized and this up coming week we should see temps in the 60's to almost 70, water temps should start to rise a little and hopefully things drain quicker then later. Good luck everyone and remember, up in the NNJ area's we have a lot of rock and clay soil which is very slippery when bank fishing.
That part of the rockaway is a productive area to fish. heavily stocked by the dam and 100ft downstream. my friend told me that when he passed along that area today. It was blown out big time. Looked like the Delaware river the way it was flowing :lol:
Was known as Troutman1