Unnamed Brookie WTS

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Unnamed Brookie WTS

Post by BiggerThomas » Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:35 pm

My family ventured out today to a trail where my sons rode their bikes, my wife went walking, and I brought my bamboo fly rod built by Bernie Elsner. It is a beautiful two-piece seven foot three inch rod. I tied on a small white Cahill and had a blast on this unnamed wild brook trout stream that is a tributary to the Raritan.

I caught a couple of these little guys. But the best part was I didn't hear or see another person and the stream itself was beautiful in early spring. I hope you guys are getting out there as well.
Attachments
PXL_20220416_193120396.MP.jpg
PXL_20220416_193120396.MP.jpg (5.77 MiB) Viewed 28517 times
PXL_20220416_195235499.MP.jpg
PXL_20220416_195235499.MP.jpg (9.3 MiB) Viewed 28517 times
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Jaybird

Re: Unnamed Brookie WTS

Post by Jaybird » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:58 pm

Cool

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:16 am

niceeeeee
Was known as Troutman1

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:04 pm

A funny thing happened on my way back to the parking lot. Three young African Americans were walking towards me. One was wearing an Easy E t shirt. Now depending on when you grew up, you may or may not recognize that name. If you don't know, Easy E was known as The Godfather of gangsta rap. He died of AIDS in 1995.

Anyway, I said to the one kid, "You know, I'm a fan of Easy E too. I guess you wouldn't have guessed that by looking at me." (I'm a 46 y/o nerdy looking white dude). We all had a good laugh. I told them, "See, there's hope yet for commonality and peace. Enjoy your hike."

Now if it all were that easy.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:33 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:04 pm
A funny thing happened on my way back to the parking lot. Three young African Americans were walking towards me. One was wearing an Easy E t shirt. Now depending on when you grew up, you may or may not recognize that name. If you don't know, Easy E was known as The Godfather of gangsta rap. He died of AIDS in 1995.

Anyway, I said to the one kid, "You know, I'm a fan of Easy E too. I guess you wouldn't have guessed that by looking at me." (I'm a 46 y/o nerdy looking white dude). We all had a good laugh. I told them, "See, there's hope yet for commonality and peace. Enjoy your hike."

member of NWA. used to listen to their music when I was a kid ;)
Was known as Troutman1

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:05 am

BiggerThomas wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:04 pm

The Boyz in the Hood are always hard...

I throw it in the gutter and go buy another
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:08 am

Sweet stream. Very sweet stick, love the darker cane. What taper and weight is the Elser? I have a 7' 3" Recker done on a Garrison 204e taper that fishes a 4wt, my small stream rod as well.
You're NOT worthy
slingin' cane

BiggerThomas

Post by BiggerThomas » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:24 pm

Drossi wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:08 am
Sweet stream. Very sweet stick, love the darker cane. What taper and weight is the Elser? I have a 7' 3" Recker done on a Garrison 204e taper that fishes a 4wt, my small stream rod as well.
The taper is a Payne 98 which the builder tweaked just a little. It's a 4 wt.

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:40 am

BiggerThomas wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:24 pm
Drossi wrote:
Very nice.
You're NOT worthy
slingin' cane

rollcast

Post by rollcast » Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:50 pm

Drossi wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:40 am
BiggerThomas wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:24 pm
Drossi wrote:
Very nice.
You guys, this is great. Love seeing grass rods on the streams. Both nice rods, too. I, myself have a few bamboos, my favorite is a Dickerson 7012 taper, that I wrapped on a blank made by Dennis Stone. By far the nicest rod I've ever cast. 7' 4wt also. It will cast just the leader.

BiggerThomas

Post by BiggerThomas » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:36 pm

These responses are making me think back to the 'Boofests from years ago. Drossi, Rollcast, and whoever else out there with a bamboo rod--let me know if you want to hit a stream together.

rollcast

Post by rollcast » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:55 am

BiggerThomas wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:36 pm
These responses are making me think back to the 'Boofests from years ago. Drossi, Rollcast, and whoever else out there with a bamboo rod--let me know if you want to hit a stream together.
Let's do it. I'm in Glen Gardner, so most trout streams are near me.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:41 am

BiggerThomas wrote:
What, am I just a booger to you?? :lol:

Have boo, will travel.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:50 am

BiggerThomas wrote:
If you guys ever want to get together i have a long list of rods you can cast. Bob Taylors, Simroes, James Reid, Bolts, Blackburns, and more.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:20 pm

rollcast wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:55 am
BiggerThomas wrote:
Let's do it. I'm in Glen Gardner, so most trout streams are near me.
I'm in Glen Gardner as well, second street. I have a few boo rods also. I have a J.D. Wagner Quad 5 wt. that I share with a friend. I have a J.D. Wagner Trico Special 3 wt. that I pair with a Hardy St. George and I also have a Baginski 5wt. presentation rod that I am afraid to take outside :? ...we should meet up in an un-named township and fish the nice wild browns around there. Not sure on the Tapers, but they cast very well! The rod in the picture looks just like my J.D 3wt. Trico special..dark and dark red wraps...sweet!!!

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:44 pm

If you guys are ever looking for an inexpensive custom build of high quality, Munsey Wheby on the old clarks is fabulous builder who is successful in his career and i assume does it because he enjoys it. He would be a great person to have a rod built by. He hollow builds and has built a spliced joint rod for me. Just something to think about as i am not sure how much anyone knows about current builders.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:06 pm

Nothing fancy and I'm not a big 'boo snob by any means. But this rod and this reel mean a lot for other reasons. The rod is an old Montague that was in need of repair. My buddy Tim Clancy gave it to me because I helped him through his open heart surgery a few years after I went through my own, so it represents a new life. Denis Menscher did the restoration and got me a second tip. The reel is a Hardy Princess, and it belonged to my friend Rick Ege (Stonefly from this site). His brother wanted me to have it after Rick's passing a little over 2 years ago now. Something to always remember him by.
bamboo.jpg
bamboo.jpg (682 KiB) Viewed 28096 times

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:38 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:06 pm
Nothing fancy and I'm not a big 'boo snob by any means.

bamboo.jpg
You are a dry fly snob so it would be fitting if you were. 😄

BiggerThomas

Post by BiggerThomas » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:22 pm

joe_panella wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:38 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:

bamboo.jpg
Hardly. I've seen Brian tie--actually, "smudge-smash" would be the better verb--a glob of neon powerbait onto that bamboo...

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:06 pm

joe_panella wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:38 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:

bamboo.jpg
True!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: