Come hell or high water

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Drossi

Come hell or high water

Post by Drossi » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:50 am

Well there was plenty of high water on Saturday but I found a WTS running clear. 3 wild browns before I got rained on but a good opener none the less.
Opening Day 4-9 (4).jpg
Opening Day 4-9 (4).jpg (116.33 KiB) Viewed 3199 times
Opening Day 4-9 (3).jpg
Opening Day 4-9 (3).jpg (141.42 KiB) Viewed 3199 times
Opening Day 4-9 (2).jpg
Opening Day 4-9 (2).jpg (140.44 KiB) Viewed 3199 times
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Rusty Spinner

Re: Come hell or high water

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:52 am

Nice! We cancelled our RVTU opening day shenanigans event on the Musky for obvious reasons and planted native willow and dogwood cuttings instead on recently restored Lopatcong Creek. I was surprised how quickly the Lopat had fallen by Saturday morning when I arrived. It would have been very fishable if I had a rod and reel with me.....
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:31 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:52 am
Nice! We cancelled our RVTU opening day shenanigans event on the Musky for obvious reasons and planted native willow and dogwood cuttings instead on recently restored Lopatcong Creek. I was surprised how quickly the Lopat had fallen by Saturday morning when I arrived. It would have been very fishable if I had a rod and reel with me.....
The Musky was roaring, drove along it Saturday afternoon when I went out to get wine in Finesville. The big D was over it's banks as well, high water is gumming up the shad season.
You're NOT worthy
slingin' cane

martalus

Post by martalus » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:09 pm

@Rusty-how can you travel this time of year without at least rod on the car??

@Drossi-tell me about it...this weekend the Potomac was high and muddy as well. The high water wasnt the main problem-the turbidity prevented me from seeing the good spots to cast and prevented the shad from seeing my offerings. There were some folks that were using cast nets for white perch that were also catching many shad so I know the fish are there....The cold water temps also are a factor as they are less likely to strike in colder water. Nice browns by the way-the first ones head looks big compared to its body-perhaps it has outgrown its habitat?

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:03 pm

martalus wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:09 pm
Nice browns by the way-the first ones head looks big compared to its body-perhaps it has outgrown its habitat?
I think it was the jacked up way I took the quick photo. But I saw that, my other guess is that he needs to go on the feed and put back on some of the weight lost over the winter. I don't think habitat is too much of an issue, this stream gives up better than average 12"+ brown at least once a year for me. I was actually somewhat shocked I didn't get one this time as high water is usually the ticket.
You're NOT worthy
slingin' cane

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:35 pm

martalus wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:09 pm
@Rusty-how can you travel this time of year without at least rod on the car??

@Drossi-tell me about it...this weekend the Potomac was high and muddy as well. The high water wasnt the main problem-the turbidity prevented me from seeing the good spots to cast and prevented the shad from seeing my offerings. There were some folks that were using cast nets for white perch that were also catching many shad so I know the fish are there....The cold water temps also are a factor as they are less likely to strike in colder water. Nice browns by the way-the first ones head looks big compared to its body-perhaps it has outgrown its habitat?
I think that is all angle of the fish in the net. As in camera distortion. Looks healthy to me. But I see what you see, just think its all camera angle.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown