preference on stained or crystal clear water ?

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Troutman

preference on stained or crystal clear water ?

Post by Troutman » Fri May 27, 2022 6:31 pm

whats your preference fishing stained or crystal clear waters ? I prefer slightly stained to fish a little more stealth for my lure presentation ;)
Was known as Troutman1

lightenup

Re: preference on stained or crystal clear water ?

Post by lightenup » Sat May 28, 2022 12:33 pm

Troutman wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 6:31 pm
whats your preference fishing stained or crystal clear waters ? I prefer slightly stained to fish a little more stealth for my lure presentation ;)
I like it crystal clear. I love sight fishing, and it is more challenging. I don't like making it easy, give the fish a chance, ya' know.

Bubba Zinetti

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Tue May 31, 2022 9:38 am

If the fish are rising, then I don't care. Stained vs clear IMHO are two different beasts. Yes in stained one can get a little closer, and a bad presentation doesn't put the fish off. In stained water it can be difficult to find the fish, so there is more casting to fishy places, and trying to find where the fish are holding.

In crystal clear it can be easy to find the fish, but it can be harder to catch them. Even a perfect presentation can put them off. Watching a fish rise up and take your fly is a thrill that will never get old.

I prefer clear water. I would rather spook a fish and know that I spooked it, AND try to correct it, than cast about with only a general idea of where the fish are holding.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue May 31, 2022 10:23 am

I always prefer slightly stained for the obvious reason that you can get away with a tippet size one up over clear water. The fish see just fine, even in muddy water albeit not as far as they can in clear or slightly off color water.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

cappy

Post by cappy » Tue May 31, 2022 1:48 pm

Slightly stained gives the fisherman an advantage, which never hurts.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue May 31, 2022 2:27 pm

Stained preferred, after fishing the Flathead in Montana I more than prefer stained.