Trolling other Forums

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
lightenup

Re: Trolling other Forums

Post by lightenup » Sat May 14, 2022 3:55 pm

Troutman wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 9:22 pm
lightenup wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 3:41 pm
Troutman wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 2:38 pm

Im surprised they got away with it. That area is heavily patrolled by NJF&G :o .
It really isn't patrolled well anymore....they are to busy to walk the road now. When they could drive the length they patrolled more. I haven't seen 1 division patroller for 2 years there. before that it wasn't very often either. Although I have used the phone number on the signs to report poachers and bait fishermen in the KLG..; especially the guy with the spider neck tattoo, wasn't saying shit to him. They might find my body in Lake Solitude if I did.
thats sad to hear. i fished there about a week straight about 4 years ago. I got checked 3 times that week. twice deep in the gorge & once under the hoffman x crossing bridge.
Four years ago seems right. I was checked 2 times in one day and once the next week. That was the only time ever. I'm 52 been fishing the Gorge since I could drive, other than those three times I have never been checked ever, even in other places.

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Sat May 14, 2022 4:25 pm

You know in all my life i have never been checked on a trout stream. I have been checked at Diamond Mill pond in Millburn, i have had my cooler checked twice by a female range on the Delaware, i have had my license checked by rangers in a boat with binoculars (I know because my buddy left his license in the car and had to run back to get it) Never on a stream though.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Sat May 14, 2022 7:05 pm

joe_panella wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 4:25 pm
You know in all my life i have never been checked on a trout stream. I have been checked at Diamond Mill pond in Millburn, i have had my cooler checked twice by a female range on the Delaware, i have had my license checked by rangers in a boat with binoculars (I know because my buddy left his license in the car and had to run back to get it) Never on a stream though.
last time I got checked was @ RV boat launch entrance. NJF&G was sitting there all summer from what I was told
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Sat May 14, 2022 7:08 pm

lightenup wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 3:55 pm
Troutman wrote:
lightenup wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 3:41 pm

It really isn't patrolled well anymore....they are to busy to walk the road now. When they could drive the length they patrolled more. I haven't seen 1 division patroller for 2 years there. before that it wasn't very often either. Although I have used the phone number on the signs to report poachers and bait fishermen in the KLG..; especially the guy with the spider neck tattoo, wasn't saying shit to him. They might find my body in Lake Solitude if I did.
thats sad to hear. i fished there about a week straight about 4 years ago. I got checked 3 times that week. twice deep in the gorge & once under the hoffman x crossing bridge.
Four years ago seems right. I was checked 2 times in one day and once the next week. That was the only time ever. I'm 52 been fishing the Gorge since I could drive, other than those three times I have never been checked ever, even in other places.
that was the 1st time I was checked ever
. Ive 56. been fishing since 10 years old
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Sat May 14, 2022 7:08 pm

Troutman wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 7:08 pm
lightenup wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 3:55 pm
Troutman wrote:

that was the 1st time I was checked ever
. Im 56. been fishing since 10 years old
Was known as Troutman1

Vance

Post by Vance » Sun May 15, 2022 7:14 am

Hi, I was checked once on Flatbrook. I lived in Pa. at the time but worked in Sparta,NJ so I would cross Flatbrook going to and coming home. I bought a NJ license and had it pinned to my back. I was fly fishing and really concentrating on my fishing when a person said how are you doing? Well let me tell you it scared the living daylights out of me. I jumped and damn near fell in but started to laugh and told the ranger you scared me . He said he was sorry and checked my license and every thing was fine. This was the only time I was ever checked in Jersey this was in the nineties. I was about fifty three at the time. I lived in Jersey most of my life. Bill the mailman

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Sun May 15, 2022 8:40 am

Vance wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 7:14 am
Hi, I was checked once on Flatbrook. I lived in Pa. at the time but worked in Sparta,NJ so I would cross Flatbrook going to and coming home. I bought a NJ license and had it pinned to my back. I was fly fishing and really concentrating on my fishing when a person said how are you doing? Well let me tell you it scared the living daylights out of me. I jumped and damn near fell in but started to laugh and told the ranger you scared me . He said he was sorry and checked my license and every thing was fine. This was the only time I was ever checked in Jersey this was in the nineties. I was about fifty three at the time. I lived in Jersey most of my life. Bill the mailman
I have been scared a few times fishing when someone talked to me. I also had a bear cross the river next to me a little closer than either of us would have liked at the old Hackettstown swimming hole ( old dam site ) I was not fishing i was just watching for a few minutes to see what was going on, next thing i know the bear and I were both looking at each other and i almost shit my pants.

FuzzyOne

Post by FuzzyOne » Sun May 15, 2022 12:18 pm

I get checked every year at least three times, but I fish more than most.

Last time was at a TCA just before the opening this year. Officer even checked bags for live bait and fish. A few weeks before that I was on the Musky at a fairly remote area and I never even saw the officer. Scared the hell out of me. He hiked a decent distance. Just checked license and he didn't even let me miss a cast. I always thank them for checking!

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Sun May 15, 2022 2:13 pm

joe_panella wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:40 am
the old Hackettstown swimming hole ( old dam site ).
I always liked that spot. especially 200ft upstream
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon May 16, 2022 10:53 am

I've been checked more times than I could ever guess. Most COs use binoculars from afar to watch anglers.

As for that spot on the Musky, there is an early effort to remove the concrete former diving platform in Hackettstown at Alumni Field/Sand Bar Park where the old swimming hole used to be. If we do that, we will restore about 700' and create 3 new pools above the former Gruendyke Mill dam we removed 15 years ago now It is considered by National Parks who oversees the Wild & Scenic Rivers of which the Musky is a part of as the only "urban park" on that river, and there is an effort to better engage the local population and get them interested in fishing and boating the river.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon May 16, 2022 2:05 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 10:53 am
As for that spot on the Musky, there is an early effort to remove the concrete former diving platform in Hackettstown at Alumni Field/Sand Bar Park where the old swimming hole used to be. If we do that, we will restore about 700' and create 3 new pools above the former Gruendyke Mill dam we removed 15 years ago now It is considered by National Parks who oversees the Wild & Scenic Rivers of which the Musky is a part of as the only "urban park" on that river, and there is an effort to better engage the local population and get them interested in fishing and boating the river.
would the pools all be on that side of the old platform ?
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon May 16, 2022 2:18 pm

Troutman wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 2:05 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
If you look at the river there, the thalweg (deepest part of the channel) should be against the Hackettstown bank as it is an outside bend. Because of the concrete platform and the town's manipulation of the river bed for so many decades, the thalweg is on the inside and widening the river. Two upper pools would be on river left (looking downstream) and the third would aim the river at the big rocky outcropping on river left where the thalweg is supposed to swap sides.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon May 16, 2022 3:36 pm

Troutman wrote:
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Did a five minute down and dirty. In no way what a regular design looks like :D

The old dive platform remains in the river. It's removal would be integral to the project of course. That and doing some restoration in a public park for the benefit of a healthy Wild & Scenic River in an urbanized area (Hackettstown)
concrete dive platform in Musky.jpg
concrete dive platform in Musky.jpg (390.21 KiB) Viewed 276259 times
The flows would be from the upper right to the lower left in case you don't know the river here or aren't used to viewing it from above.
Musky at Alumni Field.jpg
Musky at Alumni Field.jpg (259.62 KiB) Viewed 276259 times

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon May 16, 2022 6:05 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 3:36 pm
Troutman wrote:
Rusty Spinner wrote:

The old dive platform remains in the river. It's removal would be integral to the project of course. That and doing some restoration in a public park for the benefit of a healthy Wild & Scenic River in an urbanized area (Hackettstown)

The flows would be from the upper right to the lower left in case you don't know the river here or aren't used to viewing it from above.

that looks terrific...... where the petition we have to sign for this to happen ;)
Was known as Troutman1

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Mon May 16, 2022 6:26 pm

Troutman wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 6:05 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Troutman wrote:

that looks terrific...... where the petition we have to sign for this to happen ;)
Agreed...i would sign in a heartbeat....although , im sure its more about allocating moneys and getting all the proper permits....

optowalt

Post by optowalt » Mon May 16, 2022 6:59 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 10:57 am
Did I miss a major regulation change where NJ went 100% C&R only??? That must be it, because who in their right mind cares about guys catching up to their legal limits and keeping them for the table? At least one of those posters is fishing south Jersey ponds where 100% of those stocked rainbows will die by next month. Castigate the poachers, but legal anglers are legal anglers. BTW, I'm "Bucksnbows" on that site and a moderator, so I get to know most of the posters over time. That is a hunting first site, so no surprise it will have a higher percentage of catch and kill than C&R.
Well said Rusty. I love to relax by going fishing but i also enjoy a trout dinner. I also practice c&r but on occasion I keep a few. As far as how many, I also have a wife and son to feed. The law allows it and I will only keep stocked. Now about trolling other sights,

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue May 17, 2022 9:34 am

Troutman wrote:
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Troutman wrote:

No petition to sign. I was approached by a newer non-profit working in the Hackettstown area who told me the town finally wants to do more at this site including removing an eyesore and potential liability in the old concrete dive platform that kids sometimes climb on. It has rusty metal and broken concrete and is not good to leave indefinitely in the river. I think our funding model for this project, were it to ever happen, would be to engage the community and seek donations from businesses and individuals. A project like this is far under $100,000 and could be raised locally. The town could do in-kind services like hauling off of the concrete and steel posts, bringing in large boulders, etc.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed May 18, 2022 10:58 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 9:34 am
Troutman wrote:
Rusty Spinner wrote:

No petition to sign. I was approached by a newer non-profit working in the Hackettstown area who told me the town finally wants to do more at this site including removing an eyesore and potential liability in the old concrete dive platform that kids sometimes climb on. It has rusty metal and broken concrete and is not good to leave indefinitely in the river. I think our funding model for this project, were it to ever happen, would be to engage the community and seek donations from businesses and individuals. A project like this is far under $100,000 and could be raised locally. The town could do in-kind services like hauling off of the concrete and steel posts, bringing in large boulders, etc.
that would be awesome if they moved on this..............
Was known as Troutman1