Hoffman's Crossing Bridge

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
lightenup

Hoffman's Crossing Bridge

Post by lightenup » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:58 pm

Everyone be aware there is a cable and large trees lined along the parking lot. I just spoke to the Lebanon township Police and it is apparently legal. I thought it was easement...Be careful as it isn't visible.

Rusty Spinner

Re: Hoffman's Crossing Bridge

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:08 pm

lightenup wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:58 pm
Everyone be aware there is a cable and large trees lined along the parking lot. I just spoke to the Lebanon township Police and it is apparently legal. I thought it was easement...Be careful as it isn't visible.
Weird they would do that since 1) they don't live there as in there is no home there and 2) they don't live across the road either but rather up on 513 in town. But they certainly have every right to keep folks off their property including to mid point of the river as shown on the tax maps.
Hoffman Bridge property owner.jpg
Hoffman Bridge property owner.jpg (327.3 KiB) Viewed 1319244 times
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:32 pm

Very interesting!!

Tough to lose that area to park!

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:41 pm

Their insurance company told them to as if someone got hurt they could sue them...Quote from Lebanon Twshp Police

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:43 pm

lightenup wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:41 pm
Their insurance company told them to as if someone got hurt they could sue them...Quote from Lebanon Twshp Police
Insurance and lawyers, made for each other.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

martalus

Post by martalus » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:53 pm

I know Bro. Ray. He used to run/own an insurance company down the road on 513.

As my father used to say, Americans have become ‘sue happy’.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:18 am

:( to hear. I used to park there once in a while when the gorge parking gets filled. Sometimes I used to wade the river down from the bridge into the gorge area.
Was known as Troutman1

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:34 am

Troutman wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:18 am
:( to hear. I used to park there once in a while when the gorge parking gets filled. Sometimes I used to wade the river down from the bridge into the gorge area.
Stay out of my secret spots :D :D

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:55 am

Let me steer Raritan Headwaters Association to see if they can get Green Acres funds to buy it and preserve it. It can't be built on anyway.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:09 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:55 am
Let me steer Raritan Headwaters Association to see if they can get Green Acres funds to buy it and preserve it. It can't be built on anyway.
Please do that...Know that I know, I will trip and fall and sue them.. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

kennyp2339

Post by kennyp2339 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:02 pm

Not faulting the property owner here, got to do what you got to do, but isnt that spot a state stocking point? and please correct me if I'm wrong, but was the state stocking points on private property brought up a few years back and basically if the state was stocking the area and no private property signs posted the property owners had indemnification since the state was essentially bringing people to the spot by stocking it and posting that it was a trout stocked area?

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:14 pm

kennyp2339 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:02 pm
Not faulting the property owner here, got to do what you got to do, but isnt that spot a state stocking point? and please correct me if I'm wrong, but was the state stocking points on private property brought up a few years back and basically if the state was stocking the area and no private property signs posted the property owners had indemnification since the state was essentially bringing people to the spot by stocking it and posting that it was a trout stocked area?
Maybe the Police don't know about that. Is it true that if there are stocking signs the property owner has no fault if some one gets hurt? If someone can prove this to me I will be more than happy to inform the Police, they were very nice.
BTW, there are private property signs up everywhere there as well now. Signed and stamped.

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:24 pm

kennyp2339 wrote:
It a major stocking point on the river

barkeater

Post by barkeater » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:41 pm

If people are worried about lawsuits, I really can't blame them for preventing parking. Now the public has lost the access from the north side road down to the handicap pool parking area and Hoffman's. There are what room for 5 cars at the northern parking area? This is touted by the state as one of the most scenic areas for walkers/hikers and the premier trout fishing stretch in the state and yet there is less and less access. I know in the past there has been talk of access from 513 through the WMA. I think it is time for the state to put some effort and money into increasing accessibility to the KLG.

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:42 pm

troutfishing4life wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:24 pm
kennyp2339 wrote:
It a major stocking point on the river
Was a major stocking point, if it's all posted up I'd assume the state will cease stocking it there. They shouldn't be stocking publicly funded fish into what's now a private access fishing spot.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:14 pm

barkeater wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:41 pm
If people are worried about lawsuits, I really can't blame them for preventing parking. Now the public has lost the access from the north side road down to the handicap pool parking area and Hoffman's. There are what room for 5 cars at the northern parking area? This is touted by the state as one of the most scenic areas for walkers/hikers and the premier trout fishing stretch in the state and yet there is less and less access. I know in the past there has been talk of access from 513 through the WMA. I think it is time for the state to put some effort and money into increasing accessibility to the KLG.
Please, bite your tongue ;). Less people the better the trout fishing and scenery. People that want will walk as there is PLENTY of parking in High Bridge. Or even set a bicycle up to carry a fly rod and ride man, ride!!!! Although, I will miss the easy access to Hoffman's, there are some good hatches there and it almost always holds fish.

kennyp2339

Post by kennyp2339 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:18 pm

[/quote]

Was a major stocking point, if it's all posted up I'd assume the state will cease stocking it there. They shouldn't be stocking publicly funded fish into what's now a private access fishing spot.
[/quote]

Totally agree, and again, if its private property and then becomes posted, we have to always respect the land owners wishes, I know if I bought a piece of property and wanted to keep people out, I would post it and hope people respected the posted sign.
Not fishing related but where I grew up we had a older neighbor that owned close to 100 acres of hill behind our houses, he always let us ride our atv's, dirt bikes and regular bikes on the property 24/7 365 because he thought it was better to let kids be kids then to deny nature, he passed away and years later the wife sold the land to another person who posted it, It hurt seeing the access go away, we never had any coin in the game, but when you visit an area very frequently it becomes apart of you and when access gets restricted you can feel violated to a point, but as I told my younger friends, just chalk it up as a good run and maybe one day when were older we'll remember the generosity of the old neighbor.

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:09 pm

kennyp2339 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:18 pm
[/quote]

Totally agree, and again, if its private property and then becomes posted, we have to always respect the land owners wishes, I know if I bought a piece of property and wanted to keep people out, I would post it and hope people respected the posted sign.
Not fishing related but where I grew up we had a older neighbor that owned close to 100 acres of hill behind our houses, he always let us ride our atv's, dirt bikes and regular bikes on the property 24/7 365 because he thought it was better to let kids be kids then to deny nature, he passed away and years later the wife sold the land to another person who posted it, It hurt seeing the access go away, we never had any coin in the game, but when you visit an area very frequently it becomes apart of you and when access gets restricted you can feel violated to a point, but as I told my younger friends, just chalk it up as a good run and maybe one day when were older we'll remember the generosity of the old neighbor.
[/quote]

My former "neighbor" owned several hundred acres in township here, a self-made multiX-millionaire who was as nice and sharing as the day was long. He gave me express permission to walk my dog through his estate-like property and fish the WTS that bordered his land in front of my house. Sadly he passed away a couple years ago and his entitled jerk of a son posted every freaking tree and fence post around their entire property. Some people get it.... some people dont. But, they own it and it's theirs to do as they pelase.

cappy

Post by cappy » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:41 pm

Sorry to hear about the loss of access. Isn't the bridge right there bordering the property. State most likely throws them off the bridge, if they didn't they will now.

Good thing I only fish the KLG in the winter months if I go.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:30 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:55 am
your a good man charlie brown........ :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Was known as Troutman1