Hatches

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Drossi

Hatches

Post by Drossi » Wed May 25, 2022 8:48 am

Lots of bugs popping the last 2 nights. Sulphurs, March Browns, and caddis hatching. Stupid stockies hardly working the surface but the wet fly fishing has been spectacular (more than a few savage break offs too, need to reload the fly box).

Lots of cookie cutter bows to the net, a few little smallies, and more fall fish than I cared to count.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Fishybig

Re: Hatches

Post by Fishybig » Wed May 25, 2022 8:54 am

Nice report!! Ty

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Wed May 25, 2022 9:21 am

About half the fish I caught Sunday were on the "rise" at the end of the drift simulating an emerger. Those are the best!
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed May 25, 2022 10:33 am

Drossi wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:48 am
Lots of bugs popping the last 2 nights. Sulphurs, March Browns, and caddis hatching. Stupid stockies hardly working the surface but the wet fly fishing has been spectacular (more than a few savage break offs too, need to reload the fly box).

Lots of cookie cutter bows to the net, a few little smallies, and more fall fish than I cared to count.
Just stay a little later. They will rise.

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Wed May 25, 2022 12:30 pm

lightenup wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 10:33 am
Drossi wrote:

The NY Rangers were calling last night, I dipped out of the river at 8:15. :)

The area I was fishing see a lot of non-fishing foot traffic along the river, I think that has an effect on them rising. If I was in another section, no doubt they would have been all over the sulphurs on top..
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed May 25, 2022 3:45 pm

Drossi wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 12:30 pm
lightenup wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 10:33 am
Drossi wrote:

The NY Rangers were calling last night, I dipped out of the river at 8:15. :)

The area I was fishing see a lot of non-fishing foot traffic along the river, I think that has an effect on them rising. If I was in another section, no doubt they would have been all over the sulphurs on top..
Ahh, you only needed 15 more minutes...The silly Rags would have been on. You only would have missed a few minutes of the game....priorities man.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu May 26, 2022 12:46 pm

I seldom guide these days, but did a trip on Monday on the Flatbrook. It was cool and dry that day. We had sporadic sulphurs all afternoon with fish keyed to them and rising fairly regularly. As dark approached, the hatch came off in huge numbers and suddenly the long run we were fishing was chock full of risers. When we left in the dark, I was murdering tens of thousands with my F-150 just driving home along the Flat and Little Flat. Early bugs were all Invaria and later on it was light Cahills and Dorotheas.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown