Ramapo

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Vance

Ramapo

Post by Vance » Wed May 25, 2022 4:04 pm

Hello, Fished the Ramapo last evening. Started about 6:30. and fished until 8:00. The flies started hatching about 7:00 in the fast water with a lot of riffles. The water was about 7 or 8 inches deep. The trout in the deeper water had a feast as the flies drifted down. At first thought they were sulphurs hatching and finally caught one in my hat and found that the flies were light Cahill in a size 14. I had a ball. To think the fish were rising and no one around as far as I could see up stream and down stream. With the warmer weather the hatches will be later in the evening. It was great fishing with no one around. It felt like I had the river to my self. Bill the mailman

Troutman

Re: Ramapo

Post by Troutman » Wed May 25, 2022 5:26 pm

Vance wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 4:04 pm
Hello, Fished the Ramapo last evening. Started about 6:30. and fished until 8:00. The flies started hatching about 7:00 in the fast water with a lot of riffles. The water was about 7 or 8 inches deep. The trout in the deeper water had a feast as the flies drifted down. At first thought they were sulphurs hatching and finally caught one in my hat and found that the flies were light Cahill in a size 14. I had a ball. To think the fish were rising and no one around as far as I could see up stream and down stream. With the warmer weather the hatches will be later in the evening. It was great fishing with no one around. It felt like I had the river to my self. Bill the mailman
Now is the time to fish that river. All the weekend warriors and opening day clowns are gone. All you have to deal with is the occasional dog walkers if your fishing in the reservation area. The rest of the waters are all clear
Was known as Troutman1

Vance

Post by Vance » Thu May 26, 2022 7:19 am

Hello Troutman, I was fishing down by Glen Gray Bridge. Up stream from the bridge. I started fishing that area back in 1954 when there were no houses and no condos around. I think the condo association made the west side of the bridge private so no parking or walking on the area. It’s a shame because walking down the west side was not hurting anybody. At least the county has property on the east side of the bridge and parking for about 10 cars. I did not see any refuse around the area . The area was clean no papers flying around just stones where the parking area is. It just shows that fishermen and hikers do care about the environment. I watched a dog walker walking along a path and when the dog pooped he picked it up in a baggie. So people do care about the area which is good to see. Bill the mailman

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu May 26, 2022 10:06 am

Unrelated to this post, but directly related to the Ramapo, the Borough of Oakland is moving forward with a stream restoration project, but it seems right now to be far more about bank restoration than in-stream habitat restoration.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu May 26, 2022 8:42 pm

Vance wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 7:19 am
Hello Troutman, I was fishing down by Glen Gray Bridge. Up stream from the bridge. I started fishing that area back in 1954 when there were no houses and no condos around. I think the condo association made the west side of the bridge private so no parking or walking on the area. It’s a shame because walking down the west side was not hurting anybody. At least the county has property on the east side of the bridge and parking for about 10 cars. I did not see any refuse around the area . The area was clean no papers flying around just stones where the parking area is. It just shows that fishermen and hikers do care about the environment. I watched a dog walker walking along a path and when the dog pooped he picked it up in a baggie. So people do care about the area which is good to see. Bill the mailman
I like that area. I usually try to start @ the horse shoe & work my way back down to the bridge. I bypass the bridge area because usually its fished out, Hike down the trail then start fishing the bend. walking further down till the patriot way bridge. haul out again. walk the path about 200ft. Then fish that stretch. I dont really enjoy fishing the bridge spots as they are pretty fished out.

The TU actually made parking available that you seen @ the glen gray bridge area. The west side of that area of the bridge has been closed for a few years now. no parking signs there now
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu May 26, 2022 8:47 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 10:06 am
Unrelated to this post, but directly related to the Ramapo, the Borough of Oakland is moving forward with a stream restoration project, but it seems right now to be far more about bank restoration than in-stream habitat restoration.
The oakland stretch used to be pristine area for trout when the dam was up near potash lake. Then they removed the dam, then opened up potash lake to take in flow from the Ramapo to cut thru. It bypassed what used to be the ramapo split around the lake. That area was my youth growing up fishing there for trout.

Hope you guys get it and make a total restoration of the river
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon May 30, 2022 10:35 am

Troutman wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 8:47 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 10:06 am
The oakland stretch used to be pristine area for trout when the dam was up near potash lake. Then they removed the dam, then opened up potash lake to take in flow from the Ramapo to cut thru. It bypassed what used to be the ramapo split around the lake. That area was my youth growing up fishing there for trout.

Hope you guys get it and make a total restoration of the river
Unfortunately, the current design is nearly 100% bank restoration and no in-stream habitat improvements at all due to the presence of T&E freshwater mussels and a lack of understanding how to work around them with NJDEP, something my firm has done successfully in the Lamington River on a dam removal.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown