Why No Temperature Closures?

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Twism86

Why No Temperature Closures?

Post by Twism86 » Wed May 25, 2022 9:19 am

We have two catch and release sections in NJ which means if the conditions (flow and temp) are not ideal for trout survival people should not be fishing. Yet, every summer, we see people fishing and catching/releasing trout destined for a raccoon dinner.

Why doesn't NJ F&W close these sections of river to fishing when the temps rise above a certain level for consecutive days? I beleive Montana will close trout waters when temps hit 73 for 3 days in a row. Why not NJ?

Tom
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

Troutman

Re: Why No Temperature Closures?

Post by Troutman » Thu May 26, 2022 8:49 pm

Twism86 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 9:19 am
We have two catch and release sections in NJ which means if the conditions (flow and temp) are not ideal for trout survival people should not be fishing. Yet, every summer, we see people fishing and catching/releasing trout destined for a raccoon dinner.

Why doesn't NJ F&W close these sections of river to fishing when the temps rise above a certain level for consecutive days? I beleive Montana will close trout waters when temps hit 73 for 3 days in a row. Why not NJ?

Tom
because this is NJ. they dont care about trout conservation. Only selling licenses and making money
Was known as Troutman1

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Thu May 26, 2022 9:25 pm

Troutman wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 8:49 pm
Twism86 wrote:

Tom
because this is NJ. they dont care about trout conservation. Only selling licenses and making money
Don't forget about the mozzarella...we care about the mootz.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu May 26, 2022 10:33 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 9:25 pm
Troutman wrote:
Twism86 wrote:

Tom
...as well as gabagool, galamad, and scungeel. Ingelnook table wine from a jug anyone?

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Fri May 27, 2022 7:53 am

BiggerThomas wrote:
Troutman wrote:
Twism86 wrote:

Tom
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Fri May 27, 2022 7:53 am

lightenup wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 10:33 pm
BiggerThomas wrote:
Troutman wrote:

...as well as gabagool, galamad, and scungeel. Ingelnook table wine from a jug anyone?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Fri May 27, 2022 6:15 pm

Because I paid for my license and I can fish anytime wah wah wah ..... Yada yada yada ..... Even experimentally having temp closures on 1
stream would be a step in the right direction .
Watching these schmucks in the KLG with flyrods and it's 90° and they wanna be Brad Pitt makes wanna help them snorkel right where they stand .

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Sat May 28, 2022 12:32 pm

Jaybird wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 6:15 pm
Because I paid for my license and I can fish anytime wah wah wah ..... Yada yada yada ..... Even experimentally having temp closures on 1
stream would be a step in the right direction .
Watching these schmucks in the KLG with flyrods and it's 90° and they wanna be Brad Pitt makes wanna help them snorkel right where they stand .
I talked to a guy down there, said it was ok to fish because there were a couple springs that keep the water cold. I laughed at him, there may be, but it is a cold water refuge in an otherwise hot river...he didn't seem to understand. :evil:

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Tue May 31, 2022 8:59 am

lightenup wrote:
BiggerThomas wrote:
Troutman wrote:

There we go f'ing with my people again. :twisted: Remember revenge is a dish best served cold..... :lol:
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue May 31, 2022 10:28 am

Twism86 wrote:

Tom
Do you really want to compare Montana's wild trout to our stocked rainbows?? :lol:

First of all, Hoot Owl closures are wide ranging, not specific to a two mile stretch or a half mile stretch of one river. If you put those in place, it would need to be for the entire river and not just a TCA or No-Kill. Then you would have to explain to the angling public that they can't catch stocked fish raised just for them to catch and creel. There is a good reason Montana is the only state (that I know of) that does this.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue May 31, 2022 10:50 am

closed during the summer months a thermo refuge Angling prohibited from
July 1 through August 31 from Iron
Bridge at Horton downstream to first
Route 17 overpass.
The beaverkill NY
Was known as Troutman1

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Tue May 31, 2022 12:00 pm

Ok, we've all been out and about enough in our glorious state to know damn well that most people in NJ wouldn't know WTF to make of temperature closures. And those that do would likely not follow them any way cause they "paid for their" stocked trout and damn well want to fish for them, weather be damned. Besides there's just not enough CO's to enforce this.

I agree these regs would be nice but it's pissing in the wind to think that it'll happen.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Tue May 31, 2022 12:28 pm

Drossi wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 8:59 am
lightenup wrote:
BiggerThomas wrote:

There we go f'ing with my people again. :twisted: Remember revenge is a dish best served cold..... :lol:
Yo, Drossi, I'm half WOP, so you know what that makes me....Fresh Muuuzrell is best served cold anyway

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue May 31, 2022 1:29 pm

Troutman wrote:
Twism86 wrote:

Tom
Right now, NJ is being held up as the best state in the Eastern Brook Trout Joint Venture states (17 states) for their protection of native brook trout. When you say NJ doesn't care about trout conservation, the opposite is actually true. ;)

Also, if selling licenses and making money were the Division's focus, why no rate increases in decades?
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue May 31, 2022 6:14 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 1:29 pm
Troutman wrote:
Twism86 wrote:

Tom
Right now, NJ is being held up as the best state in the Eastern Brook Trout Joint Venture states (17 states) for their protection of native brook trout. When you say NJ doesn't care about trout conservation, the opposite is actually true. ;)

Also, if selling licenses and making money were the Division's focus, why no rate increases in decades?
Thats just for WTS that contains wild brookies. what about the other trout in the other rivers :?: .

Imo the state didnt increase the licenses because they sell more quantities every year then prior. And they keep the same #'s of stocked trout going into the rivers. During the beginning of the pandemic. I never seen the rivers so crowded.
Was known as Troutman1